Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
saying (a temporary) goodbye to dairy...

I have been struggling with my health and inflammation for a while now and am FED UP.

The last illness was a bout of gastritis, which I'm not completely over.

The only thing I can think of which is holding me and my health and weightloss back is dairy. Oh, how I love cheese, cream and butter...

But they are out the door! I am experimenting with six weeks dairy free to see how I feel. I'm working on gut health as well, and being more consistent with taking probiotics, eating some traditionally fermented foods and taking supplements such as L-Glutamine.

In six weeks time I will try and slowly add back dairy to see if I can tolerate it better then.

Wish me luck! (I am dreading this, everything is better with cheese, LOL)

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2014, 06:02 AM   #2
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/211/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Good luck.

It is hard. I figured out my asthma was being caused by dairy. I have been gluten free for years (even before low carb) and that is really fairly easy. Dairy free is hard.

I went to a meeting the other day with a catered lunch. There was a big beautiful salad. The croutons were on the side so they were easily avoided, but the yummy blue cheese crumbles were mixed throughout.

With straight low carb I could go to Starbucks or other coffee shop for a latte when everyone else was getting ice cream after dinner. Now I ask for plain coffee, decaf, and it hardly seems worth the effort.

I am probably not being helpful at all. It is worth it, so as much as I complain I am still making the effort. It is lovely to breathe.

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

I am hoping that by healing my gut, I'll be able do eat dairy products again in moderation.

I never had issues with dairy, and I'm grabbing at straws here regarding my health issues, but it's worth a try anyway!

All my tests have come back great and I'm in the best of health according to the numbers... I just wonder why I seem to be catching whatever is around on top of me feeling just so so.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenandchic
WOE: Paleo, heading towards, Ketosis
Start Date: 2006
I love heavy cream in my coffee but I know I am intolerant so I too have to give it up.
greenandchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:53 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

I was two days dairy free, and then had meatballs in tomato sauce yesterday: the (homemade) sauce had cream and the (homemade) meatballs were made with parmesan. I only had 4 oz of the meat and a couple of spoonfulls of the sauce, so I definitely didn't overeat. Result: 1lb gain on the scales this morning!

Coincidence? Maybe, but I think it is worth continuing for six weeks without any dairy to see if that was what is causing my issues!
Old 02-28-2014, 01:58 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Ailuros
WOE: Controlled carb, real food
I’ve never done it, but it would be much harder for me than avoiding grains. Maybe after your six weeks you’ll at least find that butter or clarified butter are ok. Or maybe after a time of healing you’ll be able to tolerate some dairy, just not every day.

Good luck.
Ailuros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 02:06 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Yes, I'm hoping that I'll get to the point where I can have the occasional bit of raw milk cheese and a dash of cream in sauces, but not every day.

I am following some suggestions regarding gut health and I think it may help me overall and I think I'll be (hopefully) able to consume dairy once my gut is healed.

And I'm with you on the grains, it was a doddle giving up grains compared to dairy. I think that's why I avoided doing so for a long time too! LOL
Old 02-28-2014, 03:14 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If the problem is with the proteins (and proteins seem to be the trouble makers most often), then butter (especially clarified) will be less troublesome than cream, and cheese might be the least tolerable.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:48 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I feel for you Mimosa. My DD has been gluten free most of her life, but when she found out that she was seriously lactose intolerant it was like a death in the family. When I think about possibly giving up cheese it makes me cringe inside. I know I'm probably not helping. I hope you can get your gut healed so you can enjoy dairy again. I would like to do it too to see if it would help my health issues, but I just can't wrap my brain around it.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
I feel for you Mimosa. My DD has been gluten free most of her life, but when she found out that she was seriously lactose intolerant it was like a death in the family. When I think about possibly giving up cheese it makes me cringe inside. I know I'm probably not helping. I hope you can get your gut healed so you can enjoy dairy again. I would like to do it too to see if it would help my health issues, but I just can't wrap my brain around it.
This would be me, I would seriously mourn. Good luck Mim, I will be following this thread
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 10:15 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
It's not that hard to give up dairy if you think about how you feel after eating it. I have ghee or butter now and then; but bad reactions. I guess I just accept what works for me and you will do it. Focus on what you CAN eat
Peace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

That's the thing, I feel fine when eating it. I'm just suspecting it's holding back my weightloss results and it's affecting my immunity in some way. That's why it's so hard to give up, because I don't have immediate effects when I eat dairy. Being Dutch and thus brought up on all sorts of dairy products, it is coded in my genes I think, LOL!

I do think it's working though, because I had a 2 lb drop in weight over the weekend, and even though I did watch somewhat what I ate, I was pretty generous in my portions. So the no dairy is definitely showing results. Let's see what this week brings!
Old 03-08-2014, 02:41 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Hey Mim. How is your experiment going?
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:34 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Yeah Mimosa... How are you?

I ran out of cheese. Seriously lol. Not a gram/oz of cheese in my house for 6 days (laid off going to the store, didn't make it my priority) so... I did an impromptu self experiment without CHEESE. which I might add is as important in my woe as coffee. (Think crazed woman, mad, hectic and totally irrational without coffee) I actually bought a little 1 oz pkg at the gas station of cheddar on the way to the grocery today THAT KINDA CRAZY. but, it proved to me that I have yet another addiction to cheese. I didn't supplement it with creams, butter etc. I just did without, the mental part of ot was hard!

How are you?

Just to note, I bought cheddar, American, Gouda, cream, bleu, Colby/pepper jack, Brie and Swiss today at the store!
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think Mimosa is still off on holiday.