Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: meryl36
what to do with bone broth

hi
I'm new to this whole keto thing but I recently started making bone broth. I use chicken feet with a few carrots & onions and as long as I don't use too much water it always gels nicely. At first I was just drinking a mug of each morning but I'm not really thrilled with the taste (mine doesn't taste like chicken broth) so I was wondering how everyone else uses it. I don't really make many soups so that idea is out. any other suggestions as to what to do with this lovely stuff?
thanks
Meryl
meryl36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Chicken broth is great as a base for soups, to add to sauces and other recipes and drink with a pat of butter. The basic 'recipe' is throwing he following ingredients into a large stock pot. Bring to a boil and then simmer, covered for at least 12 hours - 24 hrs. Is better.

2-3 chicken carsusses
1- 2 onions
4-5 garlic cloves
1-2 tbsp. black pepper corns (whole)
1-2 carrots
3-4 celery stalks (including leaves)
1 tbsp vinegar
2-3 bay leaves

In the last hour of cooking, toss in a bunch of kombu or other seaweed. Strain and cool in the fridge. I remove most of the fat. Salt can be added as needed after the cooking process. I don't salt it until I am using it.

No need to peel onions, garlic or carrots either.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!

Last edited by clackley; 02-26-2014 at 04:29 PM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I make mine without any veggies for less carbs. I use a lot of salt. HWC and butter mixed in with a cup is delicious!
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:17 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Use it as a base for sauces or for slow cooking meats...

I suggest the next lot of bone broth you make that you also add other parts of the chicken, such as the carcass from roasted chicken, maybe some giblets... It really helps with the flavour and creates a rich, tasty broth that is really nice to drink.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I use lots of leftover cooked bones, enough to fill up the stock pot, and I simmer it for about 30 hours with a splash of vinegar, some sea salt and a small amount (like a handful) of veggie odds and ends. It has a LOT of chicken flavor, and it gels when cooled down.

I do like drinking it, especially with lots of ginger or cayenne pepper, but I also it as a base for soups and sauces.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aeatinger
I was so happy this morning! I made chicken broth yesterday and I went to use it and it was gelled! Whoo hooo! (Supposedly that's what the grassfed girl said was the indicator that you cooked it enough).
aeatinger is offline   Reply With Quote