Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Shifting (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/820444-shifting.html)

#nolongeraddicted 01-06-2014 09:43 PM

Shifting

So I just finished reading The Shift by Tory Johnson. Very inspiring.

clackley 01-07-2014 05:43 AM

I have not read it. What is the stand out message?

#nolongeraddicted 01-07-2014 06:18 AM

She did say she was on a low carb diet. She basically did the exact diet I do. But I liked how she showed the mental side of changing our diet for the long haul. I have several family members who opted for Gastric bypass surgery. It worked, of course. However they did not address the reason for their overeating or the emotional side of the problem. I have watched all of them struggle with gaining their weight back. I'm not saying all gastric bypass patients gain their weight back. But if we don't address our reasons why we are in the weight predicament we are in, then it's bound to come back on us. She talks about the mental shift we have to make in order to succeed long term.

clackley 01-07-2014 07:33 AM

I see. Thanks for the summary.

I don't buy into the 'psychological aspects' of weight aside that it is hard to be judged by a society that does. But I do know that others do (more so than not) and I respect their need to do so.

unna 01-07-2014 08:53 AM

I also haven't read the book. But just by doing a quick search of the author, I'm not sure if I really like her story because:

1. She "decided" to lose weight after someone told her to (some big-wig producer), which shows somewhat of a weak character. So, it seems kind of ironic that someone with a weak character is supposed to teach me how to have a strong character.

2. Her weight loss is only 18 months old. I typically only like to take advice from people who have maintained a significant weight loss for at least 5 years (10 years is better!).

But beside that, #nolongeraddicted, I also find thinking about the psychological aspect of weight loss very intriguing. You should share with us any points you found in her book that seem to help you!

unna 01-07-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16745750)
I don't buy into the 'psychological aspects' of weight

What do you mean?

I assume you mean that you believe something similar to Taubes, namely, that our weight problems are caused by our carb-sugar-heavy diets - not by emotional problems.

If I had no knowledge of psychoanalysis, I think I would be of the same opinion. But I find the relation between mother and child is extremely influential in our adult lives. And in the center of the mother-child relation is food (the mother's breast). If this relationship is compromised, it can lead to substance abuse. The substance could be drugs, or it could be food.

#nolongeraddicted 01-07-2014 09:47 AM

But beside that, #nolongeraddicted, I also find thinking about the psychological aspect of weight loss very intriguing. You should share with us any points you found in her book that seem to help you![/QUOTE]

I liked these points:

"What I put in my head is more important than my mouth".
"Losing weight is not about being good, it's about being good to myself".
"Find what inspires you, and use it".
"Clarity trumps willpower".
"Priorty over preference".- when it comes to food choices.

#nolongeraddicted 01-07-2014 09:55 AM

Clackly, I suppose some people don't find food to be used as comfort. And there are some out there who are not addicted, but are obese. But I speak from my own experience. I was a food addict, and an overeater for the simple fact that sugar gave me comfort when I was stressed, angry, sad..... I had to get my MIND right before I could ever be successful in anything, including weight loss. I'm sorry, but that sounds psychological to me.

#nolongeraddicted 01-07-2014 10:01 AM

Clackly, I suppose some people don't find food to be used as comfort. And there are some out there who are not addicted, but are obese. But I speak from my own experience. I was a food addict, and an overeater for the simple fact that sugar gave me comfort when I was stressed, angry, sad..... I had to get my MIND right before I could ever be successful in anything, including weight loss. I'm sorry, but that sounds psychological to me.

clackley 01-07-2014 01:58 PM

I hope I have not offended by making the comment that I did. I am not new to the idea of psychology and it's interplay with food. I have been around the block on that one many times and am speaking about what I think and that is because of my experiences and research. I am not discounting others thoughts on this except to say that there is a whole different way of looking at this.

It is a complicated subject with as many variables as there are physiological.

I can only say that I spent years (some in therapy) in part because I didn't have what it took to lose the weight and continued to gain. I felt there was something wrong with my psyche. What else could it be?

I found that by going low carb these 'issues' corrected themselves without the help of talk therapy or drugs. I no longer have the self loathing and other destructive patterns. My chronic, long term clinical depression has evaporated. My ability to reason, concentrate, deal with stressful situations and many other functions of the brain or psychological functions have improved 100 fold and I didn't do anything except change what I was eating and give it some thought.

Again, this is my experience and I am not discounting others whose experiences are different.

#nolongeraddicted 01-07-2014 07:32 PM

One thing I do have to agree on, Clackley, is the mental improvement in low carb. I worked for a retired psychologist once for two years. He said depressed and even bipolar diagnosis had been turned around sometimes even with just changing a patient's diet from sugar. And I know from my experience low carb eating breaks addiction to food. This my name #nolongeraddicted. Now I get what you meant.:)

luckymuma 01-07-2014 08:00 PM

I find the psychology or not weight issue very interesting. I know for me personally 90% of my issues relating to being over weight are entirely caused by emotionality. My issue was mainly over eating due to un resolved emotional things. I also have Aspergers, so social things cause me huge anxiety, changes to my routine cause me great anxiety, high emotions cause shut down and anxiety.....my way of dealing with the anxiety in my life is to eat...add to that my food of choice was sugary foods...and you get a sugar addiction. This time round I've done some nice hypnotherapy CDs. They are really mellow, not about weight loss per se, but about food and emotions and body strength and nourishing your body. I did them for six months before I started low carbing....and the change has been dramatic for me. I still get anxiety from social situations, but I no longer have n overwhelming desire to stuff myself to cope with that anxiety. There are still many issues that come up for me that trigger an over eating response....my mother as an example...intense block time with my partner being home......and I still need to deal with that.....

My partner however was only a little over weight when she went lower carb...for her the issues were maybe 5% emotional trigger, and 95% poor food choices and bad diet ( and the joke is we ate a largely wholefood diet!). She is easily able to identify and curb emotional food triggers of stress...where as I had no idea.