Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
What do you think?

What do you think of the idea of centering a HFLC diet around fat bombs? I have found a recipe I just love and if I add a few protein shakes I can hit my target percentages. I love the idea. Quick and simple!

Your thoughts?
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I say whatever works for you. I personally couldn't do it because I love to eat too much. That's why I'm here
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:59 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
What do you think of the idea of centering a HFLC diet around fat bombs? I have found a recipe I just love and if I add a few protein shakes I can hit my target percentages. I love the idea. Quick and simple!

Your thoughts?

I think that you should eat in a way that works for life. Otherwise you will gain all the weight back when you go off of your plan.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:07 PM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Cfine, I like to eat too, but I like the idea of simplifying things, at least for a while. I guess I want to see if this would work better, with the problem I have with my thyroid.

lovetoknit, I would just go back to low carb. I know a couple of people here who use other 'ways' to lose (think hcg) and use low carb to maintain. I am doing low carb now, but I am also trying to get the tsh levels normal and I guess that can take some time?

Patience, is not my strong suit!! Thanks for the opinions!

..stop thinking of it as "starting over". It's life, we don't get do-overs. You can only move forward from this point. ~~ pepperanne
Old 02-25-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: grneyedldy
What could it hurt to try it for a few days and see how you feel? I'm not into the fat bombs, but you have piqued my interest.....what is your great fat bomb recipe?
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

It's an adaptation of Abi Fae's. If you like peanut butter cups, well...I have to put them back in the fridge. They are addicting. So here it is.

8oz coconut oil
8oz peanut butter
8oz butter, softened
2.5-3oz chocolate - (Lily's makes some sweetened with stevia only 3 carbs for half a bar)
Sweetener to taste - (I use 1 1/2 tsp stevia glycerite)
Pinch of salt

Put everything together in a medium bowl and microwave until butter and coconut oil are melted. Remove from microwave and stir until every thing is melted and well combined. I use a little ladle I have and mini silicone pans. Ladle into pans and let chill until firm. It's makes about 35-36.

They get soft really quick so they need to be kept in the fridge obviously. I like the silicone because they'll pop right out. But you could use paper liners as well, or put the whole bowl in the fridge until firm and use a small scoop to make them.

I think your right though, can't hurt to try it and see!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thank you Snowangel. It looks yummy. I'm trying to stay away from fat bombs....I want to pop em like pez. I tried them once and I had portion control issues. But I just had to know.....
Old 02-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think if you enjoy eating this way and the macronutrients meet your needs and goals, what not?

For me, I would have a couple of issues. I like to cook and have variety in my meals. And I don't eat legumes - which of course, peanuts are.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

I love your analogy!! Yep, it can be like that!! ..popping them like pez! See, I try and eat them slooowly, and by the time I've had two or three, I need to get the dish back in the fridge!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I think if you enjoy eating this way and the macronutrients meet your needs and goals, what not?
It will, I spent quite a bit of time figuring it all out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
For me, I would have a couple of issues. I like to cook and have variety in my meals. And I don't eat legumes - which of course, peanuts are.
I like to cook, but not cooking is good too! I know paleo and primal say not to eat legumes, but.... well, it's peanut butter!! I do keep it all organic though. That counts, right? lol
Old 03-02-2014, 12:37 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I really love fat bombs, and have found that using almond butter instead of peanut butter removes the trigger effect for me. I do the nut butter in one layer and the chocolate in another, and they come out tasting a lot like peanut butter cups.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I really love fat bombs, and have found that using almond butter instead of peanut butter removes the trigger effect for me. I do the nut butter in one layer and the chocolate in another, and they come out tasting a lot like peanut butter cups.
Oohh, that sounds good! May have to give that a try! I figured out one for almond butter too. So that could work too.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:04 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Margee
How many of these delicious fat bombs are we to eat? I had read to get 2 tablespoons in per day? *hug*
Margee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 AM   #14
Blabbermouth!!!

oh, Margee. This is my own concoction. So, it is many more than that. I've re-figured everything because the first day was okay, but the daughter felt ill that night after her protein shake and I woke up with, well, let's say that much fat got things moving really quickly. However, the second day was fine for us both.

But to answer your question, I am eating 13, of these yummy things plus a couple of protein shakes. I will lower that we get back from our trip and use a little more 'food'. But, on the other hand, I am down 5lbs this morning and that's with a thyroid that wasn't working.

P.S. I am not advocating this for anyone else. This is just an idea I had and wanted to try.

Last edited by snowangel9; 03-04-2014 at 10:22 AM..
Old 03-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Margee, you got me curious so I went and looked. When I double the batch I use a whole jar do coconut oil, 14oz. I made 71 of these so that's about 1 tsp each. (Actually just a little over) So 13 of them is about 5 Tbsp of coconut oil. Wow.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Margee
Thank you snowangel for that information. I made 75 today and each one is approx. 1 tablespoon. So I could eat like 6 and cut way back on the protein?
Margee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:48 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Oh no. Mine don't have near the protein I need. I add a couple of protein shakes. Be careful though, too much at once can cause diarrhea. I found that out the hard way. But it only lasted a day, soo. I started having the protein shake with them. I think that's a better comb, proteins and fats. Let me know how it goes!
Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
I love to eat too-I would miss the variety. But I'm also not a sweets fan, so I'm good with putting lots of butter and avocado on stuff, and putting coconut oil in my coffee.

Good luck!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks earthcrosser! We (my dd#3 and I) are doing good. She loves to eat too! But seeing the scale move is very motivating!! Since starting Sunday, we have both lost 6lbs. That is awesome for me, since my Dr. said I couldn't lose if I wanted too! (Thyroid)

That, and the supplements she gave me all seem to be working...
Old 03-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: greenandchic
WOE: Paleo, heading towards, Ketosis
Start Date: 2006
I would like to try that with almond butter only (or a different nut butter) and melt it on a double boiler since we don't own a microwave.
greenandchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #21
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi greenandchic! You sure can do that. I have another daughter who is using the macro info to try it too. She's more paleo so she used almond butter. They are still really good.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

How's it going Snowangel? Are you and your daughter still doing fat bombs and protein shakes? Is it working for you?

Would love to hear an update.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Hi grneyedldy! Thanks for thinking of us!! Yes, we are. Started back this morning. We did well our first week, Sunday-Thursday. We both lost 6lbs. Then, we went to Vegas for a week. Had me worried.

But we did good. Just decided to eat really clean low carb. I think we each went up a pound, and for me I think that's just traveling. So, yep, we are back at it. Just made another batch this afternoon. I am excited to see what happens this week.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:36 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Good for both of you. So are going to do the fat bombs and shakes off and on? Sounds like it's working.....6 lbs each. Congrats.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:18 AM   #25
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks! Yes, something like that. We decided to do it for a week, see how we feel. If we both feel good and are doing good, we may go another week. But I have menu plans we can incorporate if we get tired of it.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Keep us posted on how it goes. It's nice that you are doing this with you daughter.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: earthcrosser
WOE: LCRF, NK
Start Date: March 2014
Yes keep us upated!
earthcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:27 PM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: EricaHV
Stats: 240/205/120-145
WOE: Ketogenic
Start Date: 2/21/14
It is awesome that this is working for you! I want to try to make fat bombs again.

I have tried making a few fat bombs and... they seem to turn out yucky. I need to head over to the recipe forum and try the ones there instead of trying to wing it again!

I got married in Vegas, I am a little jealous of your trip
EricaHV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #29
Blabbermouth!!!

Will do! You know Erica, I've been thinking of doing a meet up in Vegas. We've done it before with people from this site. I mean who doesn't like Vegas right?!
Old 03-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Hey everyone, So, yes, this worked! My daughter and I both lost just over 6lbs, but an inch around my stomach. Almost more exciting than the weight!

We decided to go back to Maria's plan for at least a couple of weeks. I'm getting ready for another trip, so cooking will give the daughter leftovers. But, yes, we/I did get a little bored the second week and was ready to eat!

I think we will incorporate at least one day a week of just the shakes and fat bombs and see how that works too. Hope everyone else is doing great!!