Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2014, 01:20 PM   #31

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despicableme View Post
Do u keep a journal? I would love to see what r u eating because I always, I mean always get too high in protein!!!
Sorry for the delayed reply. I don't eat a large amount of meat. Some of my meals are just very low carb / low cal veggies with high fat dressing or sauce. Examples are zoodles with bertoli garlic alfredo (90% fat), salad with home made ranch, spaghetti squash with garlic butter and parmesan cheese... the portions are pretty small but I'm satisfied.

Here's a sample menu.

B 2-3 slices thick cut Applewood smoked bacon and coffee with a couple tbsp hwc

S 1/2 oz pecans

L 2 oz butter lettuce, diced pickle slice, couple tbsp diced red bell pepper and onion, couple tbsp chopped bacon and sliced almond, with couple tbsp ranch dressing and 1 oz cheese

S 4oz full fat geek yogurt, a tbsp hwc and sf fruit flavored syrup

D shell-less tacos using just a couple of oz of highest fat percentage beef, few tbsp low carb veggies, 1 oz cheese and 2-3 tbsp sour cream

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keto_canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
Minor correction the original fat fast is 1000 calories, 90% fat (the modified is 1200, 80%)

I did many fat fasts because I had extreme metabolic resistance as described by Dr. Atkins.
Can you explain more about this and how you incorporate many fat fast? I do fall into the extreme metabolic issues in which I am taking medication for but its taking a long time to heal. I am on keto and for the past 5 weeks, no weight loss but inches lost. Not discourage as this diet must be my lifestyle now.

Looking forward to hearing from you as well as others on this topic.

Last edited by keto_canada; 02-08-2014 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: missed word
keto_canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #33

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by keto_canada View Post
Can you explain more about this and how you incorporate many fat fast? I do fall into the extreme metabolic issues in which I am taking medication for but its taking a long time to heal. I am on keto and for the past 5 weeks, no weight loss but inches lost. Not discourage as this diet must be my lifestyle now.

Looking forward to hearing from you as well as others on this topic.
I did regular low carb but wasn't losing anymore even at about 300lb... but I was also not gaining (gained on weight watchers). Only the fat fast worked for weight loss for me then, and too many days a row made me feel awful. So I did fat fast a couple of days a week and regular low carb plus calorie counting other days of the week. Eventually, at about 275lb even that stopped working and my fasting insulin was more than 10x what it should be and medication (metformin) also didn't help and that's when I got wls.
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:01 AM   #34
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I did regular low carb but wasn't losing anymore even at about 300lb... but I was also not gaining (gained on weight watchers). Only the fat fast worked for weight loss for me then, and too many days a row made me feel awful. So I did fat fast a couple of days a week and regular low carb plus calorie counting other days of the week. Eventually, at about 275lb even that stopped working and my fasting insulin was more than 10x what it should be and medication (metformin) also didn't help and that's when I got wls.
I always wonder about wls. It appears to be about what a person consumes in terms of volume (i.e. calories). But I wonder if it isn't more about the hormones being 'adjusted'. Your case really seems to be a good example.

It seems for some of us that adjusting macros (i.e. low carb), works for a time probably due to reducing insulin but over time, it stops working despite all efforts. Even in some wls. It has to be a complex system of hormone responses. That would explain why the different types of wls. No?

Last edited by clackley; 02-09-2014 at 06:04 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:10 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Maddyg2014
What is wls?
Maddyg2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:28 AM   #36
Chatty Cathy

Weight loss surgery.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:29 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: eraser51
@mariposa

hi can you tell me more about your metabolism resistance according to atkins?

how often did you made a fat fast?
how long?
what did you eat?
how many calories did you eat?

I am fasting right now with 1800kcl (90%fat/9%prot/1%carbs) but was before on low carb with about 3000kcl (75%fat/24prot/1%carbs). guess the many fat just makes me full like hell^^

Im in ketosis right now at least... took my 2 weeks and just the FF made it happen again but I am not sure how long to do it..

did you raise the protein level later after the FF again?
eraser51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #38
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Margee
I am doing Jimmy Moores 'fat fast' for a week to see what happens. I'm on day 3.

He says to eat 4 -300 calorie meals a day. My menu will be the same everyday because I do not like meat. This makes it simple for me.

1.2 eggs, 3 slices bacon.
2. 2 eggs, 3 slices bacon.
3. I full avocado
4. 2 eggs and 1 once of chicken or fish (with fat)

I also eat butter on the eggs and have 2 tablespoons coconut oil done up in a delicious 'fat bomb'. So far-so good. I am not hungry and if I do get hungry I will have a few spinach leaves to relieve the hunger.

He explains it here:

Fat Fast For A Few Days To Induce Weight Loss « Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

Hope this helps someone. I am doing this because I would LOVE to have 5 more pounds off by the end of March -1st week of April to go on vacation. If I can lose 5 more, it will give me a total of 15 pounds and the clothes I wore last year will fit me this year. I'm soooo close!!

*hugs* to all!
Margee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #39
Chatty Cathy

In my opinion, this is not a fat fast due to the amount of protein.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:13 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ladyboss7
Stats: 245 / 195 / 140
WOE: Hi Protein / Hi Fat / Low Carb
Start Date: R1 10/19/08 R2 12/26/10 R3 12/28/13
I agree with Cathy, that menu is only 69% fat....even with butter added it would come no where near the 90% needed to qualify as a fat fast???? It's exceedingly high in protein.
ladyboss7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:27 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

Maybe, I'll cut the protein down tomorrow cause that makes sense. Thanks guys!! *hug*

But don't you think the eggs and bacon are a low protein? It doesn't really add up to much protein?? I'm scratching my head a little...Lol
Old 03-04-2014, 08:32 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

2 eggs and 3 slices of bacon = 20.4g of Fat and 20.1g of protein.....that comes out to 69% fat and 30% protein. You will never come close to 90% fat if you have 30% protein.

Your menu is a GREAT low calorie / low carb menu and you should certainly lose and get into ketosis at that rate.....but that's not Fat Fast levels. You're best option is to use one of the many FREE and really great online food journals that will track your food for you and break down your macros. This is how I manage my WOE and my Fat Fasting....I can play around with menu options until I hot the right macros and then be absolutely certain that I'm doing the right things.

Good luck!

Be the type of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap....she's up"!!

Made it to Onederland 7/1/14!!!
199 190 185 180 175 170 165 160 155 150 145
Old 03-04-2014, 03:55 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Thank you guys so much for responding. I need help!! Where is the best place to find a good fat fast? Can anyone do a small menu for the day using eggs as the main protein? I need a little guidance here. I'd really like to do a proper fat fast to speed up my weight loss. I'm totally ready for it. I had absolutely no hunger today. I only ate 2 small meals, 1/2 avocado and 2 fat bombs......Am I somewhere on the right track??

I have 5 weeks to lose 5 pounds so my last year clothes fit me for my vacation in April!!!! Help please!!!

Hugs to all!! You guys are amazing!!
Old 03-04-2014, 05:56 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margee View Post
Thank you guys so much for responding. I need help!! Where is the best place to find a good fat fast? Can anyone do a small menu for the day using eggs as the main protein? I need a little guidance here. I'd really like to do a proper fat fast to speed up my weight loss. I'm totally ready for it. I had absolutely no hunger today. I only ate 2 small meals, 1/2 avocado and 2 fat bombs......Am I somewhere on the right track??

I have 5 weeks to lose 5 pounds so my last year clothes fit me for my vacation in April!!!! Help please!!!

Hugs to all!! You guys are amazing!!
Margee, If you have 5 weeks to lose five pounds I don't think you need to stress over a fat fast.....just dropping the carbs and calories like you've been doing should do it......On a fat fast the goal is 90% fat.....however you get there......which means it little protein. My fat fasts are usually primarily liquid with maybe a couple of eggs tossed in. I drink at least 1 sometime BPC each morning. (That's bullet proof coffee) I make mine with a spoonful of butter, a spoonful of coconut oil, and HWC, all mixed up with my immersion blender to make it frothy....it's very high fat and really holds me over. Cream cheese, brie, macadamia nuts....all of those are great fat fast staples.....but you typically do not do a fat fast more than 2 or 3 days.

Again, if you have 5 weeks to lose only 5 pounds, just stick to what you've been doing......I think you'll be surprised at how quickly you lose that 5 pounds!!
Old 03-05-2014, 04:29 AM   #45
Junior LCF Member

ladyboss, thank you so much for that encouragement. I think you are right. I am just going to do the fat fast a couple times a week and continue what I am doing. My scales showed me that I was down (finally) another pound this morning. I was really pleased. Thanks again hon!!

*Hug*
Old 03-05-2014, 06:51 AM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Maddyg2014
I can recommend Dana Carpenter's book on Fat Fasting. It is a great read and provides a lot of recipes.
Maddyg2014 is offline   Reply With Quote