Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Canola oil - Good or Bad? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/822937-canola-oil-good-bad.html)

grneyedldy 02-18-2014 07:24 AM

Canola oil - Good or Bad?

I'm very confused about whether to use or not use it. I threw away the canola oil in my pantry when I started a LC WOE. I hardly ever used it and didn't like the way it smelled. Maybe it was rancid?

I've just finished reading The Art and Science of Low Carb Living by Drs. Volek and Phinney and they recommend using canola oil. Yet when I search for info, there is some scary stuff out there about using canola oil.

For me personally, I don't plan to use it, but want to know if I should make sure its not in anything I consume.

Mimosa23 02-18-2014 07:29 AM

Personally, I don't use it. In Germany canola oil is also promoted on a LCHF site that I visit.
I avoid it but I don't get paranoid about it. As I tend to cook everything myself (apart from restaurant visits) I don't worry about it.

I use mainly butter, coconut oils and olive oil. Occasionally I use macadamia oil and avocado oil. I have some other nut oils that I like, but I don't really use much of. I only use butter and coconut oil in cooking. (with the occasional lard or goose/duck fat)

clackley 02-18-2014 07:45 AM

I have read this as well and am a little puzzled too. It may be that they think it is a fairly stable oil compared to other vegetable oils??? I just think there are better choices.

I use avocado oil (smoke point is 500F), coconut oil, bacon fat - butter and olive oil for low heat. I have no need to use seed oils.

grneyedldy 02-18-2014 09:34 AM

Thanks Mimosa and Clackley (I love reading both your posts). I read an article on Snopes that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up :eek: They connected it to mad cow disease and scrapie :eek:

I'm just surprised with all the healthy oil choices, the good doctors would recommend canola oil? :confused:

clackley 02-18-2014 09:45 AM

The other thing about canola that I find disturbing is the fact that it is a GMO.

Mistizoom 02-18-2014 10:34 AM

I don't think it is the worst oil, but it isn't the best by far. I generally try to avoid it, but don't freak out if I consume some at a restaurant or through packaged food. If yours smelled bad, it probably was rancid. The recommendation for canola oil is probably the statement I disagreed with the most in Phinney and Volek's book. There are so many healthier fats that one can eat.

grneyedldy 02-18-2014 11:06 AM

I agree Mistizoom, at first I thought I misread, but they confirm it in the summary in the last chapter.

I was also surprised there was not one mention of coconut oil. Oh well, still a very good book about this wonderful woe.

ravenrose 02-18-2014 12:06 PM

I think there is a difference between the cold pressed canola oil like Trader Joe's uses in their mayo and the commercial stuff that uses solvents as part of the extraction process. it is not great, but I find TJ's canola based mayo the best alternative for me at this time.

lovetoknit 02-18-2014 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16804473)
Personally, I don't use it. In Germany canola oil is also promoted on a LCHF site that I visit.
I avoid it but I don't get paranoid about it. As I tend to cook everything myself (apart from restaurant visits) I don't worry about it.

I use mainly butter, coconut oils and olive oil. Occasionally I use macadamia oil and avocado oil. I have some other nut oils that I like, but I don't really use much of. I only use butter and coconut oil in cooking. (with the occasional lard or goose/duck fat)

It is a polyunsaturated fat which causes inflamation to the body. It is best to eat saturated and monounsaturated fats.
Carolyn

clackley 02-19-2014 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoknit (Post 16805942)
It is a polyunsaturated fat which causes inflamation to the body. It is best to eat saturated and monounsaturated fats.
Carolyn

That is what I understand it to be as well and that brings us back to the question of why Phinney and Volek are recommending it? Someone needs to write them a letter.