Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: hatemybmi
thyroid and ketogenic diet

I am a few days into my ketogenic diet and 197.5. I don't have a thyroid problem, but I am wondering will this type of diet plan have a bad effect on my thyroid or cause permanent damage? I'm just concerned because I slept at 9:30 last night and woke up at 8 in the morning, still feeling tired. I hope going ketogenic will help with my fatigue.

Is there anything I should be eating to avoid thryoid problems? My diet protein mostly consists of eggs and chicken. What do you ladies supplement your diet to avoid thyroid problems?

For some reason, no major "weight" loss yet. I started at around 201 and still at 197. The only way I went down to 195.5 was when I ate 975 calories and ate chicken and kept my carbs around 30ish.

Another question I am wanting to eat at 1200 calories or maybe even 1000-1100, but will my body go into "starvation mode" if I do that? I have 70 lbs to spare, but will eating that low amount halt my weight loss?

Does one have to eat organic virgin coconut oil or can it be non organic coconut oil?

Thanks
hatemybmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finallylosing
Stats: 206/135/I think I've reached it!
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2012
Welcome! Try to be a bit patient! I know, easier said then done.
My first few weeks of changing my diet, I was exhausted. I slept so much my husband was starting to worry. Then, almost overnight, I got my energy back and felt fantastic. I think it's just the bodies way of repairing the damage.
I don't take any special supplements, just vit do, magnesium and b complex. I have had issues with my thyroid and have been doing this for over a year and a half.
The weight will come off if you stick with it. Mine didn't come off quick at all in the beginning and then picked up and then slowed down again. Try to ignore the scale number and focus on how well you feel. You will notice the differences shortly.
Good luck!
finallylosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:29 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Oh, and don't worry so much about calories right now, just eat until you are satisfied. If you are sticking to whole, low carb foods, your body will know when to stop.
As far as the coconut oil, I just buy what the store has as long as it doesn't taste like coconut - I hate coconut!
Old 01-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

inspiring :)

finally losing,

it is very inspiring to see your post because we have almost identical starting weights/ending weights. I will try not to pay attention to the scale anymore as my clothes feel much more lose.

May I please ask how old you are (sorry for being nosy)?

Do you think you could have lost that much weight on another plan like atkins or slow carb or such? Or what other diet plans have you tried before sticking to ketoing?

One more question regarding peeing: When will this "going to the bathroom to pee every time I finish a bottle of water" feeling go away? IT seems like I have to pee at least 5 times a day. How many more days will this go on?

Thanks
Ps I eat no more "food" containing any flour, no wheat, nothing. I eat my cream cheese with just a spoon

Last edited by hatemybmi; 01-17-2014 at 02:04 PM..
Old 01-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

You aren't being nosy!! I am 43 and have been overweight the majority of my life. Did WW years ago, like in my teens and did get to 112lbs but then slowly gained it back plus more over the years. I think I tried every diet and when I found out I had diabetes I told myself, this is it, I'm killing myself! I started reading Bernstein the next day and have never looked back. I honestly love eating this way. I have upped my fat a bit from what Bernstein says but I have stuck to his basic principals.
I found at the beginning I peed all the time and I still find if I have a very low carb day that I will pee a lot the next day. I do still get up once a night most times.
And I love cream cheese too! Sometimes I add some peanut butter to it.
Oh, and in my first post it should have said, I HAVEN'T had issues with my thyroid!

Last edited by finallylosing; 01-17-2014 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: Correcting
Old 01-17-2014, 06:09 PM   #6
Junior LCF Member

thank you

thanks for clarifying for me. how many grams of protein did you used to eat when you were in the 190's/180's/170's? I currently have 70 grams of protein. I am going to buy coconut oil/coconut manna to incorporate it into my food inventory. I have heard it makes you fuller, so really would like to try it and hopefully cut down my dairy intake as I could easily eat 4 oz of cream cheese (but I don't ). I also heard it increases our metabolism.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:04 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
hatemybmi, when you're on a low-carb diet, your kidneys operate more efficiently and that's why you have to pee all the time. You would probably do well to add a cup of broth to your daily intake - the extra salt would counter the fatigue you're feeling. Fatigue is really common in the first few weeks on a ketogenic diet, but it will pass.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
Junior LCF Member

Re: Suggestions

Very helpful information ladies. Since I am eating under my bmr (1300ish) I will do a high calorie day once per week. Will be buying some vegetable broth too. Hopefully it will pass without too much trouble.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:31 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemybmi View Post
thanks for clarifying for me. how many grams of protein did you used to eat when you were in the 190's/180's/170's? I currently have 70 grams of protein. I am going to buy coconut oil/coconut manna to incorporate it into my food inventory. I have heard it makes you fuller, so really would like to try it and hopefully cut down my dairy intake as I could easily eat 4 oz of cream cheese (but I don't ). I also heard it increases our metabolism.
I have to admit when i started this I only counted carbs so I really have no idea how much protein I had. I know now I eat between 60 - 70 grams a day.
I eat coconut oil every morning by frying my eggs in it. I have taken it by the spoonful a few times but find when I eat it alone I get a bit jittery and then really hungry!
How are things going for you so far?