Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 04:49 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 3fatcats
Stats: 184/163.5/160? , 5'7" learn to maintain!
WOE: NK-Stillmans-Atkins
Hungry NOW!

I've been on NK for months now. I recently entered a "Get Active Get fit" contest and work (2 weeks in) and want to get down to 160. I've lost 4 bs i these 2 weeks. one day a week I've been doing spin for 2 hours and the rest of the days either walk or spin for an hour. I've been measuring /weighing my food since I am so close to goal. I have been keeping cals to 1500-1800 a day, protein @ 80-90. I feel fine. This last three days I am increasinly hungry...like NOW! I'm controlling myself and having a little fat/meat,. I know this happens to me on Atkins, but haven't had this on NK. Do you think it's just a phase or my body fighting back for the last lbs and I just stick it out? I've had kids, 36 years old so my body won't be perfect but a couple more off the top of the thighs and tum would be welcome!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3fatcats View Post
I've been on NK for months now. I recently entered a "Get Active Get fit" contest and work (2 weeks in) and want to get down to 160. I've lost 4 bs i these 2 weeks. one day a week I've been doing spin for 2 hours and the rest of the days either walk or spin for an hour. I've been measuring /weighing my food since I am so close to goal. I have been keeping cals to 1500-1800 a day, protein @ 80-90. I feel fine. This last three days I am increasinly hungry...like NOW! I'm controlling myself and having a little fat/meat,. I know this happens to me on Atkins, but haven't had this on NK. Do you think it's just a phase or my body fighting back for the last lbs and I just stick it out? I've had kids, 36 years old so my body won't be perfect but a couple more off the top of the thighs and tum would be welcome!
You are doing fantastic!! To answer your question - yes I do think that is the case. But I also have to wonder if it is not hormones? As women, we are subject to bigger swings and bigger 'reactions'. It could be that in combination with the bodies efforts to conserve body fat.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msjake
Stats: 175/173/130
WOE: LCHF/NK
Is all the activity you have been doing a new thing? If so you probably need to eat more since you're demanding more from your body. You may need to up your fat/protein intake.
msjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MeanieGal
Stats: 200/190/170
WOE: Ketogenic/HFLC
Start Date: March 28, 2014
I'm sooooooooooooooooooo HUNGRY. Let me correct myself. I'm either completely NOT hungry or I'm ravenous! This morning I took some advice and made myself a cup of coffee with 1/2 cup Half and Half (I haven't bought heavy cream yet, but will today) and 1 tablespoon butter with my davinci SF syrup. It wasn't hard to drink, the taste was yummy, but the mouth feel....MEH! Anyhow, I was totally full from this coffee at 8:45 am and now it's 10:04 am and my stomach is GROWLING like a bear.

I'm having some trouble with getting into ketosis really good, so I'm upping my fat and I'm going to lower my carbs from 25 to 18. I read in a link that if your ketones are .2 or .3 on the urine strip in the morning when you wake up, that you were never really in ketosis the day before. WHAT??? I've never heard such a thing. I don't eat after 6pm as a general rule and if I don't test until 4:30 to 5:00 am the next morning, wouldn't it be normal for my urine ketones to be low????? PLEASE ADVISE.
MeanieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 12:33 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanieGal View Post
I'm sooooooooooooooooooo HUNGRY. Let me correct myself. I'm either completely NOT hungry or I'm ravenous!
Rule #1 of low-carbing: eat fat and/or protein when you're truly hungry. Rule #2, don't eat when you're not hungry (i.e. you've got the munchies). If you think you're hungry, eat a hard-boiled egg; if you're still hungry 10 minutes later, have another.

Now, with all the exercise you're doing, it's no wonder you're hungry. Exercise makes you hungry, and it's the reason so many people who try to exercise the fat off don't succeed. Our bodies will always try to fill the calorie deficit and prompt us to eat more to fill the void. That's not to say you shouldn't exercise; just expect the increased hunger and plan your food accordingly. Take along a protein shake with a bit of carb to it (5-10 grams) to have after your workout. You'll use up the carb immediately, and the protein will help your body repair the muscle damage that accompanies exercise.

Quote:
This morning I took some advice and made myself a cup of coffee with 1/2 cup Half and Half...I was totally full from this coffee at 8:45 am and now it's 10:04 am and my stomach is GROWLING like a bear.
I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but 1/2 cup of half & half is around 5 g carbs, all of it from milk sugar. That can easily trigger cravings after a short time. Switch to heavy cream in your coffee and be mindful of your portions. If you want to up your fat content to quell cravings, try bulletproof coffee instead - melt 1 TB butter plus 1 TB coconut oil in your coffee, and blend it for about 30 seconds. It is very satisfying and actually tastes like coffee with cream, but has no carbs.

Quote:
I don't eat after 6pm as a general rule and if I don't test until 4:30 to 5:00 am the next morning, wouldn't it be normal for my urine ketones to be low????? PLEASE ADVISE.
Yes, it is normal for ketones to be lower in the morning, which is why you want that to be your baseline reading. It shows you whether or not you're really in fat-burning mode. If it's below 0.5 ketones in the morning, your body still hasn't quite gotten into ketosis, but stick with it - it can take a few weeks to adapt fully.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote