Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
10 things to know about losing weight

Has anyone been watching this series on PBS? I think it is UK orginated. IF there is a thread about this somewhere just point me in that direction.

I didn't catch the entire show, but I was struck by the woman who couldn't lose weight and it was concluded that she under recorded by half what she ate. It also claimed (I recall) that most people do this. I suppose there are studies. One of several things that irritated me was that this woman was eating a large fruit salad everyday for breakfast; the recommendation was that she eat a smaller fruit salad for breakfast. Not a suggestion that there might be something other than fruit that she could have for breakfast.

Anyone catch the entire show or series?

Last edited by Patience; 01-01-2014 at 09:51 AM..
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Eating fruit for breakfast would just kill me. I'd be craving food like a madman the entire day.

What are the "tips"?
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

I didn't catch all of them, I was flipping channels and was a bit turned off by the big bowl of fruit for breakfast. She woman thought she had a slow metabolism but they did some sort of test to show she didn't, that she just didn't track all that she ate.

One was eating soup, it fills our stomach with volume.
Another was eating protein.
I could google for the others, but hoping someone would chime in here.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:50 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

You cannot "fool" your body with volume. This only works for a very short period of time. Your body will quickly learn and incite you to eat, eat, and eat, until you get the amount of calories it desires. Taubes referenced many studies done to prove that the "volume" idea is flawed.

I did see that the documentary is on youtube. I didn't watch it all, but there was a section where they were discussing the findings of some danish researchers:

- calcium in dairy binds to fat, causing you to excrete the fat instead of absorb it

So, the documentary then concluded (along with those silly researchers) that humans must simply eat a load of low-fat dairy products, because this will cause the human to simply excrete all the fat, which should in turn lead to weight loss (in principle like the Alli, I guess, but without the diarrhea).

It is interesting to know that calcium binds to fat and blocks its absorption, but the conclusions they draw are absurd.

I would guess that their test subject, the partying, aging DJ, is still in the same overweight predicament.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think I saw this a while back and agree that it is flawed. Always interesting to see what the media thinks is true. Again, critical thinking is important.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:56 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I saw a repeat of this. Another tip was use a smaller plate.

Yes, Unna, I was also miffed a bit about the low-fat emphasis in the dairy recommendation.

I usually expect better from public television offerings; this one was disappointing.

Last edited by Patience; 01-04-2014 at 06:59 AM..
Old 01-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by unna View Post
You cannot "fool" your body with volume. This only works for a very short period of time. Your body will quickly learn and incite you to eat, eat, and eat, until you get the amount of calories it desires. Taubes referenced many studies done to prove that the "volume" idea is flawed.
I haven't seen the video at all, but I wanted to add the the body will not drive you to eat not only to get the calories it needs, it will drive you to eat until it gets the nutrients it needs. I believe when we eat nutrient-poor foods we will be compelled to eat more and more in an attempt to nourish ourselves. For some, the nutrients never come.

I have been listening to In Defense of Food on audiobook and the author talks about a clinic in Oakland treating obese children for nutritionally-based diseases like rickets. I watch a lot of kids eat, and I absolutely believe it.
Old 01-05-2014, 12:20 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gina, I completely agree.

In fact, I have a first hand experience. I gained a massive amount of weight when I was a child right after we moved from the country to the city. I'm not blaming my mother, but this can be contributed to the change in her behavior.

In the country, our food consisted of what grew in our garden, the neighbor's garden, and we butchered one cow for the family and kept it in the deep freezer (lasted quite awhile). We never had sweets except for fruit or homemade jelly. We did have simple things like oatmeal, but I don't remember eating it often because I've never been a breakfast person. We ate more potatoes than bread. Pictures of me from back then show that I was active, had a pretty tan skin color, and a normal fat percentage.

Then we moved into town and everything changed because we moved close to an Aldi. My mother basically rejoiced in her new freedom and stopped cooking. She bought chips and sugary treats and soda. We ate tv dinners often. We ate tons of sandwiches on fluffy, white bread. I remember that is specifically when my weight problems started. I specifically remember (even so many years ago) a scene where I couldn't get the full feeling. I just kept making and eating grilled cheese sandwiches until there was no more bread.

Anyway, everyone blamed my extreme weight gain on how I "didn't go outside as much as I used to". So, I was taken to Weight Watchers and those women tried to "treat me" with more processed foods - those frozen meals which were very popular at the time.

Finally, I broke out in hives all over my body. My mom took me to the doctor and he said "STOP feeding her that terrible food!". I remember him having a somewhat aggressive tone. He sent us to a dietition, but that didn't help too much because I was too young to comprehend how to use an "exchange program" on my own. And the exchange program was based on low-cal, low-fat principles, so I was still hungry.

I think I am genetically carb-sensitve, and have a preference for fat and meat. But I think I could have healthily managed it on a more natural diet which included potatoes and fruit. But then I think something inside me literally "broke" after moving.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #9
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Thank you for sharing your story Unna. It is a perfect illustration of what has gone wrong with our collective diet.

Did anyone else in the family develop health problems when you moved to town? I sometimes think those of us that become overweight on a poor diet are the lucky ones- we have an obvious symptom to show us we need to change what we are doing. I have a BIL that was just diagnosed with diabetes. For years everyone liked to say how "lucky" he was because he could eat anything and never gain an ounce. Well, apparently he couldn't eat whatever he wanted and keep his health.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
GME, I am sorry about your bil's diagnosis. I do belief though that he has what is becoming known as 'skinny fat'. If he were to have an MRI or other imaging of his internal organs, he might have fat surrounding his organs which, of course is recognized as the very damaging kind. So on the outside he looks fine but on the inside...not so much.

In a way, we who gain weight have a bit of a 'heads up' on the fact that our health is not the best and as a result have a chance to do something about it.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:38 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GME View Post

Did anyone else in the family develop health problems when you moved to town? I sometimes think those of us that become overweight on a poor diet are the lucky ones- we have an obvious symptom to show us we need to change what we are doing. I have a BIL that was just diagnosed with diabetes. For years everyone liked to say how "lucky" he was because he could eat anything and never gain an ounce. Well, apparently he couldn't eat whatever he wanted and keep his health.

I agree.

Right after we moved my sister stopped gymnastics and developed an eating disorder verging on anorexia. I remember her only eating a few bowls of brown, fiber cereal everyday. Nowadays, she is no longer anorexic, but is overweight and recently had her gallbladder out. She also has a big problem with acid reflux. She carries all her weight in her stomach, which isn't good. But she still has muscular arms and legs from gymnastics.

My mom became a yo-yo weight watchers addict, which also began when we moved. My mom has also had her gallbladder out, is pre-diabetic, has glaucoma, and diverticulitis. (She also has multiple sclerosis, which actually "showed up" right after I was born. She doesn't really walk much anymore. She never worked on building muscle, only on losing weight, thus losing muscle - which is unfortunate... but no doctor or therapist advised her otherwise.)

My dad started to develop bad IBS right after the move. He had always had a sensitive stomach, but this is where I have memories of him constantly needing a bathroom. Then he was on the brink of a heart attack at 57 and had open heart surgery. He now has diabetes II and of course his heart is still in bad shape.

They all absolutely love white food - all sugar, anything fried, fast food, restaurant food. I'm the only one that decided I needed to break away. In the beginning, I didn't know what kinds of foods I needed to eat the remain a normal weight, so I just put myself through bouts of starvation. But this only works in the beginning.

Anyway, I feel like I am currently undoing 20 years of malnutrition. It is hard to see my family very sick, but they don't want to change things. They think Atkins is unhealthy because of what other people have told them. Ultimately, they are all extremely addicted to bad food.

My family has such a terrible history of health! To be honest, I'm trying to maintain my health as I age (I'll be 32), but I just don't know if it is even possible.