Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 03:53 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lavramu
vegetarians on keto?

Hi all,

I am a vegetarian . I eat eggs though. I am running out of recipes and eggs are getting boring. I eat paneer made from whole milk, butter, ghee etc. But the base is usually eggs. I add in cream cheese etc sometimes.

Any suggestions?

when is it okay to eat veggies like carrot. only after adaptation or not even then?

Thanks
lavramu is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2014, 12:50 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
There is a vegetarian low-carb thread on this board – and the top sticky on that thread is recipes. Bear in mind that many of those recipes aren't super-low carb, which is what you need to get into ketosis and stay there.

It can be a challenge to get to ketosis as a vegetarian, since so many veggie protein sources have carbs accompanying them (i.e. tofu, veggie burgers, etc). The key is to make fat the centerpiece of your food plan, and figure out your protein second, with whatever carbs you have left over devoted to low-carb greens. Nuts and cheese would be good choices to add both fat and a bit of protein to your diet.

Personally, I wouldn't eat carrots, ever - they're too high in sugar and I suspect they'd be likely to cause a blood sugar surge. However, as long as you keep your total (not net) carbs under 50/day, you should be able to remain in ketosis.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Do you use protein powder?
I sometimes use the whey based powder. It can be spiffed up in lots of ways.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote