Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 07:22 AM   #91
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
I actually do - last night, I was closer to 1000 when I didn't feel like finishing my salad (I'll eat it today). I'm single, so I don't have to accommodate anyone. I have a 5 yo and she eats moderate carb and we sort of pull together a meal, some of it she eats, some I eat. I'm almost dreading the day that I have to eat in public - there's a potential romantic interest and I'm trying to already warn him that I have eccentric eating habits. But, I don't want to be that gal who just sits there and picks at her food - I ENJOY food, but how do you order an avocado with olive oil. I know, I'm kidding. I think I'd probably just order a large chef salad with no croutons and wing it.

By nature, I don't really get hungry, never really have. My biggest challenge has always been the little snacks that add up and then some dinner meals where I can consume higher volume. This NK plan has me eating smaller volume (which is a GOOD thing for me). I'm not an intuitive eater - if it tastes good, I'll finish the plate. Last night was one of the first times EVER where I was under my limits, eating a delicious low carb meal and I didn't finish it.

I wish I could do what my daughter does - she had a bowl (maybe 1/3 c. of ice cream, one of those sugar free marshmallows and a crumbled cookie) and there were two spoonfuls left when she put it in the sink. WTH - I'd have finished that ice cream and probably licked the bowl. But, I've been stressing portion control to her since she was 3 - if you're full, you do not ever have to finish (well, except the appropriate portion size of protein).
My kids are really thin, they are 3 and 5, and my husband is thin (not skinny but fit) too. I am weaning them off sugar and wheat because they are so bad for them. They eat similarly to us at this point, but eat more fruit and starchy veggies. Sometimes they get yogurt with added sugar They also go to their grandparents houses and get all lots of food I don't want them to eat.

I have a hard time with the portion control thing. I try really hard not to teach them about portion control so they have a healthy relationship with food and don't obsess about it like I do, but I still find myself telling them not to eat sometimes when they are hungry because they "just ate". I know if they are not eating all the foods that cause leptin resistance they are probably only asking for food if they need it. But then if they do get a treat with sugar or wheat (or both) I have to be more careful again because suddenly their stomachs can hold a lot more lol. Then sometimes I am just trying to get some work done and they are driving me crazy asking for food every 5 min... Whew. When I look at people who have never been overweight, like my husband, they were usually raised on whole foods- not little debbie gem donuts, like I was- and never even think about their portions. Portion control is just another thing they (dr's, nutritionists, experts, etc) tell us to do, when the problem is really a hormonal imbalance and an unhealthy relationship with food , but it is so ingrained that I have a hard time getting away from it. Now that my hormones are regulating I don't have to think about it very much.

It is good that you do not make her finish her plate, I think that was a major no-no that parents used to do. That is not really what I am talking about, which is more the idea that it is ok to eat anything if it is a small enough amount, or even that we should think about how much we are eating at all. I am trying to get much more organic about what I eat.

Last edited by EricaHV; 04-01-2014 at 07:28 AM..
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2014, 07:23 AM   #92
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
I eat out a lot so you can pick my brain if you're interested.

And I did Match.com about 8 years ago (that's how I met husband #2) and was low carbing at the time. Yes, lots of salads. it was easy. Guys aren't paying attention to what you're eating anyway. I used to love ordering Bull Bites to split with a date and drink my vodka/soda with lemon.

romantic interest! I want to hear more about that!
DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:29 AM   #93
Senior LCF Member

If I went out for dinner I would get a big steak wrapped in bacon with some green veg cooked in butter or a salad.
Old 04-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #94
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/183.6/135 (24-Jul)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Erica - for portion control, I use these bowls - they're awesome. I bought 12 of them on Amazon for about $20. Seriously though, query up: Bormioli Rocco Quattro Stagioni 10-Ounce Small Bowls. The other thing I got for my daughter when she was 3 was Bormioli Rocco Rock Bar Stackable Juice Glasses. I go to my ex's, my neighbor's house - they all have glasses that get tipped over, bumped, etc. Not me - and it gives me the chance to give my daughter about 3-5 ounces of milk, water or juice. She can always refill, but interestingly enough, when the portion is gone, she's usually done.

Both these bowls and glasses hold a little bit, can be held by a small child, won't break when dropped unless on tile.

Daisy - I'm truly not quite sure on this one - online, he's been persistent - found me, young widower with one child, seems like a nice guy, but don't they all? I did a lot of online dating back in 2006 and it's quick, efficient and easy to move along - I'd know within 10 minutes of meeting someone whether there was chemistry and had a lot of fun in the process. Apparently, he's relocating to this area (why would someone move here???) and was checking out the local market. We'll see. If something seems to be too good to be true, it usually is. I'd rather meet for coffee asap and get it out of the way.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:46 AM   #95
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Daisy - I'm truly not quite sure on this one - online, he's been persistent - found me, young widower with one child, seems like a nice guy, but don't they all? I did a lot of online dating back in 2006 and it's quick, efficient and easy to move along - I'd know within 10 minutes of meeting someone whether there was chemistry and had a lot of fun in the process. Apparently, he's relocating to this area (why would someone move here???) and was checking out the local market. We'll see. If something seems to be too good to be true, it usually is. I'd rather meet for coffee asap and get it out of the way.
Dating is definitely a numbers game. I had a vetting process back then. First they had to at least write a decent email. I wasn't grading or anything, but no gibberish or insta-crushes. If they moved it to the phone that's a great place to weed out some goofballs. People always wind up telling you who they are. Then I'm right with you, you can tell very quickly if the guy is for you when you meet face to face. Chemistry is an elusive thing.

I kinda loved dating even though it was exhausting. Take us along while you're dating! We can give our date-critiques! I'm an old remarried lady now (really old!) and would love to have vicarious dates!

Okay - back on topic: I'm not in ketosis. I've allowed some carb-creep into my life. And not enough water. I'm paying closer attention today. You know, I've heard that anything under 50 carbs is good, but it seems for me the macros are more important. Which is a big duh when it comes to the science of Keto yes?

How you doin'?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:30 AM   #96
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
Quote:
Vanilla - What's a typical calorie limit on an up day? I know that varies by person - is it done by current weight, goal weight, etc.
I replied to this, but it didn't show up. Yes, it does vary person to person based on current weight, age, and height. Mine is:

UD: 2010
DD: 402

I use lots of fats on a DD since fats keep me happy.
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #97
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi Vanilla - So your average is 1200 per day, but you flip up and down.

Interesting - i can see how the net effect might be similar. With my disastrous luck with scheduling, I can see how DD would be the wrong day socially.

Before peppering you with a bunch of additional questions, I'll poke my head over in the forum....this is interesting. I think I'd have too much fun on an UD.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:07 AM   #98
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: Oh, ya know..every morning!
That's the good thing about JUDDD - it can be adapted or changed to accomodate your social needs. Yeah, there's lots of info over there!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #99
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
[QUOTE=DaisyGG;16859902]I kinda loved dating even though it was exhausting. Take us along while you're dating! We can give our date-critiques! I'm an old remarried lady now (really old!) and would love to have vicarious /[QUOTE]

I'm an old remarried lady myself and totally remember the dates I had on my journey to find my Mr. Right. I knew immediately that each was not the right fit and was in no hurry to make a selection. For me, my two kids were priority number 1. When I met my sweetie, I was bowled over. I waited a couple of months before introducing him to the kids and they loved him too. They still do and and over 23 years later consider him their dad.

And now, back to our regular programming....still up that #%$! pound. Just keeping on plan. Thinking about getting a 'little prick' of my own though the sticks are still working. That, and that constant metallic taste in my mouth. It ebbs and flows but never quite goes away.
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:10 AM   #100
Senior LCF Member

Alright...clearly I can't seem to get just an excerpt from a post properly in quotes. How do you do that??
Old 04-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #101
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fabienne
My husband joined the keto club too last Monday. So he is very new but he loves the dishes I prepare for him. Normally he would ask me don't you just miss the spaghetti, or rice? He couldn't understand until now......lol

My scale isn't moving a bit neither
Fabienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:21 AM   #102
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Mr. Tanita said 204.0
Blood level 2. 9

I call that a day well done, a pound down and perfect blood levels.

Started a new Aqua boot camp at the recreation center today. It was really good, aerobics, weights, chin ups, a total of 8 different resistance, weight and running exercises in the pool.

Major job interview today, they've already agreed to salary requirements, meeting recruiter over coffee before they present to the state for proposed assignment on a large IT contract (it's a 3 year project, so I'm jazzed).
Old 04-03-2014, 05:54 AM   #103
Major LCF Poster!

OMgosh! Congratulations!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #104
Senior LCF Member

Congratulations!!!!!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #105
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Mr. Tanita said 204.0
Blood level 2. 9

I call that a day well done, a pound down and perfect blood levels.

Started a new Aqua boot camp at the recreation center today. It was really good, aerobics, weights, chin ups, a total of 8 different resistance, weight and running exercises in the pool.

Major job interview today, they've already agreed to salary requirements, meeting recruiter over coffee before they present to the state for proposed assignment on a large IT contract (it's a 3 year project, so I'm jazzed).
Congratulations! What an awesome day!
Old 04-03-2014, 09:51 AM   #106
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fabienne
Way to go Sbarr
Fabienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #107
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MeanieGal
Stats: 200/190/170
WOE: Ketogenic/HFLC
Start Date: March 28, 2014
Quote:
This has been a great week with HFLC - Nutritional ketosis approach is really hitting home with me. I have such a renewed enthusiasm that I'd lost in the past few years - maybe because this is REALLY working for me. It's definitely more stringent, but I've addressed that by planning my days in advance, documenting on a popular food tracking program (m.f.p.).

Using this tool (***) helped me defer a delicious already made chicken salad to the next day because it would push me over on protein. Whereas that dish would have been almost a freebie when I was exclusively counting carbs, not paying attention to protein.

I'm pretty much down 7-8# from my bloated state last weekend. I have also incorporated diatomaceous earth (JUDDD forum has a great thread on that).

My mainstay - bulletproof coffee with eggs and Jay Robb has been modified - I removed the second egg to give me some protein buffer. And, that has been an eye-opener. I always thought of eggs as "freebies" and the more protein the better, but the protein adds up. The Jay Robb might be reduced over time to better accommodate protein with mouth appeal.

The Art and Science of Low Carb came in the mail on Saturday and I want to continue reading it today. I am going to order a blood ketone meter and some sticks so that I can be more in touch with how my eating affects my blood levels.

My main goal for today is to define my eating for the rest of the week, including incorporating an anchor dish at dinner that I can eat with my 5 yo daughter. The more meals we can share together, the better habits she will develop.

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MeanieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:04 AM   #108
Major LCF Poster!

How did that interview go? We want to hear all the details!
Old 04-04-2014, 06:48 AM   #109
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Scale up a bit at 204.4, but hydration up - so, i'll take it, but I do want 204 for tomorrow
Blood level 2.0

Interestingly enough, as long as the scale continues it's gradual move downward, I'm fine, but, I'm most interested to see the ketone levels.

Interview went well, recruiter ready to move forward, took it to the account manager who felt that my skills didn't line up to the "labels" the client was looking for, but was so impressed with my resume that they want to repackage me and bid me for another role. I told them anything but project manager. I'd rather be on the technical and solutioning side. I've had a long enough vacation, and now finally starting to job hunt, so I'm not going to grab the first thing that comes along. While it's not a good job market, I do have some good niche skills.

All I have to say is thank gawd for NK and my recent progress. I somehow got roped into a play date with my old flame and his kids and my 5 yo AT THE POOL . We're going swimming, then bike riding and maybe a picnic. We get together quite a bit with the kids, but really - swimming. *sigh*
Old 04-04-2014, 06:55 AM   #110
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Scale up a bit at 204.4,

All I have to say is thank gawd for NK and my recent progress. I somehow got roped into a play date with my old flame and his kids and my 5 yo AT THE POOL . We're going swimming, then bike riding and maybe a picnic. We get together quite a bit with the kids, but really - swimming. *sigh*

I feel the same way about swimming, I totally understand. My trainer used to want to do swimming and I always rejected that. My fat is pretty smooth and not to cellulite-y or lumpy, but I still don't like exposing it, and before I had kids, when I was thin, I did not like swimsuits either. I think your friend will not care that you are in a swimsuit. He has a child, he has probably seen a woman give birth, and that is way less flattering.

That is awesome that your interview went so well!
Old 04-04-2014, 07:37 AM   #111
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Funny thing, when we were together 8 years ago, I was 140# and in great shape - LC, 5 days a week weight lifting, ellipticals. He's a runner, thin as a rail. So, he knows what I can look like, and what I look like now. I just don't want to draw too much attention to what I look like now. That said, and this is what is funny, I'm quite open with my eating and that I'm losing and would welcome an honest critique of how I look (looks good here, need to tone here), but not now. We have a bizarre platonic relationship now.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:47 AM   #112
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I'm quite open with my eating and that I'm losing and would welcome an honest critique of how I look (looks good here, need to tone here), but not now.
That is admirable, I think I would have trouble being critiqued like that, but can see the benefit that could come from getting someone else's opinion.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:45 AM   #113
Major LCF Poster!

How is family-style eating going with your daughter? Kids are so intune with what they want and what they see is good for them. Her age is such a precious age. My daughters are 31 and 28! They are still precious, but have no interest in sitting in my lap and letting me read them a story. Ha!

I wonder if the mods would move your/this thread to the journal section? Although it's just fine where it is.

No one else up at this unseemly hour? I'm the only one with insomnia? That's good!
Old 04-05-2014, 09:04 AM   #114
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Scale was 204.4, but I'm claiming 204.0 even. I pulled my quads (specifically femoral maxims, and I can feel the fluid in my thigh)
Blood ketones: 3.4 -- I'm hoping that isn't too high. I hit my macros, everything a few under, so I didn't under-eat. I'm curious to know if I should let it ride or try to modify to get the numbers lower. How ironic, to have my numbers be TOO good.

The eating is going pretty good - I need to better plan the upcoming week so that it will go more smoothly.

Good idea about possibly moving this thread. For this daily chit chat, maybe we should start a "keto challenge thread" - I'd hate for someone to get lost in this thread when there is so much great information on this forum.

Last edited by sbarr; 04-05-2014 at 09:05 AM..
Old 04-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #115
Major LCF Poster!

Adjust your stats woman! I weigh on Mondays. When does the rest of our dynamic team weigh in?
Old 04-07-2014, 03:46 AM   #116
Major LCF Poster!

I am 203 this morning! And on my weigh in morning! I am shocked and delighted at the same time.

I'm working on my ticker. That thing is adorable, but tricky.

How is everyone doing this fine morning? I do believe the sun will be shining here today and I actually slept with the window open last night. Heaven.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:59 AM   #117
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmmmmm...

Weight: 205.4 (so up 1.4 from this weekend, I think it is due to a pulled quad muscle, I can actually feel it a bit swollen).
Ketones: 2.4 (right in range)

A bit frustrating, but I am relieved to have the blood test to stay confident - and I know from my tracking that I haven't eaten above my numbers all week (let alone all month). I can empathize with the frustrated people in the Main Lobby who lose all month then stop or start gaining even though completely clean. I'll continue to eat the same as the past month for the next month and then consider minor modifications, but there isn't a lot of tweak room.

I know mini-stalls and then whooshes are common for low carb - is it also true for NK?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:05 AM   #118
Major LCF Poster!

There a phenomenon known as post-induction stall syndrome. I won't give the acronym. Some think as your body adjusts to your new eating the fat cells lose the fat, but replace it with water as a placeholder in case you change your mind. I'm probably messing up the science-speak horribly on this, but the thought is to measure your body and see if you feel smaller even though the scale number hasn't changed or it's even gone up.

For all of my complaining I need to remember what I just wrote.

Do any pieces of clothing feel looser?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:15 AM   #119
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Clothes same - too short a timeframe to evaluate, I continue to have the tightness in my stomach, like hunger, but not hungry.

I'll continue to use my closet shopping for a basis of comparison - but, since clothes aren't as discrete a measurement, I'll have to do that every couple of weeks.

Thankfully, the ketone strips continue to reinforce that I'm eating fine. If I can stay under my targets and stay 1.5-3, then I'm not doing anything wrong, just that my body isn't playing nice with the scale. Really, though, the spike in weight does coincide with my quadricep thigh pull (which is excruciating - I can't even go down stairs with my left foot leading, I have to scissor walk down stairs and even slight inclines).
Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 AM   #120
Senior LCF Member

Don't worry too much about a tiny daily up in weight ( easier said than done, I know) but our weight can vary as much as 4 lbs at different levels of hydration. Fluctuation when weighing daily is normal! I think your theory as to why is a good one. Another possibility is that you are building muscle with your new routine and muscle is much heavier than fat.

Great job on your ketones! I have not had anything close to that reading yet