Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2014, 12:46 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgee'sMom View Post
You bet my toes were painted...a nice French manicure which is kinda like this woe....exacting and precise.

Believe me.. I'm just as short - maybe even shorter (5'2" yikes)! The last number in my stats line is just my first goal. My niece's wedding is in September so I worked backwards and figured (begged is more like it) to lose 1 pound per week on average. By those calculations, I hope to be 152/153 by then. Certainly not the end result but at least feasible - or so I thought. Now I see that my body is in control and it will do as it darn well pleases. There goes the carefully planned goal!!

Having said that, I LOVE the geeky nature of this plan and love reading everything I can get my hands on. I've found that as I get thinner, people are actually starting to listen to what I tell them without too much eye rolling. My doctor has been doing this too for well over a year so I don't have to justify this woe to him either. If anything, we end up debating things like HDL/triglycerides ratios...!

We can all just quack together...
I am 5'2" also

I also am enjoying geeking out on all the books and podcasts.
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaHV View Post
I am 5'2" also

I also am enjoying geeking out on all the books and podcasts.
Shorties unite!!!
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:37 AM   #63
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DaisyGG
Stats: 211/198/155 5'7"
WOE: keto
Start Date: 3.9.14
Hey! Is this Talls vs Smalls? I'm feeling neglected!

I'm a pound down today!

Edited to add: And you guys may be way beyond me in comprehension. Some of the science behind all of this truly makes my eyes swim around in my noggin.

Last edited by DaisyGG; 03-29-2014 at 03:39 AM..
DaisyGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:43 AM   #64
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: sbarr
Stats: 220/178.2/135 (11-Sept)
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis (18 carb/70 protein/116 fat)
Start Date: Jan 2005/Jan 2011/Oct 2012/Jan 2014 - bah!!
Daisy - First, congrats on that pesky pound. Make sure you update your profile by Monday.

My dear, I have a trade for you. We can't have you feeling left out. I'll give you 30# for 3 inches. No, let me up that for you - 50! If you give me 3 inches, I will give you 50# and $500. The deal is only good until the end of the day. If you really want, I will even create a 30 second informercial. Hell, I'd even give you the 50# and 500# and I really don't need any inches, although some leg length my help me pass you in April.

Mr. Tanita still likes me - 205.8. Spent some time swimming at the community center, ate well. Hydration still a bit down, which showed a higher body fat.

Blood level: 1.0 - a great way to start the day. Almost more than anything, I'm jazzed about the blood level. I think trying to maintain and improve that blood level, plus the feeling of ketosis suggests that today will enough motivation to lock in a good day.

That said, I'm hungry this morning for the first time in over a week. I've always equated being hungry with fuel burning, a good thing, but I don't think that is really the case here. I'll have to watch this whole hunger thing - I don't mind being hungry, in some ways it's a good feeling that has a positive association for me. Ironically enough, being hungry, doesn't make me want to eat. Maybe the positive association counteracts the physical desire to eat.

No kid weekend - will be hitting the gym for weights today and planning/cooking for next week.

I am also going to inventory clothes - and see what really is too big, give it away and then see if I can create a place in the closet for closet shopping at 190 (I can also use these for clothes fit tracking). I find something that is a bit too small, but somewhat achievable in the near term and try it on occasionally, maybe once a week, maybe after a really good weighing.

What we weigh is the result of a meal, a day, a week, a month, a year of choices...

Psssst...Nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels!
sbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #65
Major LCF Poster!

Wowza! 205.8. Are you truly down nearly five pounds since last Saturday? Holy fantastic! You'll be leaving me in the dust before you know it.

Closet shopping! Let us know what happens. That's one of my favorite things. You'll find something you didn't remember and it will look good.

Have great days everyone.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:44 AM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Daisy - I was 209.6, I think, but I rounded up (maybe a bit superstitious that I don't ever want to go above my stats). I'll round up today to 206. Plus it gives me a tiny bit of buffer for next week. But, yes, I'm actually down about 4#.

Re: Closet shopping. It's so fun when you like what you have. Back when I was normal weight, I shopped at nice stores for quality, conservative items that I still like (Talbot's has great sales, but I'll have to get < 150 to really enjoy that spending spree, which should be by the end of the year). Most of my low weight stuff was from 7 years ago, but every single piece could be worn today and look good. Heck, my old Columbia winter jacket was bought in 1999 - so it's almost 15 years old, but it's in good condition, fits and looks exactly like everyone else's winter jacket.

What I'm most interested in are the clothes I bought last year that were too small - I will buy clothes that are too small (but within range if they're good quality and on sale). Granted, I haven't been able to wear them since I bought them, but they were probably around the 190-195 range, so hopefully within a month, I'll have a nice new temporary mini wardrobe.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #67
Blabbermouth!!!

Totally off keto topic, but a bit funny. Well, I went through my closet to organize my clothes for upcoming closet shopping, I had an interesting find. I bet you don't have one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo[1].JPG (98.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 03-30-2014, 04:19 AM   #68
Major LCF Poster!

Sandra - I do not, but I want one! So flippin' funny!

Do we have to stay on topic?

Last edited by DaisyGG; 03-30-2014 at 04:21 AM..
Old 03-30-2014, 06:20 AM   #69
Blabbermouth!!!

I hope not - I mean sharing an '88 Nixon campaign tee shirt should be forum fodder if it makes people laugh. It was just so funny, and shows my age - i bought this in college. A girlfriend invited me to go to a bar where her husband's band is playing - maybe I could wear it as a cougar shirt and only dance with the guys who were born after I bought the tee shirt.

Ketones are good, scale is steady:

1.6 vs. 206 (up slightly in weight, but down body fat) - but, the scale seems almost anticlimactic after last weeks "run". I probably should have bought a lottery ticket last week.

Clothes are all sorted by weight - 190 will be a nice time. I have a lot of nice stuff I bought for that weight even when I was above and it will fit nicely right about that weight. 180 isn't bad and 170 will be slim pickings.

However, there is one thing I don't have - a swim suit that's not just beach and pool. I started swimming with my friend and we are signing up for an Aqua Boot Camp - 1 hour a week and hopefully they will kick our butts.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #70
Major LCF Poster!

Oh swimming sounds divine! Are you going swim suit shopping?

My husband and I are going to Jamaica in three weeks and I need to get into my closet and figure out what I will bring and which swimsuits will fit.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:19 AM   #71
Blabbermouth!!!

Nice, where in Jamaica? I was there back in the mid 90's, stayed in Negril (I still have my old Negril tee shirt, oh, no, a pattern, promise, only Negril and Nixon, that's it, my only ancient tee shirts) - Negril was still a bit rustic. I'm sure it's much more developed. We did a week in the Bahamas last month, but, damn it, I wore my suit, took pictures, you name it. I'll probably use that as my pre-diet baseline.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #72
Major LCF Poster!

Negril! I'm excited to be going. We always go somewhere warm and relaxing every year after tax season, but for the past few years it has been Mexico which I love. Husband wanted to check out something different, but frankly we just like to drink, sun, walk on the beach, and eat lovely food so any beach will do for me. Viva la All Inclusives!
Old 03-30-2014, 08:36 AM   #73
Blabbermouth!!!

We did Atlantis in Bahamas last month and it was great. Horribly expensive, but if we go back, I'll know how to do it much cheaper.

So, question for you - when you go on a special vacation like that, do you stay on plan or will you just stay basically low carbish unless it's something amazing and local?

Me, I stay pretty clean, don't count but will indulge if there's something amazing. I'm very good at getting back on track the first day after a vacation - I usually start by fasting on the flight home.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:39 AM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Daisy - no height discrimination here...it's just that we shorties have to stand on each other's shoulders in order to see anything! And congrats on that pound! How lovely you'll be going to Jamaica. Enjoy every minute!

Sbarr - love the Nixon t-shirt! What a treasure. And wow! 205.8! You are just racing along. Be sure to wave on your way by as I'm sure I'll still be crawling along, playing this two down one up game. My body loves this game...
Old 03-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #75
Blabbermouth!!!

BM...no, that's not a good abbreviation, so, I'll write it out: Bridgee'sMom, here this is better B'mom - 2 down and 1 up is just fine. What's your approximate loss rate? I'm desperately hoping 1.5-2# per week, but my target to get to 150 by the end of the year is 1.5/week and down to 1/week at the end of the year. I'm hoping I can get ahead of the curve for the upcoming month to allow for potential stalls. But, I really really want to be in the 140's by next February when I hope to go on a winter break vacation with my daughter.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

BM... Just cracks me up!! You can call me Kathee. I'm waiting to be able to add a signature and I'll put it there. Though BM is so funny!

As far as my loss rate goes, for the first month and a half or so, I was right on track with a pound/per week average. Then I hit that two week period and blam...nothing. (Yes, I know it's normal but still...) Then this week down two, now back up one. I remember this pattern from the last time I was strictly low carb. (Frankly, I've been mostly low carb for about 10 years (with cheats that I thought I should be able to handle...not). It was only getting totally fed up with no progress that I decided to get totally serious and found N.K. My husband and I attended a seminar recently where Eric Westman, Jeff Volek and Stephen Phinney, among others were speakers. I really got the message that you can't play with this and that for it to really work, you have to adhere strictly to N.K. Dr. Westman said that if you are diabetic, one cheat can stall your progress for 2-3 weeks! Yikes!

l now know that I cannot cheat in any way and that I MUST stay the course - no matter what. I am committed - sometimes I think maybe I should be committed...!

How about you? What type of pattern are you experiencing?
Old 03-30-2014, 03:22 PM   #77
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
We did Atlantis in Bahamas last month and it was great. Horribly expensive, but if we go back, I'll know how to do it much cheaper.

So, question for you - when you go on a special vacation like that, do you stay on plan or will you just stay basically low carbish unless it's something amazing and local?

Me, I stay pretty clean, don't count but will indulge if there's something amazing. I'm very good at getting back on track the first day after a vacation - I usually start by fasting on the flight home.
I drink like I'm ready for my closeup, but stick to non-sugary stuff. I eat a large and fantastic breakfast which is so easy to stay on plan. In Mexico the coffee is so delicious and wonderful that we always linger a bit for breakfast. And the bacon is wondrous. I don't know how Jamaica will be.

I usually skip lunch unless we've been swimming tons or playing lots of volleyball. Then we have a fantastic dinner and again, it's easy to stay fairly good. Then I will have a tiny dessert. There usually is a display of these tiny scrumptious desserts. So I always pick one. So far I've never come home fatter. Probably due to all the good walking and other activities.

That's so smart to start fasting on the plane! Smart smart. I will follow your lead.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #78
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgee'sMom View Post
Daisy - no height discrimination here...it's just that we shorties have to stand on each other's shoulders in order to see anything! And congrats on that pound! How lovely you'll be going to Jamaica. Enjoy every minute!

Sbarr - love the Nixon t-shirt! What a treasure. And wow! 205.8! You are just racing along. Be sure to wave on your way by as I'm sure I'll still be crawling along, playing this two down one up game. My body loves this game...
We who are a bit taller will help you guys see. Girls gotta stick together. Smalls and talls.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:13 AM   #79
Major LCF Poster!

Monday morning checkin women!

I'm up a bit. I adjusted my flair or whatever it is called. Why cannot I remember what that is called??

My Avatar. My stats! Yes, my stats. I adjusted my stats. I promise to only adjust that bad boy on Mondays.

How are you guys doing?
Old 03-31-2014, 06:14 AM   #80
Blabbermouth!!!

Hmmmm, browser crashed, lost a better post than this one.

Good morning, keto-peepettes, well, until we get a peep, we are equal opportunity losers.

Ketones 1.4
Weight 206

I did have a bit of a late night snack to get in some fat and protein, but in hindsight, I probably should have just passed - it wasn't much, just a couple slices of deli turkey and some cheese with a little bit of mayo.

OK, Who's in? Who's in the race....so far, I have B'Mom, Daisy, Mimosa and Sandra... anyone else, totally free to join. All we have to do is help one another, pick up the fallen bodies and keep going. Anyone else, please speak up. I'll just post start, current, goal and % to goal, which seems to be the most balanced (which, since we all seem to be unbalanced, is a good thing).
Old 03-31-2014, 08:49 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Good morning! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Mine are always so busy as I usually make a big Sunday dinner for the grown kids and their kidlets. I suppose it's a good thing but I don't get to eat much. We added three new babies last year to the family and now have a total of 5 grand babies! My daughter had twins and that keeps me busier than I could ever have imagined. Very unbalanced...but wonderful! I can't figure how to upload a picture to a post or I'd show you how cute they are.

At any rate, I'm up a pound but as I've said, my body is in control and it will let go of it when it's ready.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
I weigh in and test blood once a week, on Tuesday. (it stresses me out, so I only weigh once a week to reduce the stress & cortisol that comes with it)

I am happy with whatever I get I can tell I am progressing, just because I feel better. I do think it is going to be a good week though.
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:16 AM   #83
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: vanilla_latte
Stats: Weigh/Too/Much!
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 9/22/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarr View Post
vanilla - yes, I change them on Saturdays on my profile.

I don't know a lot about JUDD other than in some ways it sounds fun (and dangerous) to have an up day, but if I recall, the up days aren't that different than the macros on NK, right?

I hate the concept of cheating, but am curious about NK and off-plan decisions. At some point, I suspect there will be a celebration dinner or something where even eating clean could shoot past the limit. Not intending short of something truly amazing and nothing tastes as good as ketosis feels....ohhhhhh, another one for my signature.
Good job on the loss! The "cheating" is the one thing I'm concerned about if I were to jump over to legit NK eating. I can low carb throughout the week, but it's the weekend where I might have a carbier meal or a drink.

As for JUDDD, the UD can be dangerous for those that overdo it. Me, I have to make sure I'm eating enough. Years of dieting have caused me to actually underestimate what I'm eating, I guess. There's no macros on JUDDD. The premise is that the swing between UD and DD calories keeps the body constantly guessing. But, it can be done low carb style as well as fit within any other WOE.

I'll still be lurking, but after thinking and discussing with DH (he's so patient!) all weekend, I'm going to continue with JUDDD for at least the month of April.

Rock on, ladies!

Yes, I'm going to track every loss when I get it!
vanilla_latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #84
Blabbermouth!!!

Vanilla - What's a typical calorie limit on an up day? I know that varies by person - is it done by current weight, goal weight, etc.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:27 AM   #85
Major LCF Poster!

I am feeling particularly unbalanced this morning. Who's with me!

Old 04-01-2014, 03:32 AM   #86
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Hi All!
I'm flying by, haven't got time to chat, am super busy at work!

Will check in properly once things settle down here...

xxx
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:04 AM   #87
Major LCF Poster!

Oh you are doing so good! What do you keep your calories and macros at? ::edited to say this is a very bad sentence, but I'm not going to fix - way too crab-arse::

I'd love to know.

I am exactly like you regarding appetite. I'm not generally ever starving, but I can eat like a lumberjack. Bah

Last edited by DaisyGG; 04-01-2014 at 06:05 AM..
Old 04-01-2014, 06:41 AM   #88
Blabbermouth!!!

~1400 calories
18 carbs (5%)
117 fat (75%)
70 protein (20%)
Old 04-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #89
Major LCF Poster!

Oh that's a beautiful thing. Do you hit it pretty much every day? Good good job.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #90
Blabbermouth!!!

I actually do - last night, I was closer to 1000 when I didn't feel like finishing my salad (I'll eat it today). I'm single, so I don't have to accommodate anyone. I have a 5 yo and she eats moderate carb and we sort of pull together a meal, some of it she eats, some I eat. I'm almost dreading the day that I have to eat in public - there's a potential romantic interest and I'm trying to already warn him that I have eccentric eating habits. But, I don't want to be that gal who just sits there and picks at her food - I ENJOY food, but how do you order an avocado with olive oil. I know, I'm kidding. I think I'd probably just order a large chef salad with no croutons and wing it.

By nature, I don't really get hungry, never really have. My biggest challenge has always been the little snacks that add up and then some dinner meals where I can consume higher volume. This NK plan has me eating smaller volume (which is a GOOD thing for me). I'm not an intuitive eater - if it tastes good, I'll finish the plate. Last night was one of the first times EVER where I was under my limits, eating a delicious low carb meal and I didn't finish it.

I wish I could do what my daughter does - she had a bowl (maybe 1/3 c. of ice cream, one of those sugar free marshmallows and a crumbled cookie) and there were two spoonfuls left when she put it in the sink. WTH - I'd have finished that ice cream and probably licked the bowl. But, I've been stressing portion control to her since she was 3 - if you're full, you do not ever have to finish (well, except the appropriate portion size of protein).