Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Need help tweaking my macros (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/824402-need-help-tweaking-my-macros.html)

lowcarbella 02-25-2014 12:06 PM

Need help tweaking my macros

I have been struggling since this year started.

I had some good weight loss last year when I finally found my sweet spot,but now it seems they don't work.

And I am going thru a lot of stressors as well- first, a big accident,then became victim of identity theft,close relative with health diagnosis,sibling going thru big financial issues not his fault,one kid with health issues-its only February and this year is looking very dim for me:dunno:

I am not able to stick to anything and keep falling off wagon.

I thought I will revisit my macros since its been long.Also I had misplaced my meters and strips and can't seem to find them.I had both Nova Max and Precision.Does anyone know if I can get them again?

If I have to buy a meter,which I think is not a bad idea,since my dh will also need to start monitoring BS,is it worth it? I think Precision is the brand I would prefer?Any thoughts on this?Or should I hold off?

here is what the ankerl calc tells me with my new numbers:

20 g carb(my choice)
75 g protein
130g fat
1550 cal

I had a higher protein I calculated last time,so I wasn't sticking with those numbers since I wasn't losing.Now that the calc has lowered my protein,I am a little confused with the new numbers.

Isn't 1550 cal a bit higher.I am more used to around 1200.

My fat has always fallen short -around 100g -just because I can't eat that much,esp meat fat giving me upset tummy.For carbs I feel better sticking to Induction food lists,with exception of nuts,which is a bad idea anyway,since they cause me cravings.

Finally I lose better at 40-50 g protein,but I am going to try the 70 range to see if it will result in better sticking with the program.

I am not really hungry when I follow the plan ditto,but my trouble has more to do with stressors causing me to overeat,even overeating LC or protein.

So I am trying to recalculate my macros and see if eating a higher fat and protein can help me with not falling off(at the cost of a slower weight loss).Any insights/tips apprceiated.

lowcarbella 02-25-2014 12:11 PM

Just adding to clear any confusion,I fell off wagon at least 8-10 times since january,I am so ashamed of it.

snowangel9 02-26-2014 10:39 AM

lowcarbella, first off cut yourself some slack. Sounds like you are getting dumbed on right now. :hugs: Second, just keep things low carb. Even if you are stress eating as least it won't be crap. And, try to only worry about what you can change. You can't change the diagnosis for your relative, or your brothers problems.

As for your numbers, and I am by far, no expert, they don't look right. I used Marykates post to figure out mine. According to that, your protein should be about 102 grams if you want to weigh 150. That's multiplying by 1.5. And that's assuming I'm doing it right.
Maybe, you are just getting all the bad news out of the way, so the rest of the year will be better?!

clackley 02-26-2014 04:35 PM

Double post.

clackley 02-26-2014 04:37 PM

So sorry to hear you are having so many struggles.:console:

It sounds like your #1 issue would be to get in ketosis and then to stay there. I think keeping your carbs low and the rest, according to hunger. Cravings fed with fat. Keep it simple for the first couple weeks.

Hope things improve for you on all levels.

lowcarbella 02-27-2014 11:20 AM

Cathy and snowangel,thanks for your kind words.
I am a big stress eater and all this bad news is not helping me.Today I made extra fat bombs with the idea that if I crave and want to dig in,maybe those should help.It is difficult not to have temptations since I have small kids who eat regular foods-crackers,cookies etc which I put a limit,but they still can have them.So all those off limit foods around the house doesn't help.I have stopped buying dark chocolate bcoz I can't be around them anymore.

I am trying to stay a casual LC at the very least,but i also happen to be the type of person,who unless track and measure and stay on top of it,can easily gain,even on LC.
**sigh**I just want this to pass.

lowcarbella 02-27-2014 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowangel9 (Post 16816205)

As for your numbers, and I am by far, no expert, they don't look right. I used Marykates post to figure out mine. According to that, your protein should be about 102 grams if you want to weigh 150. That's multiplying by 1.5. And that's assuming I'm doing it right.
Maybe, you are just getting all the bad news out of the way, so the rest of the year will be better?!

My previous calculation had my protein at about 90 grams,thats when I weighed above 200.

Either way,I don't lose a thing when my protein goes above 60-70 for sure,from experience.Maybe they need to come up with a formula for people like me who are more resistant than others.

That said ,I would like to find out my CPLM(Critical Protein Level for Maintaining),not from anyone else's formula,but from my own trial and error,so that in times like these,I can fall back to that level.But that involves 'trial and error',which I am in no mood to try now.
I do know that I feel best when I keep my carbs at Induction levels.
As for fat,since it messes up with my tummy,I have never dared to go higher.Perhaps upping fat more maybe key for me,it may even 'cure' my binges,but even with the help of dig enzymes,I couldn't get higher than 100.

Today I did feel better so far,had two HWC smoothies,its the evenings I get stressed out.Sorry for the long vent and thanks for listening.

wish 02-28-2014 12:28 PM

that sounds really terrible, I agree with snowangel, take it easy and I hope you get all the bad stuff out of the way and have a good rest of the year.

I am just beginning to calculate my macro's, so far I was just counting carbs and calories and roughly my proteins but now I understand I need to count the macro's and tweak it until it works. Sorry I don't have any advice for you. I am going to start with 30g carbs/90g protein/91g fat.

barrybush 03-10-2014 04:46 AM

It sounds like you have had a number of negative experiences happen all around you. Things that were beyond your control. Not worrying about that stuff is easier said than done. I have read that our liver controls our moods and that we should eat in a way that helps it function. I have also found for me that a self talk cd helps to keep my mind focused on the positive things I want in my life. I looked up and wrote down every positive saying I could find. Good feelings that I wanted in my, positive habits that would make me feel better about myself. I recorded them in my voice with energetic background music onto the small iPod shuffle (about the size of a half dollar) then listen to it 3 times a day. We are what we eat but we are what we focus on. I don't know about others but my mind grows weeds unless I daily plant good stuff. Learn to be kind to yourself. You deserve to feel good about who you are. You are important, you are needed.