Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Possible to Under-Eat in NK?

I am new to nutritional ketosis, and loving it, but I worry that I am not eating enough. I only eat if I am hungry, but that seems to be very rare. Once or twice a day, even though I am fairly active.

I know in other diets you can under-eat, but since I am burning fat stores when I don't eat it seems like it should not really matter if I am not hungry, but I just don't know.
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome Erica.

I wouldn't be worried about under eating at this point. Your body is adapting to a new boss in town (fat) and once it gets with the program, your appetite will improve. It really is chronic 'under eating' that one needs to be concerned about. When you do eat, be sure to get in nutrient dense foods and you will be fine.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:21 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
Thank you! I have had that problem before with the more standard low fat (ineffective) diet, but usually was also grumpy. Now I feel awesome all the time and have lots of energy... I even felt pretty good the last few times I worked out. I also have a lot of weight to lose so there is a lot of fat to pull from
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 03:48 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Just don't under eat intentionally. It is easy to do in n.k. because the hunger signals are muted. Jimmy Moore talks about going 24 hours fasted and then having a gigantic meal. That might be a over the top for females. I would be sure to have at least bpc or broth or both.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenandchic
WOE: Paleo, heading towards, Ketosis
Start Date: 2006
Its easy for me to under eat if I'm sticking to my fat, protein, carb ratios. I also work out (heavy weights) so I do worry about not getting enough nutrition...
greenandchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
Thank you so much for asking this question. I am new too, having been on NK for 2 1/2 months. I have had success and have been losing, on average, 1 pound per week. In the last few days, weight loss has come to a halt and a bit of weight has been regained. I've been faithfully tracking everything. In general, I've kept carbs well under 20 total (most days, from 10-15). I am also keeping protein anywhere from 65ish to 35ish. Lately, total calories have been between 650-1000 just due to lack of hunger.

I had the pleasure of attending a conference March 1st where the speakers were Eric Westman, M.D., Jeff Volek, Steve Phinney, and Jay Wortman. An amazing experience to be sure but one of the pearls imparted by Dr. Westman was eat when you're hungry; stop when you're full. I must admit now I wonder if you can under eat.
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:29 PM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgee'sMom View Post
Thank you so much for asking this question. I am new too, having been on NK for 2 1/2 months. I have had success and have been losing, on average, 1 pound per week. In the last few days, weight loss has come to a halt and a bit of weight has been regained. I've been faithfully tracking everything. In general, I've kept carbs well under 20 total (most days, from 10-15). I am also keeping protein anywhere from 65ish to 35ish. Lately, total calories have been between 650-1000 just due to lack of hunger.

I had the pleasure of attending a conference March 1st where the speakers were Eric Westman, M.D., Jeff Volek, Steve Phinney, and Jay Wortman. An amazing experience to be sure but one of the pearls imparted by Dr. Westman was eat when you're hungry; stop when you're full. I must admit now I wonder if you can under eat.
Welcome! Wow, you are so fortunate to have been able to attend that conference!

I do think under eating is entirely possible and. An also be counter productive to weight loss or even maintenance. The reason being that chronic under eating can down regulate metabolism. Dr. Phinney has said that under 1200 calories is not something anyone should do on a regular basis.
Old 03-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bridgee'sMom
Stats: 194/174/150ish
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Welcome! Wow, you are so fortunate to have been able to attend that conference!

I do think under eating is entirely possible and. An also be counter productive to weight loss or even maintenance. The reason being that chronic under eating can down regulate metabolism. Dr. Phinney has said that under 1200 calories is not something anyone should do on a regular basis.
Thank you for the warm welcome! I was VERY fortunate to attend a conference that had so many of the giants in this field. I had a front row seat and took copious notes. I just wanted to absorb it all.

As far as under eating is concerned, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that it is indeed possible. This woe has done too good a job taking away hunger. Ah, such a problem...!
Bridgee'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 117/112
WOE: Ketosis/Mod Fat
I am with you. I feel like I underestimate all the time but I just can't force food. Not worth the stress of it for me. I Have tried it but it always backfires and feel horrible. But that's just me. Lol
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote