Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: shebasmudder
Stats: 230/207/160
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 1/15/14
New to keto

I just started a few days ago and things don't seem to be going well.

I'm diabetic type 2, so I set my goals to:

113g FAT 71.5%
38g CARB 10%
84g PROTEIN 22.5%

For the past 3 days, I have been sticking to plan and tracking my intake. I never go over except one day I went over my fat a little bit. I usually don't make it to 34g carbs per day.

My fasting blood sugars are okay. They were in the 120s initially but then jumped up to the low 150s the past 2 days.

The bad part is I gained 3 pounds ! Is there an adjustment period or something ? I'm feeling discouraged. I lost weight when I ate more carbs.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Did you read the really well written post about NK? Someone just brought it back up and is under Merrykates name. Depending on your age, height, and activity level, you could be off somewhere. I used to could eat more calories but I've had to drop down because I've lost weight. Also, are those net carbs or total carbs. It does make a difference.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I did read the just the facts thread. But I used a keto calculator and not the 85/15/5 suggestion. I am beginning to wonder if the device is interfering with my losses based on my change in diet. I can stick it out for at least a week, but if I keep gaining weight, I will have to do something different.
shebasmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
You may consider lowering carbs. Are you using a blood ketone meter? There is most definitely an adjustment period. You need to work out what macronutrients amounts work for you. Guidelines are a good place to start but it is very individual so it takes some time for many of us.

Gaining 3 lbs. over a few days is not fat but rather fluid. It is good to remember that fluids can be as much as 4lbs either way. Time tells the real story.

Last edited by clackley; 02-24-2014 at 05:54 PM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:33 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

I've been counting total carbs, btw. I'm not measuring my ketones at all. I don't get over 30g carbs per day and I was losing weight eating 70g carbs per day easily and my fbg was 30 points lower. I was reading how most people eat 1/2 the protein I do, maybe that's where I should start.

Even though I don't feel starved, all these cuts give me the sensation that it's a drastic change, especially with adverse results.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

It is way too soon to say whether you are losing or gaining. Generally, total carbs is the way to go.

The question that seems obvious is if you were losing well on 70g of carbs per day and your b.g. levels were great, why have you decided to change? Why try and fix it if it is not broke?

Last edited by clackley; 02-24-2014 at 06:53 PM..
Old 02-24-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
It is way too soon to say whether you are losing or gaining. Generally, total carbs is the way to go.

The question that seems obvious is if you were losing well on 70g of carbs per day and your b.g. Levels were great, why the change?
I wanted to do better ! I thought I was doing low carb by simply cutting out breads, pasta, potatoes, rice, etc. But when I actually counted my carbs and calories and saw I ate 2100 calories and 77g carbs - I didn't feel I was doing the best I could. I see a lot of other diabetics on my diabetic forum who limit their carbs to under 50g or even less and have excellent bs numbers. I've only been lc-ing religiously for a little over a month but I lost 15 pounds and cut one of my diabetes meds in half. I'm motivated to fine tune and do better. I'm trying things that make sense to me scientifically.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Okay. It just seems that you were already doing great in terms of weight loss and b.g. control. I think n.k. Is a fabulous plan but it might be more restrictive than it needs to be for everyone.

Last edited by clackley; 02-24-2014 at 07:14 PM..
Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Okay. It just seems that you were already doing great in terms of weight loss and b.g. control. I think n.k. Is a fabulous plan but it might be more restrictive than it needs to be for everyone.
Thank you ! When I compare myself to other diabetics, I feel like I could do more. Maybe I am being too ambitious and obsessive ?!