Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenandchic
WOE: Paleo, heading towards, Ketosis
Start Date: 2006
Paleo/Ketosis? What are you eating?

I'm going from long-term Primal to Paleo to Ketosis and need more ideas as to what to eat. I noticed a lot of people in this thread does dairy (cream, cheese) for their fat and I am intolerant (though I can have ghee).

What do you eat in Paleo/Keto?
greenandchic is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
If you're used to eating a good amount of meat already, you should have an easy time of switching. Make sure you're using fatty cuts of meat - for example, buy 73% lean ground beef instead of the "healthy" 90% most grocery stores are promoting. It's cheaper and it's better for you, keto-wise. And keep an eye on your protein grams. It's important to know your optimal protein intake and don't go above that.

Since you're dairy intolerant, you can use coconut milk and coconut cream as you would cow's cream. You can even whip coconut cream to make desserts. Just keep an eye on the carb content, and buy products made for the asian market - they're much lower in sugar. Coconut oil is a staple in my keto diet. For dinner I'm having cabbage stir-fried in coconut oil, to be served with meat.

I also eat nuts and bake with nut flours. You can have some "goodies" as long as you use sugar-free sweeteners - no honey or agave (which I understand are allowed in primal).

Hope you enjoy the keto life!
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenandchic
WOE: Paleo, heading towards, Ketosis
Start Date: 2006
Thanks for the heads up! I eat a lot of coconut so that's not a problem. Ill keep an eye out for fattier meats and fish.
greenandchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
Quote:
If you're used to eating a good amount of meat already, you should have an easy time of switching. Make sure you're using fatty cuts of meat - for example, buy 73% lean ground beef instead of the "healthy" 90% most grocery stores are promoting. It's cheaper and it's better for you, keto-wise. And keep an eye on your protein grams. It's important to know your optimal protein intake and don't go above that.
Not so easy to do. If you are truly Paleo and get only grass fed meat, you can't just go to the grocery store and buy fattier meat--grass fed meat tends to be exceptionally LEAN. There are some fattier cuts if you eat them. You might have to compromise with some organic but not pastured meats, though they are usually fed organic soy--a reason I try to eat pastured as much as possible.

Use more fat in cooking from animal sources and coconut oil, use plenty of ghee and dress things with olive oil after cooking. Add oils to hot beverages, and don't skim all the fat from broths. You may want to up your egg yolk count. I make egg custards for breakfast in my electric pressure cooker. And plenty of avocados!
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote