Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 09:03 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kwerp
Stats: 146/127/120
WOE: JUDDD + <20g carb
Nutritional Ketosis February Chat

Hi!!
I thought I'd start a thread for February general chat.

My latest obsession is full fat cream cheese on courgette slices (zucchini). I can't have too much cream cheese, but it's a nice treat.

What are you all digging right now?
kwerp is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Terilynn
Stats: back to LC 1/6/14, going to stick to & make it
WOE: LC
Nothing is really moving me right now - I am still trying to limit the protein - - that is still a hard calculation for me. Fat - easy, limiting carbs - easy - - - figuring out and limiting protein.... still too much work!
Terilynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/129.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I've been mixing MCT oil into everything to get more fat in. I add it to my deviled eggs, egg salad, scrambled eggs, ground beef, pretty much everything. Loving it!
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Big Yapper!!!!

I went to buy some MCT from vitamin cottage and it was very expensive - but it was a pretty big bottle. I didn't want to buy that much without knowing more.

Does it have a flavor?

I use coconut oil - is there a lot of difference?
Old 02-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No flavor at all. I prefer it just because it stays liquid, so I can use it in cold things. It doesn't get hard like the coconut oil does.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #6
Big Yapper!!!!

may give it a go then - -

so that's the trick to get more fat - - what's the trick to get less protein?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

For me, I eat a lot of eggs. They're the perfect blend of fat and protein. Then I'll add more fat with butter or MCT oil.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Alfredo sauce! It is good on just about anything.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Galveston Gal
Stats: 5'0"
WOE: Low Carb/High Fat
Even though I live on coastal Texas...IT IS COLD OUT THERE...39...
...so I have been enjoying stew-like stir-fry with veggies/meat/thickened bone broth with Guar Gum.
I have switched to the current container of Guar Gum, because they were out of Xanthan when I made my last run to Vitamin Shoppe.
Drinking lots of bone broth and green tea...just to keep warm!!!
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:34 AM   #10
Big Yapper!!!!

Bone broth does sound interesting and I do make an alfredo sauce to go on most everything - I know I get the fat I need - just still have issues with too much protein I guess. I have started working out and that is killing my appetite at night - - but during the day I am HUNGRY! I haven't weighed in a while because I was tired of being disappointed - - just plugging along taking it a day at a time - - hoping to at least drop 5 pounds a month, but you just never know. I get so jealous when I read about the 5 pounds a week weight loss - - I guess when your 56 years old it just doesn't happen anymore.

It has been extremely cold in Colorado lately too, but it is finally warming up - - we are going to be in the 60's for a few days....yee haw!!!!!

Last edited by Terilynn; 02-12-2014 at 05:35 AM..
Old 02-12-2014, 05:53 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terilynn View Post

- - I guess when your 56 years old it just doesn't happen anymore.

....or when one is over 65 either....
Galveston Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Not to rub it in, but we're supposed to be in the 80's by the end of the week!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Bone broth does sound interesting and I do make an alfredo sauce to go on most everything - I know I get the fat I need - just still have issues with too much protein I guess. I have started working out and that is killing my appetite at night - - but during the day I am HUNGRY! I haven't weighed in a while because I was tired of being disappointed - - just plugging along taking it a day at a time - - hoping to at least drop 5 pounds a month, but you just never know. I get so jealous when I read about the 5 pounds a week weight loss - - I guess when your 56 years old it just doesn't happen anymore.

It has been extremely cold in Colorado lately too, but it is finally warming up - - we are going to be in the 60's for a few days....yee haw!!!!!
When I was in my 30's, I lost weight just like that. But now I am in my 50's, and I lose at about 2 pounds a month. I am happy with that and knowing that I am not gaining, makes me very content. I like to take 2 pounds of butter out of the fridge and look at it, and I then realize how much fat that really is.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:14 AM   #14
Big Yapper!!!!

Hi Carolyn - I am with you. I feel so much better. I am staying off the scale so I don't get discouraged - - my hope of losing 5 pounds a month is very optimistic. I don't think it will ever happen. I plan to weigh again in a month or so and see how it is going. I know when I eat too much.

The thing I hate about dieting.... (which is why I need to try to turn this into the concept of way of eating for life).... is that I feel guilty whenever I eat ANYTHING - - on plan or not. I think doing Hcg might have done that to me, or I am just weird that way.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: sistersputnik
Hi Terilynn,

I'm new on this board, but have been doing lchf for a little over a month now, and have the same protein frustrations you do. It's crazy, because I switched over from a high protein/low fat diet (my trainer put me on it, and it was disgusting -- I'm not a big meat person at all). What a relief to start keto. I love eating this way, but the protein is my biggest challenge.

The other day, I made roasted eggplant, rolled around a mixture of whole milk ricotta, egg yolk, parmesan, with mozz on top... I blew through my protein on that because I neglected to notice that ricotta and mozzarella are higher in protein than they are in fat. So frustrating!!

Plugging everything into a tracker is like a full time job -- but if I'm not tracking, the scale is not moving.
sistersputnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:00 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
I feel guilty whenever I eat ANYTHING - - on plan or not.
As much as you can, work against that mindset. I understand where it comes from - I've hd issues with that myself in the past. What made a difference for me was realizing food is the fuel my body needs to perform optimally. Yes, I have extra "storage" around the middle, but starving myself won't help me access it - eating good, healthy fat will. So the next time the guilt starts creeping up, repeat to yourself, "Food is Fuel" and enjoy eating your fuel. God gave us delicious food and taste buds to enjoy it – take it for the blessing that is.

Food is Fuel!

Food is Fuel!

Food is Fuel!

Last edited by MerryKate; 02-15-2014 at 03:03 AM..
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Last10
Stats: 249/142/142
WOE: Primal, Intermittant M&E
Start Date: Mostly LC since 1999 when I joined LCF
I too am struggling to keep my protein down. That said, I'm getting better at it this week. I haven't gotten over around 60% fat but I'll keep working at it. I do love how I feel right now. I've always known that my body prefers burning fat. I'm a month off any grains and my tummy is so much flatter. But best is not craving carbs. Maybe just a tad bit if the person sitting next to me is tearing into fresh artisan bread. Now I just pick at the butter instead if I know it's good organic quality.
Last10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:00 AM   #18
Chatty Cathy

Last10, I have been off carbs for a very long time now and I have no desire at.all. to eat them again. It is hard to envision a situation where I would want to.

Being keto adapted has been an amazing experience and I just don't want to stop.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Last10
Stats: 249/142/142
WOE: Primal, Intermittant M&E
Start Date: Mostly LC since 1999 when I joined LCF
HinCathy, that's what most people say that are keto adapted, that they feel terrific. How long did it take before you became keto adapted?
Last10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #20
Chatty Cathy

I have no way of knowing for sure how long it took and if I stayed there 100% of the time until I started n.k..

Now, over the past 20 + months, I have been demonstrably in ketosis! The years before that, probably most of the time but too much protein and veg likely did push me out some of the time....????
Old 02-19-2014, 02:06 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: wish
Stats: 215/183/145
WOE: Atkins/ketogenic
Start Date: January 18 2014
Hi everyone!

I am new to this thread and new to this way of eating. I have been strict for almost 5 weeks now, I feel amazing and I am finding so many great foods that I enjoy. I started a journal as well. I started with the Atkins 2 week induction and then during that time discovered NK and there is so much info out there it has really interested me. I believe this is the lifestyle for me, I have a lot of blood sugar and metabolic/hormonal issues that I think this diet will help. By the way, I haven't experienced any low blood sugar, hypoglycemia was a big problem for me before I started this.

I will be ordering a book today called, "the art and science of low carbohydrate performance". Anyone read it? is it any good?

Galvestan Gal - your danishes look sooo amazing, I just want a bite so bad! where can I find the recipe? mind sharing?

Last edited by wish; 02-19-2014 at 02:10 PM..
wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #22
Chatty Cathy

Welcome wish!! I have not read the performance book but the earlier one which is 'living'. I have heard they are similar with the performance book paying more attention to the exercise aspects. Both very good!
Old 02-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

oh I didn't know there are two, I guess the "living" one may be better for me at this time. thx
Old 02-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #24
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Margee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtherGoos View Post
For me, I eat a lot of eggs. They're the perfect blend of fat and protein. Then I'll add more fat with butter or MCT oil.
I am just wondering how many eggs would be too many? For 20 years now, I have eaten 21 eggs a week. 3 every breakfast. I never miss a morning. I could eat eggs all day long. I do not like meat. I am not a vegetarian - I just don't like meat. If I thought I would be safe eating 6 eggs a day, I would. That would almost give me my protein needs except I would add a nice avocado once a day to the menu. I have never gotten bored eating the same thing foods over and over again. What do you think?

Thanks!

Last edited by Margee; 02-19-2014 at 02:30 PM..
Margee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't see why not? Try it and see how you do. I think eggs are amazing!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:01 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

yay! I just ordered "the art and science of low carbohydrate living", I have to wait for a few weeks before I get it but I am so excited!!

Margee- I am no expert but in all the reading I have done, there is NO problem with eating that many eggs a day, from what I have learned, saturated fat is only bad in the context of a high carb diet, infact your liver makes saturated fat from extra carbs and that is where they become a problem. When you eat keto, you are using up all the fat you eat as fuel, most cholesterol is produced by the body, only a small amount of it actually comes from dietary cholesterol. The problem again stems from a high carb diet.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wish View Post
Hi everyone!

I am new to this thread and new to this way of eating. I have been strict for almost 5 weeks now, I feel amazing and I am finding so many great foods that I enjoy. I started a journal as well. I started with the Atkins 2 week induction and then during that time discovered NK and there is so much info out there it has really interested me. I believe this is the lifestyle for me, I have a lot of blood sugar and metabolic/hormonal issues that I think this diet will help. By the way, I haven't experienced any low blood sugar, hypoglycemia was a big problem for me before I started this.

I will be ordering a book today called, "the art and science of low carbohydrate performance". Anyone read it? is it any good?

Galvestan Gal - your danishes look sooo amazing, I just want a bite so bad! where can I find the recipe? mind sharing?
The first link below is where I posted my first Oopsie picture/recipe.
There are so many ways to use the Oopsie.
I don't make them very often....I have portion issues and I am the only one I my house that eats them....

So, I made oopsie rolls tonight....

Uses for oopsie rolls (recipe thread)

Cleochatra's Revoloopsie Rolls (home-made hamburger buns and more)

Oopsie Rolls

Oopsie Cheese Danish?
Old 02-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #28
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Demy
WOE: Keto <3
Start Date: August 2013
Help pleeease

I am doing keto for a couple of months and I suddenly reached the plateau this week.The thing is that I started daily exercise (1-2 hours) weightlifting and some cardio at my local gym.I read that it is the muscle that causes weight gain/no weight loss but I am only doing this for week so I dont think this is possible..Do I have to limit the calories? (I thought I had to eat more now that I am exercising, I added about 200 calories a day) What am I doing wrong??
Demy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

hi Demy,

I am new to this, almost done week 5. Anyways, during my first two weeks I did walking on the treadmill and then week 3,4,5 I did weights and a lot of HIT. I had a lot of muscle pain all over and in week 3 and 4 I did not lose anything, I actually gained in week 3. This week I have lost 3lbs so far. I wouldn't decrease the calories unless you are eating like a crazy amount. It helped for me to track calories for a few days just to see I wasn't overdoing it (the fat) as I was counting carbs and protein. Anyways, just give it a few days and see, don't panic, hang in there. Yes it could be water retention.

Thanks for the reply and recipe Galveston Gal!
Old 02-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #30
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demy View Post
I am doing keto for a couple of months and I suddenly reached the plateau this week.The thing is that I started daily exercise (1-2 hours) weightlifting and some cardio at my local gym.I read that it is the muscle that causes weight gain/no weight loss but I am only doing this for week so I dont think this is possible..Do I have to limit the calories? (I thought I had to eat more now that I am exercising, I added about 200 calories a day) What am I doing wrong??
It is almost certainly a case of fluid retention. You may need to add some protein but 'calories' is too unspecific. What level of protein intake are you?