Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Do you eat if not hungry?

Sorry for the questions!!

TOday I had 2 hour workout and salad with fish and some chick at 3.. olive oil, but here is the deal.. I wont get hungry until 9 or 10 and I hate eating late at night, but if I dont eat, then I know I am under calories.

So, I am curious if it is better to eat a little something for my workout in the am tomorrow or not force it?

I love the WOE but need to figure out a good plan and time management with my lifestyle.

I wonder why I dont get hungry??? Friends keep telling me I need to eat more and I want agree but hinestly, I dont think that is the issue. I am still overweight?
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Learning to eat only when hungry and then predicting accurately when that might be is a challenge in the initial stages of a ketogenic diet in my experience. I was pretty surprised at just how not hungry I could be for such long periods of time.

I have learned that I need about 2 meals per day and can go quite nicely with just one but prefer the 2 for a number of reasons. I eventually found a rhythm to this and I think you will too.

In the meantime, don't stress out about not being hungry. That is a natural effect of ketosis. You are using fat as your main fuel and that can come from both dietary and stored fat.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Last10
Stats: 249/142/142
WOE: Primal, Intermittant M&E
Start Date: Mostly LC since 1999 when I joined LCF
Cathy, you always give great advice. Thank you!
Last10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
What Cathy said is right on track! I do not eat if I'm not hungry, and I'm surprised at how often I'm not hungry. I usually shoot for 1200 calories per day and some days I struggle to get to 800 -900 calories, then some days I'll be more like 1300 - 1400.....I'm learning to listen to my body about these things. I find that when my fat percentages are higher I'm satiated with far fewer calories. Everyone is different, but it sounds like your body is telling you what it wants...don't be afraid to listen to it!!

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
199 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
ladyboss7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:28 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Well, lately I have been eating when not hungry, which means I end up eating more than I should, and I don't lose. When I pay attention to my hunger signals I lose pretty easily eating high fat, moderate protein, low carb.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
There is no one best way. We all find what works best for us.

I eat three well-spaced meals per day. After years of trying all sorts of things, this is what works best for me. It keeps me from getting overly hungry & allows plenty of time between meals.

If I go without eating all day because I don't feel hungry I end up starving eventually & I overeat.

The body adjusts to when it expects to be fed. I have followed meal plans that had me eating 5 and 6 meals per day. At first I was never hungry but my body adjusted & I felt hungry at each meal time.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for the posts. I really appreciate it. I seem to be doing better and need to just let go this idea that I have to eat a certain amount of food.I just can't force it

I think it might take more time, since I am just starting to increase my fat intake more.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:34 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Hi everyone

Thanks so much for the posts. I really appreciate it. I seem to be doing better and need to just let go this idea that I have to eat a certain amount of food.I just can't force it

I think it might take more time, since I am just starting to increase my fat intake more.
In my case, the amount of food was and continues to be greatly reduced. I switched to a lunch plate so my food wouldn't look so lonely.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LowCarbedD
Stats: 169.2/139/149
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart 8/13
marking my place!
LowCarbedD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I love that not hungry feeling!
Nonetheless I try not to go too long without food, especially on my days out of the house.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I think getting used to not feeling hungry is a struggle for me. I was so programmed into thinking I had to eat even if I was not hungry that I have to learn how to occupy myself with other things versus when to eat, what to eat or how much to eat.

Life long process
Old 02-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/185/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
yes it was hard at first,I missed eating food.but I wasn't hungry.And it comes handy when I am too busy or out and about for long periods.
What surprises me though is that after several days of hunger suppression,all off a sudden I would be very hungry and not prepared.(while still on plan)
And being not prepared is bad news for my dieting.So I would portion out legal foods and keep them handy just in case.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:38 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! I needed to work on this. Still a bit of a struggle. Today, I am trying to let go of the protein issue and just focus on low carb. ( like minimal).

I had veggies and small salmon 2oz this am, but then at 230- lunch with salmon and chicken. I tried to not overeat but I guess I was hungry? Maybe the issue is that I was not eating enough before. I also just went with it and had some mac/walnuts.

No worries on protein amounts right now, correct? Focus on low carb.. my belly was down this am, but not sure if it was the grass fed beef from yesterday which was luscious by the way.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:37 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: luigi_uk
WOE: nutritional ketosis-Maintenance
Start Date: Aug 2012
my usual meal times

bpc first thing

approx 2pm a meal

approx 7pm a meal

sometimes have to force myself to eat daytime as just not hungry and energy levels are good but i will lose too much weight if i dont eat , im not doing this to lose weight, rather fat off my liver
luigi_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi_uk View Post
bpc first thing

approx 2pm a meal

approx 7pm a meal

sometimes have to force myself to eat daytime as just not hungry and energy levels are good but i will lose too much weight if i dont eat , im not doing this to lose weight, rather fat off my liver
I'm more worried that the opposite will happen if you don't eat enough. If you aren't getting enough food for your body, your body will cycle down and weight loss will not only stop, you sill start losing muscle. I'm going to assume that eating low amounts of food would include lack of adequate protein.

I am so new to this and might be full of crap. I'm getting a brain cramp trying to understand how to find that sweet spot. I don't possess one single science gene....so I'm really in foreign waters.

I too have been struggling to eat enough and eat the right amount of enough. Its wonderful to have appetite suppression, but I don't recall seeing the issue of eating when you are not hungry to sustain your health addressed by the doctors and experts.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I am learning that I def won't starve to death. Geez why did I think I needed so many calories? Lol
Old 02-25-2014, 11:24 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
After over a year, I am still trying to find a balance between not eating when I am not hungry, and making sure I get enough protein to keep my lean body mass. It's hard for me, and I waver back and forth too much, honestly. I have a lifelong history of skipping meals, which hasn't been healthy for me, so that's something I try to be conscious of. It doesn't always work.

I get a hydrostatic body analysis every four months, so I can accurately see how my eating habits affect my efforts. In the time period before my most recent test, I was leaning more towards just not eating at all if I wasn't hungry, and I averaged several days per month when I ate very few calories, and more importantly, not near enough protein for my LBM. I think that was one of the biggest factors that led to me losing a bigger chunk of LBM than I ever had before.

That's not acceptable to me, so I'm back to keeping a closer eye on my protein intake, and at least having a small protein-heavy snack if I'm not hungry for a full meal.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:46 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: grneyedldy
That's how I feel Ntombi, though I don't have the same health issues as you.....I'm making sure I get my protein needs met. In the past I skipped meals and ate too little. Or I skipped meals and ate too much.

My past way of losing weight mostly consisted of high stress, cigs, wine and little food. All that has changed.

I can honestly say that this is the longest I've gone (7 mos with some holidays thrown in) of eating for not just weight loss, but for health. I don't want to lose muscle, so I'm trying to make sure I get adequate nutrition even when I'm not especially hungry.

So yes I eat when not especially hungry. I don't force feed, just eat at the basic same times daily and meet my protein needs.
grneyedldy is online now   Reply With Quote