Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Protein needs and number of meals (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/824203-protein-needs-number-meals.html)

ElCorredor 02-21-2014 11:20 AM

Protein needs and number of meals

I have a question about how individuals with experience in nutritional ketosis time their protein consumption. As to the amount of protein, I try to take in 1 to 1.5 gm per kg bodyweight. For me (~80 kg) that would be between 80 and 120 gm protein per day.

I typically have been eating 3 meals per day with the protein divided equally. However, I see that some individuals go with only 2 meals per day. I assume then, that instead of (say) 35 gm protein 3 times a day, I should shift to about 50 grams twice a day? That feels like a big meal to me.

Any insights and advice would be appreciated.

Ntombi 02-21-2014 12:02 PM

It's not about "should," it's about what feels natural for me. If three meals feels good to you, stick with that. If you're someone who prefers two meals, that's fine too. Others like smaller more frequent meals. It all works.

My daily protein goal is about 120g. I am one who sometimes naturally eats two meals per day (while there are also days I have three meals and a snack). Yes, that means I split my protein between those two meals on those days.

I seem to have a fairly high protein tolerance level, and eating two meals with relatively large protein servings doesn't affect my level of ketosis, according to blood ketone testing. I think for someone whose body is more sensitive to protein, it may be an issue. I think it's one of those things you have to let your body decide.

MerryKate 02-23-2014 12:15 AM

I'll second Ntombi's comment, and suggest you try testing your blood ketones, if you have a monitor. This WOE is dependent on your body's reaction to carbs and protein, so you may have a different response to a large amount of protein than someone else does.

janie275 02-23-2014 12:14 PM

I tried eating my protein grams based on my weight but it ended up being to much for me. I agree with Ntombi that your best bet is to use a blood ketone monitor. I had to lower my protein grams to under 60 and have been able to increase my carbs to 20 grams. When I was at a higher level of protein I was in ketosis but I was under the .5 threshold which allows the weight loss. I spent 4 months last year getting more and more frustrated that low carb wasn't working. I now use the ketone meter just twice a week and make sure my fat is 130 protein 60 and carb 20. Most days I eat a little under all these but try not to go over for sure. This morning I used a ketosis strip and and it showed just moderate which is a dark pink, not purple. I might have been discouraged but because I also checked my blood ketones and they were 2.1 I know that I am burning fat.

ElCorredor 02-23-2014 12:28 PM

Thanks everyone. I guess it's time to run some experiments.