Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2014, 07:24 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Canola oil - Good or Bad?

I'm very confused about whether to use or not use it. I threw away the canola oil in my pantry when I started a LC WOE. I hardly ever used it and didn't like the way it smelled. Maybe it was rancid?

I've just finished reading The Art and Science of Low Carb Living by Drs. Volek and Phinney and they recommend using canola oil. Yet when I search for info, there is some scary stuff out there about using canola oil.

For me personally, I don't plan to use it, but want to know if I should make sure its not in anything I consume.
grneyedldy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
Personally, I don't use it. In Germany canola oil is also promoted on a LCHF site that I visit.
I avoid it but I don't get paranoid about it. As I tend to cook everything myself (apart from restaurant visits) I don't worry about it.

I use mainly butter, coconut oils and olive oil. Occasionally I use macadamia oil and avocado oil. I have some other nut oils that I like, but I don't really use much of. I only use butter and coconut oil in cooking. (with the occasional lard or goose/duck fat)
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have read this as well and am a little puzzled too. It may be that they think it is a fairly stable oil compared to other vegetable oils??? I just think there are better choices.

I use avocado oil (smoke point is 500F), coconut oil, bacon fat - butter and olive oil for low heat. I have no need to use seed oils.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Mimosa and Clackley (I love reading both your posts). I read an article on Snopes that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up They connected it to mad cow disease and scrapie

I'm just surprised with all the healthy oil choices, the good doctors would recommend canola oil?
Old 02-18-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

The other thing about canola that I find disturbing is the fact that it is a GMO.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:34 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/205/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I don't think it is the worst oil, but it isn't the best by far. I generally try to avoid it, but don't freak out if I consume some at a restaurant or through packaged food. If yours smelled bad, it probably was rancid. The recommendation for canola oil is probably the statement I disagreed with the most in Phinney and Volek's book. There are so many healthier fats that one can eat.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I agree Mistizoom, at first I thought I misread, but they confirm it in the summary in the last chapter.

I was also surprised there was not one mention of coconut oil. Oh well, still a very good book about this wonderful woe.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #8

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I think there is a difference between the cold pressed canola oil like Trader Joe's uses in their mayo and the commercial stuff that uses solvents as part of the extraction process. it is not great, but I find TJ's canola based mayo the best alternative for me at this time.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Personally, I don't use it. In Germany canola oil is also promoted on a LCHF site that I visit.
I avoid it but I don't get paranoid about it. As I tend to cook everything myself (apart from restaurant visits) I don't worry about it.

I use mainly butter, coconut oils and olive oil. Occasionally I use macadamia oil and avocado oil. I have some other nut oils that I like, but I don't really use much of. I only use butter and coconut oil in cooking. (with the occasional lard or goose/duck fat)
It is a polyunsaturated fat which causes inflamation to the body. It is best to eat saturated and monounsaturated fats.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:57 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoknit View Post
It is a polyunsaturated fat which causes inflamation to the body. It is best to eat saturated and monounsaturated fats.
Carolyn
That is what I understand it to be as well and that brings us back to the question of why Phinney and Volek are recommending it? Someone needs to write them a letter.