Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Converting grams to ounces... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/824787-converting-grams-ounces.html)

snowangel9 03-03-2014 05:04 PM

Converting grams to ounces...

My daughter has a question that I can't answer. According to the formula in MerryKate's post, her protein requirement would be 112 grams per day. For some reason she's trying to convert that to ounces and it comes out to 4 oz.

I don't get it, she doesn't get it. Help! :dunno:

clackley 03-03-2014 05:15 PM

It depends on whether you are talking weight or the content of the food. Each ounce of protein contains approx. 7 grams of protein. Each ounce of weight of protein equals approx. 28 grams of weight.

snowangel9 03-03-2014 05:51 PM

Thanks Cathy. I'll see if I can get her to understand that. I may have to ponder it for a minute myself! I don't know why she wants to complicate things. Must be the middle child syndrome. :laugh:

snowangel9 03-03-2014 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16822713)
It depends on whether you are talking weight or the content of the food. Each ounce of protein contains approx. 7 grams of protein. Each ounce of weight of protein equals approx. 28 grams of weight.

Okay, let's see if I get this. Each ounce of weight of protein equals approx 28 grams of weight. So, 28*4=112 grams of protein? Oh heck, I still don't quite get it. Looking at a nutrition label, is that by weight then when it gives you protein grams? Sorry, it just doesn't take much to confuse me sometimes. :laugh:

clackley 03-03-2014 06:34 PM

Just take the weight in ounces and forget about weight in metric (grams). The amount of protein grams per ounce is approx. 7.

snowangel9 03-03-2014 06:39 PM

Ohh, okay. That makes it easier. Thanks for being patient enough to explain 'till I got it! :o

clackley 03-03-2014 06:40 PM

My pleasure!

ravenrose 03-03-2014 08:31 PM

the other confusion is that you are measuring the protein content of the food, not the food in total. a "protein" food like meat or egg is also largely water and fat... so the total weight of a serving is a lot more than the "grams of protein" it contains.

sbarr 03-04-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16822904)
the other confusion is that you are measuring the protein content of the food, not the food in total. a "protein" food like meat or egg is also largely water and fat... so the total weight of a serving is a lot more than the "grams of protein" it contains.

Exactly.

That may be the source of the confusion - when converting straight grams to ounces, 112 grams/28 grams per ounce = 4 ounces of protein, but you need to eat considerably more protein rich food to get that 4 ounces of protein. To use a couple of examples that are protein-rich.

Egg - weight is 50 grams but protein is 6 grams, so you would need to eat 18.6 eggs weighing 930 grams to get 112 grams of protein

Amount Per 1 large (50 g)
Calories 78
Protein 6 g

Tuna - weight is 165 grams but protein is 42, so you would need to eat 2.6 cans of tuna, weighing 438.9 grams to get 112 grams of protein

Serving Size 1 can (165 g)
Calories 191
Protein 42.1g

snowangel9 03-04-2014 11:26 AM

Thanks Cathy, Raven and sbarr! I tried explaining it to her and I don't think she believes me. :laugh: Kids!! I will have her read your responses. Then maybe she'll get it too! You know how that is, kids will listen better if it isn't coming from Mom. :)

lovetoknit 03-12-2014 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowangel9 (Post 16822698)
My daughter has a question that I can't answer. According to the formula in MerryKate's post, her protein requirement would be 112 grams per day. For some reason she's trying to convert that to ounces and it comes out to 4 oz.

I don't get it, she doesn't get it. Help! :dunno:

4 oz of meat has approximately 28 grams of protein. This is nutrition info. If you eat chicken, it has about 8 grams of protein per ounce. Pork has about 6 grams of protein per ounce. Cheese has about 7 grams of protein per ounce and also fish has that amount. Many of us avoid chicken, because it is so high in protein. I keep my protein levels pretty low.
Carolyn