Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wish
Stats: 215/188/145
WOE: trying to figure it out, it changes
Start Date: January 18 2014
low energy, still have hunger

I have been doing this diet for almost 8 weeks. I think my highest carb day was 45 grams but I usually stick to between 20-30grams. I also try and watch my protein and I stick to around 100grams, my fats are somewhere between 100-150grams, calories are around 2000.

I thought maybe by now I have become "keto adapted" but I don't have the two main signs of adaptation. Infact I would like to know how I can get more energy (my energy is kinda low, especially on workout days) and I still feel hungry after 3-4 hours of eating. I used to get hungry almost right after a meal from insulin resistance but thankfully I don't have that problem anymore.

Is it just going to take more time or am I doing something wrong?
wish is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
My suggestion would be:

- stick to 20 carbs or fewer a day
- Cut back on protein, Protein can turn into glucose if you have more than you need.
- add more fat

When I looked up my macros I got
20 g Carb, 60-80 g protein, 200-300 g fat.
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by wish View Post
I have been doing this diet for almost 8 weeks. I think my highest carb day was 45 grams but I usually stick to between 20-30grams. I also try and watch my protein and I stick to around 100grams, my fats are somewhere between 100-150grams, calories are around 2000.

I thought maybe by now I have become "keto adapted" but I don't have the two main signs of adaptation. Infact I would like to know how I can get more energy (my energy is kinda low, especially on workout days) and I still feel hungry after 3-4 hours of eating. I used to get hungry almost right after a meal from insulin resistance but thankfully I don't have that problem anymore.

Is it just going to take more time or am I doing something wrong?
I think that you are eating too many carbs. You should stay under 20 a day. You also may have to reduce your protein intake.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

thanks for the responses although this news makes me crabby, I don't want to be going lower than 20g of carbs!

I got a macro ratio from someone on here using the Volek/Phinney calculation. With an ideal goal of 150 lbs, I can eat 2386 calories, 102g protein, 30g carbs and 220g fat. This does sound a little too good as I have never lost weight eating that many calories, I am considering trying it for a few days though.

Another reason someone pointed out that I may be feeling this way is that it is the end of winter and my vitamin D is probably low (even though I try and supplement it). I have seen VERY little of sun, the snow is just starting to melt and it is still not nice enough to go walking. We have a lot of ice everywhere and some deep puddles, it is a real mess! I look forward to the sunshine and I hope it helps.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Sunshine can only help!

Must say I agree with PPs, that you might be best to cut the carbs (and the total calories). Seems on the high side to me. That said, and I never believed I would get to the point of saying this, but hunger is really past tense to me now. I don't feel deprived. As my name says, it does take some patience.

Formulas are just general guidelines and P and V seem to be writing more about males. Please correct me if I am wrong. You can start with a formula, but as we say here, YMMV.

Last edited by Patience; 03-12-2014 at 04:33 PM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I don't know what p and v or ymmv means :/ anyone willing to educate me?
Old 03-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Your mileage may vary. YMMV.
Philley and Volek, sorry I meant to spell out and forgot to go back and fix.
My point being though that it is not the gospel, just a starting point.
We each must find our own way, with lots of good feed back from LCF members.

Last edited by Patience; 03-12-2014 at 05:14 PM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Ah, Thank you.

I do not think P&V are for men only, but they do caution about protein intake, and it seems like more men do this lifestyle in general, but I may be wrong also. I totally agree with YMMV, and think that the calculators are a pretty loose estimate.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

yes it looks like the macro's are highly individual. I am having trouble accepting 20 or less grams of carbs as a lifestyle, I can do it for a few months but I would rather not. I would rather be between 20 and 30 and on the rare occasion up to 45grams. I am trying to fit in nuts, berries and baked things along with a good amount of veggies, that sounds more of something I can do long term and I am in it for the long haul. I am losing weight slowly, which is fine. I am just concerned about the lack of energy (and in my other post, lack of energy during exercise). I guess that could be because of so many reasons. I shouldn't have asked about the hunger part because I manage it by eating and it isn't problematic like before when I was insulin resistant.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
thanks for the responses although this news makes me crabby, I don't want to be going lower than 20g of carbs!

I got a macro ratio from someone on here using the Volek/Phinney calculation. With an ideal goal of 150 lbs, I can eat 2386 calories, 102g protein, 30g carbs and 220g fat. This does sound a little too good as I have never lost weight eating that many calories, I am considering trying it for a few days though.

Another reason someone pointed out that I may be feeling this way is that it is the end of winter and my vitamin D is probably low (even though I try and supplement it). I have seen VERY little of sun, the snow is just starting to melt and it is still not nice enough to go walking. We have a lot of ice everywhere and some deep puddles, it is a real mess! I look forward to the sunshine and I hope it helps.
When I eat too many carbs and protein, I get hungry. I have found that for me, keeping my carbs and protein low, and adding in fat that I feel the best. Fat makes my brain happy. I eat less than 15 grams of carb and less than 40 grams of protein. I fill in my calories with fat. Of course everyone is different, so you will have to experiment and find out what works for you.
Carolyn
Old 03-14-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
yes it looks like the macro's are highly individual. I am having trouble accepting 20 or less grams of carbs as a lifestyle, I can do it for a few months but I would rather not. I would rather be between 20 and 30 and on the rare occasion up to 45grams. I am trying to fit in nuts, berries and baked things along with a good amount of veggies, that sounds more of something I can do long term and I am in it for the long haul. I am losing weight slowly, which is fine. I am just concerned about the lack of energy (and in my other post, lack of energy during exercise). I guess that could be because of so many reasons. I shouldn't have asked about the hunger part because I manage it by eating and it isn't problematic like before when I was insulin resistant.
Nuts are a problem for many. I would avoid those if you are not losing weight. They also never fill a person up. I could eat nuts all day and never get full. I avoid them because they cause me to stall and gain weight.
Carolyn
Old 03-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Wish, I find salt, bone broths, marrow, brains/liver/kidneys, lots of egg yolks, pastured butter, CLO, Vit D, and gelatin most helpful in feeling well.

It can take a good while to really get keto-adapted. In Dr. Wolfgang Lutz's book, Life Without Bread, he states that it can take months, or in the case of older people, or those who are ill, that it can take years.

I wish you happy, successful experimenting.

Last edited by Auntie Em; 03-16-2014 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: corrections
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

thank you so much friends!

I agree that it can take a long time to adapt and my body/metabolism is/was extremely broken from many years of abuse. I guess I want good changes to happen over night but it took a long time to develop the problems I have. Anyways, so far I have seen nothing but amazing results in 2 months and I am always eating. I thought I was at a stall and that I needed to reduce my calories (which is why I was worried about hunger) but I am not sure now, I seem to be fitting into things that I didn't think I would ever wear again, my waist is the smallest it has been in many many years. I really should throw my scale in the garbage but I am too addicted to seeing those numbers each morning

FOr now I am just going to eat if I am hungry.

Regarding energy, I forgot about something that I had known about, SALT. I really need to remember to have boullion every day, potassium and magnesium. My body is most certainly missing the sun on my skin (I am in a northern climate), I take vitamin D but I really don't know if it is working.