Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Fasting blood glucose this morning: 96. I was hoping for lower, but I'm pretty happy with that.

Post strawberries yesterday (1 hour) was 116. Super good!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2014, 04:01 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, so I posted in my NK thread the macros I found in the Phinney video about Volek's weight loss formula. I am way off on what I am trying to do here.

I thumbed through the book, this is not a weight loss book.

I found a page that listed a protein range. For most people, the lower end of the range is 90. I did not get that. When I did a low carb, high fat diet, I admit, I did gain weight.

So, what I know is, I don't know what I'm doing. What I do know is I got on the scale this morning, and everything has reversed. I am back where I started. I think the addition of the salt and the plant matter just plain represents what I thought I lost in the first place.

So, If I take the formula from the Phinney slide, this is what I would have to do:

16% carb
28% protein
59% fat

For the 1510 calories, I know that, while I am not a calorie counter, this is a maintenance level of calories for me. I know I am tall but that makes no difference. I really am small framed and have been told so by a doctor, despite being tall and wide-framed. I am an odd combination with wide hips but small bones. My mother was only 5 foot 3, and my bones were much smaller than hers although I am much wider (she was wide-framed as well). It is truly weird.

I have observed that I lose weight when I spontaneously eat less than 1500 without trying (when appetite falls away).

So, I am going to look at these ratios, of getting about 28% protein and 16% carbs. Interestingly, at 1000 calories, this works out to be close to 30 carbs and 70 grams of protein, which is what my doctor and I agreed on in the first place. Well, 50 to 70 grams of protein, but I am supposed to get a meter. I think I have to do that now.

I think the protein might depend on activity level. I'll see if I can find the Volek study to figure out if the people were exercising. I have not been.

OK, starting from scratch.

Again.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-08-2014 at 04:03 PM..
Old 02-08-2014, 05:49 PM   #63
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today:

B: upon waking, MCT Oil, 1 tablespoon (I upped my dose with no side effects, finally!!!_, no brushing teeth or any flavors for one full hour

Coffee - this time no butter. Add unsweetened almond milk (about a cup) and stevia.

L:

1 cup arugla
1 cup red lettuce
2 cups spinach
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 scoop red powder
1 scoop green powder
1 heaping teaspoon of resistant starch
stevia
Fill vitamix 3/4 full, blend

I am on a smoothie kick. I hate green vegetables, seriously...

Dinner:

I haven't decided, but I have a lot of homemade bone broth, so I think:

Voluminous amounts of home-made broth (which has some meat in it) with broccoli, as much as it takes to get me through the evening.
Decaf with unsweetened almond milk.

I don't think it is going to be a hunger problem. So far, my appetite is incredibly suppressed. There i really something about reducing the protein. Am I screwing myself? I don't know. I have to capitalize on this. I'll plug into my online tracker when I figure out how much I have had for the day.

Principals followed today:

Seth Roberts: Flavorless oil in flavorless window for appetite suppression.

Stephan Guyenet: Paleo foods, reduce the caloric density of the foods you are eating (smoothie had plenty of water, bone broth - same thing

NK - Phinney/Volek: Low carb, moderate protein...apparently, to lose weight, you eat to your protein requirement, you eat low carb, and while high fat, not as high as it will be in maintenance. Eat plenty of salted, home-made broth, eat plenty of non-starchy vegetables and a moderate amount of low carb fruit.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:29 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

2/8 revised.

B: upon waking, MCT Oil, 1 tablespoon (I upped my dose with no side effects, finally!!!) no brushing teeth or any flavors for one full hour

Coffee w/unsweetened almond milk (about a cup) and stevia.

Lunch:
Smoothie
1 cup arugla
1 cup red lettuce
2 cups spinach
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 scoop red powder
1 scoop green powder
1 heaping teaspoon of resistant starch
stevia
Fill vitamix 3/4 full, blend

Dinner:

4 cups of home-made broth with meat
Decaf with unsweetened almond milk
And another smoothie (see lunch)

Supplements:
fermented cod liver oil capsules
krill oil capsule
vitamin d
vitamin k2
vitamin b12
grass-fed liver tablets

Stephan Guyenet: Paleo foods, reduce the caloric density of the foods you are eating (smoothie had plenty of water, bone broth - same thing), don't snack, get your omega 3. Eat fat, but don't mix it with your food (I like to go with MCT oil plain, unsalted butter in coffee, or a LOT of almond milk in coffee).

NK - Phinney/Volek: Eat plenty of salted, home-made broth, eat plenty of non-starchy vegetables and a moderate amount of low carb fruit. Low carb, moderate protein, high fat but throttle back the fat for weight loss, add more fat for maintenance.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-09-2014 at 01:39 AM..
Old 02-09-2014, 04:57 AM   #65
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Eliza_Jazz
Stats: in Twoterville :)
WOE: My own natural/organic LC
Start Date: April 20, 2010 and every day since
Hi! May I join? Hi KT
Eliza_Jazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:52 AM   #66
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Eliza!!! Good to see you!

K.T., how is is going? Do you think you have hit ketosis yet? How are you feeling?
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Eliza!!! Thanks for joining my thread! Wow, look at all your walking, that is amazing!!!

Cathy - thanks for asking. I think I have finally made it. Yesterday was 50-ish grams of protein (I counted the liver tabs too, but the bone broth is really unknown since I make it myself). Carbs were a little over at 60 grams. All I need to do there is either dump the red drink powder or cut it in half and I'm good. I'm feeling much better! I was actually on my feet yesterday picking things up and getting things done. I am not as cold as I was. My body aches are fading (I think dropping most night shades is helping...but I still use the hot sauce).

I am certain all the fat eating did help get me here and I believe is probably really necessary to get started, but I dialed it back yesterday and I was fine. It is a relief to feel like I don't have to eat something every few hours!

I really think there is something about getting all the minerals in the bone broth and smoothies that is calming the appetite. I've never been successful in eating much less than 75 grams of protein without losing it (Kwasniewski Optimal Diet days), but then again, all my craziness over the past year of my biohacking experiments may well have whittled away my lean body mass, and I know I was taking risks.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:05 AM   #68
Chatty Cathy

What is red drink powder? I have never heard of it.

I am glad to hear you are feeling better. I am a very big advocate for bone broth and I love it!! Made a giant pot last weekend.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #69
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, it was an impulse buy. I was eyeballing supplements at Trader Joes and spotted these jars. The red and green mixes are full of antioxidants, enzymes, and probiotics. I was on a smoothie kick at the time, so, I felt really cool buying these. My joke is I love to buy supplements for my cabinets; these things have been sitting around the house for an embarrassing amount of time, barely used.

On a more important note, I had my first spontaneous intermittent fast!!!! I went to a paleo book club meeting (first time), met a friend (I warned my friend in advance that I can't go off my diet, so we didn't eat out), went shopping, took my daughter back to the dorm, and next thing you know, it is 11 pm and I have only had a coffee since my lunch at 11:00!

Wow, I feel great. This is a rare, rare event. I wonder if this is going to repeat.

I will note, I upped my MCT oil today. Perhaps this is why it happened. I had two tablespoons of MCT oil for breakfast (no stomach cramps, yay! I had to work up from one teaspoon slowly to get here), one hour wait before my coffee, lunch the bone broth with some meat (not much!) and my smoothie blend. One of the small chocoperfection bars (think mini-like the size you would get for Halloween) because I wanted a little boost to be in a good mood before seeing my friend (she is one of my coworkers that was laid off), and a sugar-free vanilla latte at the book club because it was held in a coffee shop (darn, they did not have cream, so it did have half-half).

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-09-2014 at 11:39 PM..
Old 02-10-2014, 05:59 AM   #70
Chatty Cathy

Sounds really good K.T.! The issue with upping good fats like mct oil and such is about having the body be a constant fat burner.

Of course, our bodies burn fat naturally whether in ketosis or not but getting it to burn fat as the primary fuel is a little different. It seems to me that when fat burning is the primary, hunger turns into a different beast all together as opposed to when glucose is the primary fuel.

I love that I never worry about getting hungry. I know that it is not going to be that horrible, desperate hunger of the days of being a glucose burner. It is entirely manageable and just kind of taps you on the shoulder and then fades to the background for another long period of time. It never screams in your ear. After all, that is what body fat is supposed to be for. For those times that fuel is unavailable. At least, that is how a properly functioning body is suppose to work!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #71
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yay! I had forgotten how cool it is to be a fat burner!
Old 02-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #72
Chatty Cathy

Yes it is! I should have said that hunger is not a 'beast' when in ketosis! It is a gentle, friendly reminder.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:51 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I am still spontaneously not eating. However, I think this is not a good idea for me to let it go too long.

After not eating dinner on Sunday, I just went to bed, but I could not sleep. I did finally fall asleep only to wake up with my heart pounding on Monday at about 4:30 am. So, I was tired all day Monday from lack of sleep, and consequently, ate more than usual (not a lot).

Today, I felt great, and I came home from work, heated up a bowl of bone broth, but I put too much salt in it and set it aside while I logged in and did some work. Here it is 11:30 pm and the broth is still sitting there, and I forgot to eat. So, I'm not going to make the same mistake I did Sunday night. Despite lack of hunger, I just spun up my lettuce/blueberry smoothie (with resistant starch!!!) and heated up a handful of shrimp from the freezer. I'm not going to risk no sleep again.

I truly think there is something magnificent in these lettuce smoothies. I never paid any attention to leafy greens before (I usually ate cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, and such). There is something magical about these leafy greens. I don't like salad much, but spinning these to a juice in the blender with blueberries...just wow. I feel so good. I think my appetite is down because of these. They are so light and refreshing. I guess it is the potassium, not sure.

I am going to drop the spinach. I've been feeding it to the rabbit. I read something about it being high in oxalates.

I think the red lettuce is my favorite, but I will get two or three types each trip.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-11-2014 at 11:55 PM..
Old 02-12-2014, 08:23 AM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sigh....I did not sleep much last night. I woke up at 4:30 am again after going to bed after midnight.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #75
Chatty Cathy

K.T., I had a lot of trouble with sleep and there are a couple of routes that you can try. I found that sublingual melatonin really did the trick but another is magnesium (remember the epsom salt bath?). Natural Calm is a good one.

Wishing you a sleepy night! Your eyes are heavy..... relax your toes, relax your calves, and relax your body.....self hypnosis!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #76
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL, yes, I need encouragement!

Ah, yes, magnesium! I though I was getting enough with all the veg, but maybe not. Hmm. I might have some melatonin; I had forgotten I used to take it. Probably Epson salt somewhere in the house! Wow, I have been so lethargic for so long, it is unbelievable how disorganized the house is.

It is weird how diet changes everything. I am getting more energetic. I am warming up. It is great!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:46 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So, today my issue is blood sugar swings. I suspected it yesterday when I was talking to someone and realized I was talking to slow and not making sense.

Today, I caught myself feeling this way, and had just a tiny bit of sugar to keep from hitting the wall (about 1/4 teaspoon) and tested my blood sugar one hour later. Only 89. I wonder how low it really was. I should have checked. I suspect my standing up at my desk is something I am not used to (I usually sit all day). This is supposed to be better than sitting all day then trying to work out in the evening. I just started standing yesterday, and yesterday was the first day I noticed a problem.

This morning it was 145 after having just strawberries. I've ordered more strips and asked the diabetic nurse to call me. I saw 152 as a high yesterday. It seems to be high in the morning after breakfast.

Maybe I'm still adjusting, I don't know.

On the food front, it is still going well anyway.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:58 PM   #78
Chatty Cathy

What are our ketones like?
Old 02-13-2014, 11:19 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't know. I still haven't sprung for the strips. I'm going to ask the diabetic nurse tomorrow if she knows a way I can get the precision machine for free. Sometimes they have free regular glucose machines.

I'm only eating 50-ish grams of protein. Meat only 1x per day, so I know I'm not overdoing it. No dairy. Haven't had eggs for days. Just strawberries and blueberries for carbs (not counting greens). I have never been able to eat this low protein before, it is weird. Tonight I had a red lettuce leaf smoothie with a whole cucumber blended in with blueberries and Kale Krunch kale chips (I really should stay out of these but could not resist). I didn't need to eat any meat at all for dinner to feel full; I felt great (I had salmon at lunch today and a salad with no dressing - work lunch out). MCT oil for breakfast.

I'm going to poke myself silly to figure out what is going on. I really suspect the stand up work station for low blood sugar. I usually just sit all day. I think I'm not used to it is all and will adjust.

The morning high blood sugar is stress, I think. I am super-susceptible to stress and my blood sugar shoots up. This is what I think is happening in the middle of the night too and wakes me up. I have heard multiple times low carb can cause adrenal issues and IF as well. It has been kind of fun just losing my appetite and not eating much, but I also think this is screwing up my blood sugar. So, I am going to break the limited eating window rule. I think this is not a good thing for me. I'll just eat a snack before bed and keep strawberries on my desk for snacks and see if this helps.

Also, I really think this nonsense will stop when I lose about 10 pounds. I am in prediabetic mode.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-13-2014 at 11:25 PM..
Old 02-14-2014, 05:56 AM   #80
Chatty Cathy

The PrecisionXtra is a combo meter. When I got it, it was free with the purchase of b.g. strips. From what I understand, that is a standing offer.
Old 02-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Last10
Stats: 249/142/142
WOE: Primal, Intermittant M&E
Start Date: Mostly LC since 1999 when I joined LCF
Hi KT, thanks for all of this great info. Some of it is difficult to wade through so I appreciate the synopsis. I've seen you over at MDA. I hope you don't mind me following along.
Last10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Cathy - thanks. I still haven't been called back by the nurse. I'll try calling the company. I did find some links about free machine online but when I looked at their site the offer wasn't there.

Hi Last10! I enjoy the company, thanks for looking in.

I woke up late and forgot to check my fasting blood sugar until I got to work. I did manage to have MCT oil for breakfast (I set my alarm and put it in my bathroom to make me remember to take it). An hour later, coffee with almond milk.

I mindlessly popped one little unripe strawberry and checked my blood sugar about 1/2 hour later. It was only 101, this is really good. I dodged the office treats and had an extra dose of blueberries in a red-lettuce smoothie with Truvia and resistant starch after munching on strawberries this morning. One hour after the smoothie, 139. Not too bad, it is within range. I put 3 ounces of frozen shrimp in the bottom of a bowl and loaded it with frozen vegetables and microwaved for 4 minutes. It is not steaming hot, but my gosh, it is suprisingly good.

I meant to save 1/2 my strawberries for the afternoon but forgot. I am going to make another red lettuce smoothie with blueberries and maybe take a second dose of MCT oil an hour later.

A weird thing happened today - I don't need my coffee so much. I came to work, made a coffee, then did not drink it. Only one cup. This happened the last time I was doing Seth Roberts+ Stephan Guyenet. Interesting.

Not sure what dinner will be. I'm picking my daughter up from the dorm tonight. I will have the bone broth regardless!

Stephan Guyenet: Paleo foods, reduce the caloric density of the foods you are eating (smoothie had plenty of water, visually eating a lot more veg than meat), get your omega 3, (I am going to have to forgo on not snacking due to blood sugar issues). Eat fat, but don't mix it with your food (I like to go with MCT oil plain, unsalted butter in coffee, or a LOT of almond milk in coffee).

NK - Phinney/Volek: Eat plenty of salted, home-made broth, eat plenty of non-starchy vegetables and a moderate amount of low carb fruit. Low carb, moderate protein, high fat but throttle back the fat for weight loss, add more fat for maintenance.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-14-2014 at 12:55 PM..
Old 02-14-2014, 03:46 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Chris Kresser to Appear on Dr. Oz Monday, 2/17

Here is the announcement:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you google Dr. Oz, click on episodes for the preview.

Here is the email announcement:

Hi everyone,

Just a quick email to share some exciting news. Last week I recorded a segment on the Dr. Oz show. They asked me to come on to discuss a more flexible approach to Paleo for people interested in weight loss and general health. They were particularly intrigued by my view on calorie-restricted diets, dairy and legumes, so they built the segment around those topics.

Nell Stephenson (aka The Paleoista), who appeared in the first segment Dr. Oz did on Paleo with Loren Cordain, was also there to discuss her approach.

The show will air on this Monday, February 17th. The Dr. Oz show is on Fox, and the time varies from market to market (usually at 3pm or 4pm), so make sure to check your local listings. If you can’t watch it live, make sure to record it on your Tivo or DVR!

If you don’t have access to TV, the Dr. Oz show usually posts an excerpt from the segment on the website at ************. I think it usually takes a day or two for that to happen. I will email a link directly to the segment page on their website when it goes up.

It was exciting—and a lot of fun—to record the segment in studio with Dr. Oz, and I hope you enjoy watching it.

In Health,

Chris Kresser, L.Ac
Old 02-14-2014, 04:51 PM   #84
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
OMG!!! That is fantastic. Thanks for sharing this info Key. I will set my DVR.
dawnyama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #85
Senior LCF Member

My TiVo is set.

Key, I can't manage even tiny doses of MCT without extreme cramping. How long does it take you to adjust?
Old 02-14-2014, 08:31 PM   #86
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last10 View Post
My TiVo is set.

Key, I can't manage even tiny doses of MCT without extreme cramping. How long does it take you to adjust?
Oh, it takes a while...several weeks to build up. I had to clip it back to 1 teaspoon! I don't know what that is all about. The explanations I have read don't make any sense. I can eat butter with no problem, so it is not a matter of fat indigestion.

A LOT of people say this about the stomach cramps. Perhaps this has something to do with your body not wanting to store it as fat. I have a feeling that because it does not go to fat stores easily and you pretty much really need to burn it, and the body just isn't ready with the correct chemistry for that at first and, well, dumps it. I think it is a matter of digestive enzymes or something.

I was gung-ho last year and ended up in the bathroom all night. I eventually could down 4 tablespoons with only a little cramping.

Right now, I can take two tablespoons, but some days I don't feel great. Today I clipped it back to just one tablespoon since I was just a little uncomfortable yesterday, but did this twice, so I did get my two tablespoons in.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:34 PM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

RE: Chris Kresser - my GOSH, I KNOW!!! I just love him. I can't wait!!!

RE: Blood sugar swings - the nurse for Dr. Naiman (my paleo doc) was the one that called me back. She says my reaction is perfectly normal; it just takes a few weeks to adjust to the diet and to have some almond butter, nuts, kale chips, or some other paleo snack in the early afternoon and I will be fine. She said something with just a few carbs in it would do.

She didn't lknow anything about getting the precision machine, but she said one patient did follow through to get one. She thinks Walgreens had it but was not sure. I'll check.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-14-2014 at 08:35 PM..
Old 02-15-2014, 06:21 AM   #88
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: SugarPop
Stats: 225/143.0/125 (5'2")
WOE: Atkins/ LowCarb
Wow...I haven't been here in awhile and I gotta be honest - I was perusing the nsames to see if I recognized anyone - mostly no. But, your name stood out (very clever) and I ended up clicking on your link and read...Wow, first of all good luck to you. Just be glad it's just months and not years getting back on track. Secondly...WOW, what a great doctor!!! Few and far between. Most wanna stick to the old food pyramid. Where do you live? I might need to move there...lol

B
SugarPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Blah! Double post

Last edited by Last10; 02-15-2014 at 07:57 AM..
Old 02-15-2014, 07:57 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Key, thanks for the rundown on how you rect to MCT. It's great if I need unplugged, just hate the cramping and can't leave the house.

The link for your doctor doesn't work. There are lots with his name when I google. What area are you in?