Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: susan41
Stats: 243/202/?
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 4th 2013 sugar first, then LC august 25th
Learning to measure

As most who have followed a LC plan for any length of time, you learn how to count carbs from memory after awhile, and I'm assuming most that count calories can count them on approx basis as well after time and experience.

My question is how many here measure their protein and how, eyeball it or gram scale? And also can you give me some approx examples, like.... A 8oz ribeye or a 6oz chicken breast etc?

I don't track, and I know I need to. But was wondering these things and how did you get to the point where you didn't have to religiously track.

Thanks
susan41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunny_1
Stats: 180/170.2/150
Start Date: December 22, 2013
Susan, i'm not sure if you are asking what size meat portions do I eat, or how many grams are in a serving of meat.

Here's a quick reference to protein grams in food:

Quote:
Here are examples of amounts of protein in food:

1 cup of milk has 8 grams of protein
A 3-ounce piece of meat has about 21 grams of protein
1 cup of dry beans has about 16 grams of protein
An 8-ounce container of yogurt has about 11 grams of protein

Added together, just these four sources would meet the protein needs of an adult male (56 grams). This doesn't count all the other foods that add smaller amounts of protein to his diet.

Nutrition for Everyone: Basics: Protein | DNPAO | CDC
The only time I measure my meat portions is at dinner... and then just to get an idea if my portion is closer to 3-1/2 or 5 ounces. Some day I will probably be better at eyeballing them.

On edit - I am not sure that I agree with that site's conclusion that an adult male only needs 56 grams of protein a day. Will have to do a little more research.

Last edited by Sunny_1; 01-02-2014 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Qualifier
Sunny_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:21 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Another way is to look a portion sizes such as a playing card or a small palm size.
Of course that doesn't count for thickness, but it's rule of thumb.
1 ounce of most meats is 7 grams, which is basically what sunny has said. Another rule of thumb.
One thing I've started doing is dividing my meat servings based on the weight of the package into portions. It saves time and is easier than using the scale. I buy my bacon in 12 ounce frozen packages direct from a farm. I slice off smaller portions from the end. Even when frozen bacon is easy to cut. I'll usually cut it into 6 or so portions, and freeze those. Easy to just pop into the fry pan and I know I am getting a reasonably small serving.
Of late I have been buying fresh pork sausage or hamburger or thin pork chops. The weight is variable, so I just divide into a number of small portions and freeze what I won't eat in a few days time. I eye ball rather than weigh, but I have a good idea when I am getting to around a 2 or 3 ounce serving.

That old standby, a large egg rings in at about 6 grams of protein.

56 grams sounds more in the female than male range . . . . but like most things it likely "depends."

Last edited by Patience; 01-03-2014 at 06:25 AM..
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Susan, I am not a daily tracker. It's probably a good thing to do, but that said, I don't.
I do know my carb consumption and I'm mindful of protein totals, but I never enter stuff into a tracker to figure out my ratios. I jot down days when I am pretty sure I go over my carb limit and when I break my no alcohol rule. That keeps me to a certain level of self honesty. I was stalled in Oct/Nov but looking back I know there was one weekend when I surely knocked myself out of ketosis (but I don't measure that either).
But sticking to plan in December, I lost two pounds. Slow, but it works when I stay on plan.

I also measure the fat I put into my coffee by measuring tablespoons or 1/2 tablespoons. I remember Avid's story about how he lost the last bit of his weight when he realized he was consuming way too much HWC. It's easy to do without measuring.

Last edited by Patience; 01-03-2014 at 06:32 AM..
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:56 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
For me I own a EatSmart Precision scale for weighing food.
It is so much worth its money.
I place the bowl,tare it,add protein,tare it and add whatever I want to.
Very quick and it has different measurement units too.

I also find it extremely useful for cooking complicated recipes bcoz it has the tare function.

I don't see the weighing as a nuisance anymore,whereas my previous scale (analog) was too bothersome,no tare and the bowl was small,not microwave safe etc so I always had to use many things just to weigh food.You can use different bowls of your own on this one.Over time,you get an idea and can eyeball.
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I weigh every bit of protein with the exception of eggs. I use an on line food tracker and calories are just another bit of information that I try to ignore mostly.

I agree that a good food scale makes things so much easier.

Last edited by clackley; 01-03-2014 at 07:30 AM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks y'all, you've answered my questions. Sorry some of it wasn't clear... The main thing I was wondering was if you are doing moderate protein do you track/weigh it to learn it. Then carry on with weighing on new unknown items as you add them into your woe until learned.

My reasoning is I am fairly sure my protein is too high while doing LC and contributing to my stall among many other issues (depo, alcohol, sweetners, sodium, alcohol, not actively tracking) and one that I could work on getting better at.

I used to own a food scale years ago.. I cheapo dollar store one that I used when I very first attempted LC and i remember it being a real eye opener on portion sizes. I've since lost it in several moves and I believe I need to revisit the practice of weighing.

That's again y'all!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:28 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
When I first began moderating my protein, there was definitely a learning curve. I am more than 1 1/5 yrs. into it and I still need to look up stuff but am much better at having a general idea. Another thing that really helped was entering recipes into my food tracker. It was a real pain in the butt at first but now I have it all there and use that info all the time.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Tracking is tough for me, mental block or something about it. And I know it's one of the keys I am going to have to use to get back to losing. Know it as good as my name is Susan. I just hate it lol! I track every single thing at my job. Every cup, every bar rag, mixer, straw, cherry, olive, glassware, every oz of liquor, pens, rolls of receipt paper, every beer... Down to every last ounce in a keg. I am good at it too. You name it as a purchased item or product and it's tracked.

I just hate having to do it in my personal life. I enjoyed the freedom of LC and not having to track anything but carbs. But.... I also know that without getting serious about some aspects of my plan I will continue to maintain the weight I am at and have been at. I don't like calling it a stall, because it isn't. It's my above mentioned issues that are keeping me at this weight and health level.

Such is life, so I'm trying to work myself up to committing to making some changes for the issues.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:47 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Planelman
Stats: 350.1/206.4/190(10%BF) 6' 44
WOE: Leangains/Carb Backloading
Start Date: 7/14/2011
While I have no problem tracking every day, I do like to just know that something fits my macros without too much trouble. Making a weeks worth of lunches/dinners all at the same time helps with this. I enter it once into my app a recipe and set the portions and divide it by that many meals. Then I can just grab it and go without having to track anything. Really helps during a busy work week.
Planelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #11
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan41 View Post
Tracking is tough for me, mental block or something about it. And I know it's one of the keys I am going to have to use to get back to losing. Know it as good as my name is Susan. I just hate it lol! I track every single thing at my job. Every cup, every bar rag, mixer, straw, cherry, olive, glassware, every oz of liquor, pens, rolls of receipt paper, every beer... Down to every last ounce in a keg. I am good at it too. You name it as a purchased item or product and it's tracked.

I just hate having to do it in my personal life. I enjoyed the freedom of LC and not having to track anything but carbs. But.... I also know that without getting serious about some aspects of my plan I will continue to maintain the weight I am at and have been at. I don't like calling it a stall, because it isn't. It's my above mentioned issues that are keeping me at this weight and health level.

Such is life, so I'm trying to work myself up to committing to making some changes for the issues.
Susan, maybe if you look at tracking a different way it will help you. I know I don't respond well to things I "have to do" either.

I don't really "need" to weigh/measure and track everything BUT I do. I want to because seeing the numbers gives me information about my body. All those numbers tell me what is working, what isn't, etc. If I wonder 6 month down the road why I'm not losing & what was I eating when I was losing great, I'll have that info. My life is a series of well-documented N=1 experiments.

Also, consider the fact that tracking right now is a learning experience. That is really what it is. Once you know the amounts that work for you just stick with them. Stop tracking, if you want, once you can recognize the amounts.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote