Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Dave asprey bulletproof RFLP (rapid fat loss protocol)...anyone tried it? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/819803-dave-asprey-bulletproof-rflp-rapid-fat-loss-protocol-anyone-tried.html)

Green 12-31-2013 06:31 AM

Dave asprey bulletproof RFLP (rapid fat loss protocol)...anyone tried it?
 
Has anyone tried this?
It's basically just eating BPC until 2pm and then butter in the evening until satiety (with many supplements) with a starchy vegetable refeed on the 6th or 7th day. To be repeated until desired results are achieved.

Just wondering if anyone has tried it. Sounds like a type of fat fast.

clackley 12-31-2013 07:50 AM

I have not read Dave Asprey but heard him speak about this. He said that one day a week, to reduce protein to 15g and raise carbs (he didn't say how much or how). His claim was that the 'weight would just fall off'.

I was intrigued by this and have done 4 wks and am approaching the 5th round. I do not raise carbs at all (too sensitive) but I have managed to keep my protein between 15 to 19g. It is a fat fast without the attention to calories basically and more attention to protein.

My results are good so far. I am an extremely slow loser (barely perceptible without a long record of weighing). I would say that I have seen some positive results. Probably those that don't have the issues that I have, might do well.

I don't know if this is what you are talking about but thought I might share what I have done with his advice. One other thing that is undeniable is that this one day of low protein/high fat clearly raises my blood ketones levels significantly. I usually measure (fasting morning) around 1 to 1.6 or so and with this protocol, I am getting as high as 2.7mm.

MerryKate 01-01-2014 01:31 AM

I may give a try to your version of this, Cathy. I've been doing IF, eating only between noon and 8 p.m., but if the low-protein day would help spur weight loss I'm all for it. Like you, I don't dare add extra carbs in - I screwed up my system in October by attempting a carb nite once a week.

unna 01-01-2014 02:58 AM

While I love butter, I have no desire to eat it plain until satiety. I also have no desire to just eat spoons of coconut oil.

But his plan sounds interesting, nonetheless!

Green 01-01-2014 07:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback y'all. I find it interesting too.
I went super off-plan this holiday and am feeling tempted to do something like this or a fat fast.
I can't stomach spoons of coconut oil but salted kerrygold butter... Now that I can eat plain. Yum

clackley 01-01-2014 07:22 PM

Unna, I agree. I also don't believe that is what is called for.one could do that but....

Fat fast recipes are good for limiting protein.

MerryKate 01-02-2014 12:12 AM

I agree that the fat fast recipes sound better than straight butter. :) Starting mine tomorrow...I need something to get me off the dime after the holidays.

clackley 01-02-2014 05:35 AM

I am doing a fat mostly day today. It will include 2 bpc and a sour cream pudding. Finishing with shirataki noodles in Alfredo sauce.

This has been my menu in the previous high fat/low protein days an it works pretty well.

MerryKate, I will be anxious to hear how you make out.

dee 01-02-2014 08:14 AM

I'll have to google this. I also fell off plan for the week between Christmas and New Years. Gained 3 or 4 lbs. Yikes.

Green 01-03-2014 09:32 AM

Alright. I think I'm starting today. I'm doing Dave Asprey's Rapid Fat Loss Protocol where i basically fat fast for 5 to 6 days on very low calories using Bulletproof coffee and butter (and lots of supplements including BCAA's, activated charcoal powder, plus many more) and then refeed for one day on high quality eggs, grassfed beef, starchy tubers, and wild seafood. Repeat until desired weight loss. Today is day 1. My main concern is losing muscle. Hopefully the 10g of BCAA a day will prevent that.

Green 01-04-2014 07:24 AM

Managed the first day and even slept well. My mct oil didn't arrive as planned so I basically ate 900-1000k worth of kerrygold butter yesterday. Down two pounds today. Haha. I can't believe I ate that much cold salted butter. Surprisingly delicious

clackley 01-04-2014 10:25 AM

Wow that is impressive. Were you hungry? Are you testing blood ketones?

Green 01-04-2014 10:40 AM

No hunger throughout the day. Even though I ate about 3-4 T of butter around 6pm, I felt a little rumbly in my tummy when I went to bed around 11. The combo of 5-htp and a little melatonin helped me fall asleep soundly though. Usually when I create a large calorie deficit, I have problems sleeping unless I take that combo.

I should have checked fasting blood ketones this morning. I'll check tomorrow and post an update.
I also started a thread in "other plans" since this obviously isn't NK with the refeed day and all.

DiamondDeb 01-04-2014 11:37 AM

I'm not doing anything as specifically laid out but I stumbled into fasting a couple weeks ago after a mild attack of diverticulitis & what I'm doing is evolving.

I've been doing 2 fasting days with calories under 500 on fasting days. I started with 2 small meals but changed that to adding coconut oil, then butter & CO to my first mug of coffee & having one evening meal, still keeping total calories for the day (including the CO & butter in coffee) under 500. No problems with hunger throughout the day even before adding the fats to my coffee. No carbs on low days and only LC veggies on normal days. I do not do testing so don't know those numbers.

What I'm thinking of doing is a 5:2 fasting schedule & having one mug of BPC (planning to order MCT later today after double-checking to make sure I get the right kind & am also going to hunt for a higher quality coffee locally) in the morning on fasting days, then have one meal (dinner) with about 15g protein.

The 5:2 fasting method seems to be set up for 1 lb fat loss per week & that would give me a slower weight loss rate than I had without doing the fasting. I want to keep my deficit at 2 lbs per week (I've got enough to lose so that this is not extreme) so the other 5 days will need to be at a deficit rather than maintenance calories.

I work at listening to my body & also had one very hungry day recently. It was not a fasting day and I ate extra, then was still hungry & ate even more! I was over 500 calories over my normal intake and expected a big jump on the scale. It went down almost 4 lbs! :eek: :laugh: That is more than it went down after any fasting day. After I get my official N=1 experiment with BPC/fasting I may add a high day once in a while. I'll listen to my body and act accordingly.

I was/am concerned about loss of LBM/muscle but this method seems to be safe. I'll be tracking carefully.

DiamondDeb 01-04-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green (Post 16737719)
Thanks for the feedback y'all. I find it interesting too.
I went super off-plan this holiday and am feeling tempted to do something like this or a fat fast.
I can't stomach spoons of coconut oil but salted kerrygold butter... Now that I can eat plain. Yum

I don't want to think about how much plain salted butter I could eat! lol... It is like candy!

Coconut Oil isn't so good plain but, with a drop or two of flavoring extract & stevia added, then stuck in the freezer for a few minutes it becomes a sweet treat!

Green 01-04-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16741601)
I'm not doing anything as specifically laid out but I stumbled into fasting a couple weeks ago after a mild attack of diverticulitis & what I'm doing is evolving.

I've been doing 2 fasting days with calories under 500 on fasting days. I started with 2 small meals but changed that to adding coconut oil, then butter & CO to my first mug of coffee & having one evening meal, still keeping total calories for the day (including the CO & butter in coffee) under 500. No problems with hunger throughout the day even before adding the fats to my coffee. No carbs on low days and only LC veggies on normal days. I do not do testing so don't know those numbers.

What I'm thinking of doing is a 5:2 fasting schedule & having one mug of BPC (planning to order MCT later today after double-checking to make sure I get the right kind & am also going to hunt for a higher quality coffee locally) in the morning on fasting days, then have one meal (dinner) with about 15g protein.

The 5:2 fasting method seems to be set up for 1 lb fat loss per week & that would give me a slower weight loss rate than I had without doing the fasting. I want to keep my deficit at 2 lbs per week (I've got enough to lose so that this is not extreme) so the other 5 days will need to be at a deficit rather than maintenance calories.

I work at listening to my body & also had one very hungry day recently. It was not a fasting day and I ate extra, then was still hungry & ate even more! I was over 500 calories over my normal intake and expected a big jump on the scale. It went down almost 4 lbs! :eek: :laugh: That is more than it went down after any fasting day. After I get my official N=1 experiment with BPC/fasting I may add a high day once in a while. I'll listen to my body and act accordingly.

I was/am concerned about loss of LBM/muscle but this method seems to be safe. I'll be tracking carefully.

Sounds like a great plan, Deb. Keep me posted on how it all goes. How do you track loss if LBM?

DiamondDeb 01-04-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green (Post 16741817)
Sounds like a great plan, Deb. Keep me posted on how it all goes. How do you track loss if LBM?

I'll let you know! I should have my MCT oil before the end of the week and will have spent more hours researching it by then. :laugh:

I'm also going to check in my old Body Rx book to see what the author's suggestion was for the amount of MCT oil to take for fat loss. MCT oil was hard to find & expensive back then so he had me add 6 tablespoons of CO per day instead.

I track with calculator on a site I started using many years ago. It is called Linear-Software.

I use the tape measure method once a month & get BF%, pounds of fat, and LBM. The numbers are not going to be 100% accurate but they have always been consistent with different gadgets trainers have used at the gym. The important thing is to see the trend.

I have never had the few accurate methods of tracking BF% and LBM available to me and they are expensive anyway. Using this method I can check on a monthly basis & make adjustments to my plan if needed.

Green 01-05-2014 05:37 AM

Mct oil still hasn't arrived yesterday, so my intake was 700k of kerrygold butter, high quality coffee (1 cup) and all of the supplements Dave recommends.

This morning I'm down 1.4 lbs at 145.1.
My fasting blood ketones are 2.4.

clackley 01-05-2014 06:11 AM

Wow! How do you feel?

Green 01-05-2014 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16742458)
Wow! How do you feel?

I feel pretty good! Yesterday was a little uncomfortable. Slight headache and a little loopy feeling. This morning I definitely feel better.

I don't think this is the healthiest way to lose weight, but I needed to do something for this tradeshow I have starting on Tuesday. All of my professional clothes are a bit snug...

I think your way of one low protein day a week seems much more manageable.

We'll see how much of the weight I put back on once I have a refeed day and continue with NK. If it seems there is still a nice loss, I may do another couple rounds of this. It's not too difficult.

clackley 01-05-2014 11:58 AM

I wish I could explain why this seems to work. My weight loss is incredibly slow to non existent and has been for a very long time yet this protocol is producing a very small difference. I seem to lose 1.5 to 2lbs. over 24 hours and then regain 1 to 1.5 over the next week. But overall, I am moving down.

It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

Looking forward to hearing yours and other's experiences.

DiamondDeb 01-05-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clackley (Post 16742900)
I wish I could explain why this seems to work. My weight loss is incredibly slow to non existent and has been for a very long time yet this protocol is producing a very small difference. I seem to lose 1.5 to 2lbs. over 24 hours and then regain 1 to 1.5 over the next week. But overall, I am moving down.

It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

Looking forward to hearing yours and other's experiences.

I am intending to do only one of my fast days at 15g protein but, if I have BPC in the morning that is not going to leave much room for additional protein so we'll see what happens.

I do find the low days make a difference in my overall loss over time. I've lost 6.4 lbs since adding my low days on 12/23. Of that 6.4 lbs, 4.6 lbs have been new lows. Wow. lol... I thought it was longer amount of time. Tomorrow will be two weeks. I need to do my figuring to determine appropriate calories on my normal days. I've been eating more than before the fasting was added but I want to find the right numbers.

Green, not eating protein at all for that long would scare me. That and not being interested in a starchy refeed day will keep me from ever trying it. As refeeds go, this plan has what sounds like a good one.

I love Himalayan Pink Salt & might see what adding it to water might do.

DiamondDeb 01-05-2014 01:43 PM

My Body Rx book has the following dosage for MCTs in the 6 week Fat Burning Cycle

Week 1: 1 teaspoon twice a day
Week 2: 2 teaspoons twice a day
Weeks 3-6: 1 tablespoon twice a day

He (Dr. Scott Connelly) notes that it is best to take MCTs with food. He also told me it is best to take a break & then add them back in for the best fat burning results rather than using them all the time.

When he told me to use CO instead of MCTs he did not tell me to start slow so I consumed 6 tablespoons from day one! I am very lucky in that I have never experienced any digestive issues from CO. But, straight MCT oil is a different thing so we'll see how I do and how quickly I can increase.

clackley 01-05-2014 01:49 PM

Deb, my bpc only provide 1 gram of protein for 2 cups. Even with that, it was difficult to eat and keep the protein low enough. I have worked out a menu that fits my macros and is satisfying. I do not pay attention to calories.

DiamondDeb 01-05-2014 06:53 PM

Cathy, the one time I tried the low protein on my fast day I ended up with 18g protein. I had eggs that day & could not make myself go down to just 2 eggs for the entire day. I had CO & butter in my coffee that morning and it helped keep me full so I expect the real BPC will do even better. But, I can see getting protein down to 15g is going to be a challenge. I'll bet soup would be good on those low days...


I love numbers & stats so tracking everything is habit with me. I like tracking trends and being able to see what is going on with my food and how my body responds.

Green 01-06-2014 05:43 AM

Down to 143.9. This is day 4.

Green 01-06-2014 06:13 AM

And fasting blood ketones are at 3.1

clackley 01-06-2014 06:16 AM

Wow Green - this seems to be having a good effect on you. How long did you say you were going to do it?

Green 01-06-2014 06:30 AM

Thanks for the support, Cathy! It feels good.
5 or 6 days, depending on how I feel.

DiamondDeb 01-06-2014 03:31 PM

Wow, you are melting away, Green! How are you feeling?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:01 PM.