Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 05:19 PM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fitforever
Stats: 5'10", 140 lbs - at optimum weight
WOE: Low Carb Ketogenic Diet
Start Date: January 2014
This a great thread. I have read the Paleo Code and Grain Brain in Q4 2014 and am enjoying my Ketogenic diet. It's so simple for me because I love eggs, coconut oil, leafy greens, all vegetables, almonds, walnuts, fish, grass fed meats and olives. I limit my carbs from vegetables & nuts to 25 grams a day. I also love turmeric and ginger and make tea everyday with these 2 roots and lemon juice. The cycling season starts in Texas in 6 weeks and this year I want to be fat/keto adapted when I start my 40-60 mile rides 3 times a week. I just ordered the Volek/Phinney book "The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance" to learn about adding back carbs before, during and after my 3-5 hour rides.
Fitforever is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #32
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have not read the performance book - just the living book. It was my impression that carbs were not part of the protocol before, during, after or ever so I will be very interested what you find out and of course, am hoping you share here.

Btw, very impressive rides!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Hey KT!
Every once in a while, I have to go and review our Dr K thread. That remains one of the best discussions yet on LCF.
Anyway, that's how I found you.

Sounds like you've had some drama but remember what you survived back then?
You are strong and smart AND you already know the food plan so it's just a small jump back to the good health you achieved.

I am really a wimp when it comes to GAPs and such...I feel like at this age that I just should not have to......I suppose I would if forced by some horrible alien baby type thing....but only kicking and screaming.

I still love my Dr K pancake and have embraced pork neck bones. In some areas, I've had to reduce fat but still keep enough for my gall bladder and brain health.

It is nice to see you.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:58 PM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Jem! Hello!

Good to see you!!!

Yes, the Optimal Diet thread was so fun and interesting.

I am really, really hoping to make it work this time. I think I've figured out how to make it work for weight loss this time. We'll see...

Thanks for the encouragement!
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitforever View Post
This a great thread. I have read the Paleo Code and Grain Brain in Q4 2014 and am enjoying my Ketogenic diet. It's so simple for me because I love eggs, coconut oil, leafy greens, all vegetables, almonds, walnuts, fish, grass fed meats and olives. I limit my carbs from vegetables & nuts to 25 grams a day. I also love turmeric and ginger and make tea everyday with these 2 roots and lemon juice. The cycling season starts in Texas in 6 weeks and this year I want to be fat/keto adapted when I start my 40-60 mile rides 3 times a week. I just ordered the Volek/Phinney book "The Art and Science of Low Carb Performance" to learn about adding back carbs before, during and after my 3-5 hour rides.
Great! Please come post here and tell me how you are doing.

I did some cycling last year, and I found it to be hard no matter what I was eating. I would have to wait about an hour into the ride before my energy kicked in; I don't know what that was about. I tried carbing up at various time points before the ride to no avail. An hour in and suddenly I would be a powerhouse. I do have insulin resistance, so that could be the problem.

Here is a tip...I found raisins to be the best darn thing out there to use for energy on a long ride! They work as well as the expensive energy goop (I didn't try it, I just googled the heck out of raisins when I discovered this accidentally (I stock raisins for our rabbit), and then I tried to figure out what was so magic about them).

It is also super easy to tuck some in a pocket and reach in without even having to stop riding.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html
Old 02-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones View Post
Today (I need accountability)

Broccoli (no salt)
grass-fed burger (trader joes) (curry spices but no salt)
avocado (plain)
coffee with unsalted kerrygold butter (my coworker saw this, said nothing!)
blueberry-kale smoothie (with Stevia) - add 2 egg yolks
beef home-made bone broth (with plenty of salt)

Operating principals:

Kresser - grass fed beef for better nutrition and better fat profile, very low carb for weight loss and blood sugar issues, has his own definition of paleo

Guyenet - do not salt food, have salt separately, as in broth; do not add fat to food, have fat separately (my buttered coffee and avocado), avoid wide food variety for short periods of time for weight loss, avoid processed, highly-palatable or rewarding foods for weight loss

Seth Roberts - intake of calories in flavorless window (a very small shot of MCT oil first thing this morning with no food for four hours (he only requires on hour on each side)
I stuck to this today, except that I had one extra avocado on the side with my broth, a little meat that came off the bone in the bone broth, and I forgot to mention I upped my dose of resistant starch to 2 teaspoons in the smoothie (Bob's Redmill Potato Starch).

My window was too long - I ate between 10 and 9 pm - I worked late. I'll try to narrow this up tomorrow.

Still not sure how I feel about the MCT oil - even that little bit gave me a small stomach ache. I know I made it work before.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-03-2014 at 09:17 PM..
Old 02-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I plugged all of this into ****** and see I am too high on carbohydrates. I'm not sure how absorbable the carbs are in avacado, but I have the protein dialed in at 50 grams, and I wasn't hungry at about 1450 calories. Yesterday seemed a good formula.

Fasting blood glucose: 100. This is high for me. I know about physiological insulin resistance, but still....

Tonight, I am going to have a little sweet potato at dinner (I think 1/3 of the large purple Japanese sweet potato that is rotting on my counter) instead of a berry smoothie. I am guessing my fasting blood glucose will drop if they work like regular potatoes. I am curious and will stay within carb limit of 50 for the day.

Sigh. I really like that berry smoothie. Maybe I'll just make an ice smoothie with just a few berries.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today's Plan (for accountability)

Waking:
1 teaspoon MCT Oil (no stomach cramps!)

Upon arriving to work:
coffee with 1 generous tablespoon of unsalted kerrygold butter

If needed late morning:
coffee with unsalted kerrygold butter

Lunch:
Broccoli (add salt*), well cooked in microwave
grass-fed burger (trader joes) (curry spices but no salt)
1 small avocado (plain)
2 teaspoons of Bob's Redmill Potato Starch (resistant starch) in water
Darn, forgot my broth today, but have bullion cubes (I know these are not great for you...)

*I don't think salting broccoli will stimulate my appetite, but we'll see

Dinner:
a small handful of blueberry smoothie (with Stevia) - add 2 egg yolks and 2 teaspoons of resistant starch
beef home-made bone broth (with plenty of salt) - plain and eaten separately because it has salt
grass-fed burger (trader joes) (curry spices but no salt), rummage in freezer for vegetables
Japanese purple sweet potato (1/3 of a large)

Operating principals:

Kresser - grass fed beef for better nutrition and better fat profile, very low carb for weight loss and blood sugar issues, has his own definition of paleo, eat carbs in the evening to address sleep problems, shorten window of eating, will target eating from 12 to 8 today, resistant starch for gut health

Guyenet - do not salt food, have salt separately, as in broth; do not add fat to food, have fat separately (my buttered coffee and avocado), avoid wide food variety for short periods of time for weight loss, avoid processed, highly-palatable or rewarding foods for weight loss

Seth Roberts - intake of calories in flavorless window - a very small shot of MCT oil first thing this morning with no food or flavors for one hour on each side of the oil shot

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-04-2014 at 08:53 AM..
Old 02-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

check out Paleocon. Chris Kresser's talk is free today. You can friend John Durant on fb and click links to it, or you can just google it.

Seth Roberts' talk on the same page (day 8)

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-04-2014 at 11:07 AM..
Old 02-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tidbits from the podcast:

Chris says we should not count carbs from non-starchy vegetables because they have so much fiber, and it actually takes a little glucose just to digest them, that what you get from them is virtually nil.

Some research suggests that people on a very low carb diets have alterations in their gut flora that appear to be not desirable because its the fermentable fiber in the starchy vegetables and other foods that tend to be higher in carbohydrates that feed the beneficial flora and if you completely remove these foods, you're not providing the substrate for those bacteria to grow. One of the hottest topics in health now is studying the connection between the gut biome and health and we want to do everything we can to support a healthy microbiome.

*Note from KT - this is why I am supplementing with resistant starch, the starch in potatoes. It is natural and you can actually grind up a potato in a cuisinart and rinse with warm water and the starch washes to the bottom, but I just buy mine.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-04-2014 at 11:59 AM..
Old 02-04-2014, 01:10 PM   #41
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

From Seth Roberts talk:

He takes one tablespoon of honey before bedtime to improve sleep (I have heard Jaminet he he allows this on his Perfect Health Diet retreat) as well.

Seth eats 1/2 stick of butter per day to improve brain function in two doses, often wrapped in Nori (I love this - minerals and iodine if I recall correctly). He clips his nose so he cannot make the flavor-calorie association with the butter, which he believes keeps the body's fat set point down.

He believes processed food, with precise formulations of flavor to calories, precise exact smell, the brain makes strong flavor associations to the caloric content. After an association is made, you begin to crave foods with that specific flavor profile. The precision of industrial foods is key - the strong flavor and smells aren't powerful enough without this precision.

People who lose their sense of smell often lose a lot of weight.

People gain weight through foods with strong, exact same smell each time the food is eaten (think manufactured food rather than home-cooked food).

Avoiding sickness: Sleep is overwhelmlingly important. Fermented foods may be a factor, variety/diversity important. This is complicated; he believes you need to eat a lot and different types.

Lack of sleep compromises your immune system.

Bad sleep is the silent killer

Poor sleep drives people to seek foods that produce pleasure.

He thinks people are wrong about why sugar is fattening. He says it is because it is in food that smell exactly the same way each time you eat them.

= = =

I wil admit to skimming through this talk - I have heard a lot of his talks before. Still he is very interesting. Seth is all about the biohacking.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-04-2014 at 01:18 PM..
Old 02-04-2014, 05:55 PM   #42
Chatty Cathy

I think much of what you have said here is interesting but may not be applicable to those such as my self who are very carb sensitive and have weight issues. It just doesn't make any sense to consume carbohydrate in a system that has been broken by that thing.

If a person is keto, they are unlikely to be looking for food because they are hungry because keto makes you 'not' hungry. Just think things are different in keto and a lot of this stuff is not framed within a keto woe.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OH, I thought there were 30-50 carbs (without counting carbs in green vegetables) in NK - I'm just going by what my doc said. I still haven't read the Volek book. He did tell me to get the machine, but I haven't made any moves yet.

I realize honey is probably not allowed, but I haven't been sleeping well and thought Seth's comments were interesting. He doesn't recommend eating sugar, he just has a different theory as to why it is fattening, which I think is interesting.

Chris Kresser actually recommends low carb diets for some people, his comments seem to indicate otherwise, but he does recommend using butter plus resistant starch for these people. You don't get calories or carbs from resistant starch - they just feed the good gut bugs that create butyrate in the large intestine and are anti-inflammatory and really good for you. However, if you cook the resistant starch, you "burst" it and it turns into carbohydrates that you can digest. There are tons of posts about it on Free the Animal.

Butter is digested so the butyrate doesn't get down to those critters.

Anyway, I am targeting no more than 50 carbs and am hoping to keep protein down to about 50 as well and am looking for weight loss strategies.

I do see you point - I could post this in the paleo forum instead.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-04-2014 at 07:46 PM..
Old 02-05-2014, 03:54 AM   #44
Chatty Cathy

I hope I haven't discouraged you from posting here K.T.. We all need to consider other ideas and I personally, love the information and the discussion!

For instance I just learned a bit about resistance starch that I didn't know. I had read that it was being used but mostly framed around athletes so I pretty much dismissed it and now I understand the other reasons!! I want to know more!

For the carb level, I think it becomes easier to establish when using a meter. I know for instance that my carb level needs to be no higher than 20g per day. I have had days that I have consumed more with certain high fiber foods and my ketones are lower although not breaking out of ketosis.

AND things change over time. Our bodies are never static.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:09 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, no, I am not discouraged. I probably do need to set up multiple threads for various topics; I am just lazy. I am trying to make my doc's recommendations regarding NK work. He is smart and knows what he is doing. I also know that my mind is not as clear as it used to be, so the low carb Grain Brain approach is facsinating me as well (but Perlmutter doesn't get "paleo" and doesn't think meat/sat. fat is necessary-ugh!).

Ah, yes, the resistant starch. I am hoping that it is going to be the one thing that makes the difference here regarding some drawbacks.

I was discouraged when Jaminet talked about low carb diet causing deterioration of the mucus linings (intestines) and dry eyes (I definitely get this - I am in my glasses right now due to dry eyes). But...

Regarding the intestines, check this out. Apparently, this happens because the bacteria have nothing to eat, so they eat the mucus lining. Send down some resistant starch and give the buggers something to eat besides you.

Google this Kresser talk with Jeff Leach:

RHR: You Are What Your Bacteria Eat: The Importance of Feeding Your Microbiome – With Jeff Leach
Old 02-05-2014, 08:17 AM   #46
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Here are a few bits from Free the Animal. For live links, google Free the Animal, Primer for Newbies:

1.All the posts thus far on RS (about 46 posts, so far).

2.Lots of research here & here.

3.Isolated RS—Like Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch (NOT to be confused with FLOUR)—has zero carbs if taken raw, because you don't digest it, your gut bugs do and if they don't, it passes right through. On average, humans can process about 60g per day. If cooked, it's about 10g carbs per TBS (per the label) of rapid digesting starch. Don't cook it unless you intend to, like for thickening a sauce (see here).

4.Another supplemental source is Plantain Flour. It's sometimes called Plantain Fufu.

5.Here's a long list of foods that contain RS. Some of the highest sources in food is cooked and cooled rice (parboiled is the highest, also lowest GI by far), cooked and cooled beans (prepare by traditional 24hr+ soaking), and cooked and cooled white potatoes. Sweet potatoes have almost no RS. Cooking and cooling forms RS3, a retrograde RS that remains intact when the food is reheated. Fried rice from out of the fridge is ideal for an RS food source.

6.Per number 2, your BG won't rise no matter how much isolated RS you consume (such as the potato starch). Moreover, it will significantly blunt spikes from other foods, a "second meal effect" that persists for hours, even into the next day. Regular consumption lowers both fasting BG and blunts spikes from other foods eaten anytime, so dose timing is unimportant if taken regularly. This blunting is most profound on a normal carb intake. In ketosis, there is little blunting (see here).

7.The benefits most commonly touted are: lowered fasting BG, BG blunting, better sleep, increased energy, well being and calm, mental clarity, vivid dreams, curing of chronic constipation and infrequency, soft stools, satiation with gentle hunger, and increased body temperature (I think I got them all...let me know if I missed any).

8.The problems most commonly reported are: flatulence and headache. Most have reported having flatulence, but for most it diminishes over time. It seems most prominent when taken with food and least when taken in water on an empty stomach. Taken with beans can be a hilarious experience if you're up for it. For some, going periods of 2-3 days now & then without supplementing seems to help get beyond it. Headaches have only been reported by a handful of people. One or two reported intestinal distress, but I chalk that up to oversensitivity to flatulence.

9.Most of the studies use 30g of potato starch, which is 4 tablespoons. Above 60g will probably pass on through. Many have begun with 1TBS per day, and increased up to 4 each week. However, dose, frequency, how it's administered (with food, kefir, yogurt—cool or warm—or just water by itself) is something each person has to experiment and figure out for themselves.

10.In general, even targeting RS foods will probably at best yield 10g of RS daily. Thus, supplementation is a good idea to get into the 20-30g range which, as stated, is what so many studies have used to document many of the benefits we've been touting. Paleoman had a far wider variety of high RS foods that just isn't in our diets commonly (cattail and tree pollen, anyone?).
Old 02-05-2014, 08:20 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you try it, be sure to start with a SMALL amount. Chris Kresser said one of his patients had to just dip a chopstick in and work up from there because he/she was writhing in the floor in pain.

I blew myself up with the initial does of 2 tablespoons 2x per day. I could only handle about 1 1/2 teaspoons and am working on 2 teaspoons per day. I asked Chris how to work up when he was on the book tour. He said it is totally individual and to go slowly and test tolerance on yourself working up slowly.

This is serious help for the low carb dieter, I am sure of it.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #48
Chatty Cathy

Thank you! I am going to do a bit of reading but you have given me a fantastic start point.

Did you notice any gut differences when eating the potato hack woe?
Old 02-05-2014, 04:02 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're welcome!

RE: Potato hack - I did not do the cooling to get the resistant starch (RS). It absolutely does not need any RS manipulation or supplementation to work and cooling makes the hack unpalatable. Cold potatoes, they are crazy. Tatertot touts this as a reason the potato hack works, but I don't believe it, not at all. I think the potato hack works mostly on the principals Stephan Guyenet and Seth Roberts describe (lack of variety, serious decrease in palatability and food reward, flavorless, monotonous, etc.).

I think the best use for RS is to improve gut health and the benefit is for people that are not eating the veg/starches that give you the RS, such as people on a low carb diet as Chris Kresser recommends.

RE: RS on digestion....yes, I can report the same results on Free the Animal. Gas unless you cut the dose back to tolerance (and please be careful, you have been so low carb for so long you might have a vile reaction) then work up.

People talk about their BMs on Free the Animal. I found the same thing. It is a great improvement, and I will not describe because of the TMI factor. Your time in the restroom will be reduced!

Other effects - dreams. If you don't mind dreams, then you might enjoy this part. There definitely is incredible, vivid dreaming as a side effect. You might find yourself sleeping longer. Why all of this, I don't know, it is weird.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-05-2014 at 04:04 PM..
Old 02-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think low carbers should try RS for the problems you hear member saying to use magnesium pills for. Magnesium is important too, but RS will totally solve the issue.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:27 PM   #51
Chatty Cathy

I was wondering if glucomannan powder falls into the category of resistant starch and can't seem to find a clear cut answer.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:44 PM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
Cathy, I believe the answer is yes. There have probably been more studies on that substance than......
A site called nutra ingredients (or something like that had some helpful info).

I know what you mean about not finding anything definitive but it does at least the same thing as other RS.....sometimes better.

I have gluc and will start using it medicinally. I saw one woman's response starting at 1/2 tsp TID then increased to 1 tsp....mixed with 8 oz water.

I am going to try it.

I also have oat fiber and have been trying to use it more....I don't know if it falls into the RS category at all but is easy on the gut and only requires small amt.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:22 PM   #53
Chatty Cathy

Thanks Jem. I came across some studies but it still seemed ambiguous somehow.

I use gluc powder fairly regularly but never more tha a tsp in a day. I also use shiratak noodles made of only gluc powder but not sure how that would figure in.....
Old 02-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #54
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hmm, they sound like they have similar effects. I can tell you, though, that the potato starch does not expand or turn into a gel in water. It is definitely a different substance.

I found it for cheap (unlike all the whining about it on Free the Animal about Amazon) on a vitamin site - just $3.39 for a 24 ounce bag (how can you beat that for a supplement???) and ordered some Kitchen Basics chicken broth (best commercial broth ever, no sugar, no MSG, no gluten - also learned about that on Free the Animal - super convenient for carting to work). I do make plenty of my own bone broth, but I am starting to have a big bowl every meal and can't keep up; it seems to be ramping down my eating seriously. I finally figured out what type of bones I like to use.

Bob's Red Mill potato starch is supposed to be the brand to look for. Apparently, the Free the Animal blog set off a run on the stuff and the Amazon price soared.

Oo, I am so happy. I bought some bacon on sale at QFC and put it in a cake pan in the oven and covered with foil. It took 1 1/2 hours at 400 to cook up. I'm saving it all (put it right in the fridge as is). This is my salad dressing for a ton of spinach I am planning to wilt on the stove. I am finding I can't get my greens in without making them tasty. Mostly I am eating vegetables in broth (with a little vinegar and tabasco, think hot and sour soup, sorta). I am going to have faith that if I truly hold my protein down and keep carbs in check that this whole thing will work if I get in enough greens/veg, and resistant starch, that something super tasty like spinach salad with bacon won't make me freak and eat all the bacon. So far, I feel in control. I bought only one package of bacon, just in case.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-05-2014 at 10:14 PM..
Old 02-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #55
Chatty Cathy

Sounds great.... I may have to put spinach salad on my menu for the weekend!

I wonder what people were using potato starch for before it was known for it's supplement attributes?
Old 02-06-2014, 09:01 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm guessing same as corn starch, but I'm not sure.

I had the sleep problem again last night. I woke at 2:15 am and now I am hungry. Usually, no breakfast other than MCT oil works great. The lack of sleep seriously impacts hunger. I just had some unsalted butter in coffee and will see if I can make do with that.

My weight is seriously up. I hadn't weighed for a while. I guess it is all the salt and some unforunate incidents with low carb chocolate bars (I have no control with these things - will have to stick to regular dark chocolate), but I am back where I started. I'm going to ignore this for three weeks, since I understand it is supposed to take three weeks to adapt to this diet.

I have to survive the weekend. I hope no one brings me a cake. Social stuff going on...
Old 02-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I plugged my food into an online tracker. I spotted it - I had been ignoring the broth, but it seems to have protein. I suspect the home made broth has more than I think it does. I am guessing I am getting maybe 20 to 25 grams of protein I wasn't counting.

I can't give that up, so I am nixing the meat and adding more egg yolks.

Wow, moderating protein isn't easy business...

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-06-2014 at 10:55 AM..
Old 02-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A Well-Designed Low Carb NK

I need some quick help but the book is daunting...if anyone has pages marked, please let me know. I do have the Volek book.

In the meantime, I looked up a youtube video with Volek and Phinney. Here is what I picked out over my lunch today. I left out the exercise and cholesterol and other stuff; I am mostly trying to get the diet dialed in.

= = = =

Volek and Phinney

Key to finding most appropriate diet – key is finding what level of carbohydrate tolerance you have. Varies by person; no one perfect diet. Some do well on high carb, Ornish or typical American diet, others may do poorly. People who have insulin resistance, metabolic syndrome, type II diabetes, do much better on a low carbohydrate diet. Insulin resistance = carbohydrate intolerance.

From an evolutionary perspective, we are hard-wired to respond to a low-carbohydrate diet if follow for more than a few weeks.

Generally, keto adaptation, under 50 grams per day. If very insulin resistant, have to be under 25 to allow to get into a fat-for-fuel mode.

When I (Steve) turned 50, only way to get weight and blood pressure under control, I (Steve) stay under 50 grams.

When keto-adapting, your kidneys dump salt, the tone of blood vessels change, this is why blood pressure goes down. Dumping of water lowers blood pressure. A high fat meal before keto-adapting will show detrimental effects. This goes away after keto-adapting.

There is a minimum amount of salt that is required to avoid light-headedness, dizziness, headache, fatigue, and constipation. We encourage 1-2 cups of moderately-salted broth per day, I encourage your own for better nutrition. You need to maintain a salt and water, a fluid balance to avoid these complications.

A well-forumlated low carbohydrate: we recommend people eat a lot of vegetables and a modest amount of low-sugar fruits to get a range of micronutrients, vitamins, and minerals. and potassium for muscle function. If you do this, you don’t need a lot of supplements. Typically, we recommend the low-starch vegetables, avoiding higher-carb vegetables that would knock you out of ketosis. Salad vegetables, the more colorful vegetables. Most vegetables contain a fair amount of fiber so these have a minimal impact on blood sugar and insulin response and tend to be compatible with maintaining a state of ketosis. Adequate potassium intake for muscle function and cellular function.

Impact of exercise on weight loss is highly variable and individual, based on genetics.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #59
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oops, I meant to make this a new thread. I just moved it....
Old 02-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh my gosh, I just applied the recommendations from the Volek/Phinney youtube video to eat greens. I ate 1,216 calories today, with the intention of eating more, but I don't have the appetite for it, so this is it...

I can feel it; this is going to work!

B:

MCT oil 1 teaspoon
2 cups of coffee with 1 tablespoon of butter each (rough morning)

Tired and fading fast, so had 1 chocoperfection bar (I know, this is high reward; after tomorrow, I will be out of the large bars)

L (interrupted, so in two parts):

strawberries (a small frozen bag)
1 small kitchen basics chicken broth
part of a small bag of frozen broccoli (tossed into the broth)
1 small avocado

D:
wilted a bunch of lettuce, which looked enormous but cooked down to not much of anything:
1 cup spinach
1 cup arugala
2 large red lettuce leaves
...in the oven with 1 tablespoon of bacon grease and 1 thick strip of bacon crumbled over (will do it in a wok when I get one)

Oh my GOSH that was so good - the red lettuce crisped up in places; I'll have to figure out how I did that...

mushrooms and another bunch of spinach into homemade beef broth (not very good) added plenty of tabasco and vinegar for "hot and sour" soup to get it down.

I'm done.

This came out to 42 grams of protein (I think it was really higher since I don't know what to put in the tracker about the little bits of meat in the homemade soup). Throwing out fiber and ignoring carbs from greens, about 35 carbs (mostly from the strawberries), and 85 grams of fat.

I still need to stretch the flavorless am window (I caved due to lack of sleep last night).

I like the chicken broth, but the home made bone broth is just gross. I don't like it; never have, but I believe in the need for the nutrition.

Crossing my fingers for a good fasting glucose number in the morning. I had a good number after the strawberries - one hour after eating them, only 118, but I did have a lot of fat before that (the rest of my lunch I had to eat a few hours later).

My online tracker says I am low in vitamin d and b12, so I am off to take those with 2 teaspoons of the resistant starch in a glass of water.

I am just really, really surprised that I am not hungry. Really, not hungry at all. Less meat really made a difference today. I was going to have some egg yolks but no go tonight.

Last edited by Key Tones; 02-06-2014 at 09:33 PM..