Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2014, 05:12 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no more scale!
WOE: Hunger Directed Eating 4/22/14
Start Date: JUDDD: start 2/14-4/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
Haha I really feel pretty good. The first couple of days I felt a little yucky. Today I've felt great but a little hungry despite having such a high ketone reading. I don't think I've been eating quite as many calories as I should. Last night and tonight, I've have shitataki noodles with butter and broth instead of just plain butter like Dave recommends.

Actually, tonight I even added a tablespoon or so of my boyfriend's curried vegetables and a splash of coconut milk. And snagged a half ounce of his manchego cheese. So today was more like a low protein instead of no protein day. We'll see if I still have good losses tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

And now I'm eating some cream cheese w/ a few crushed macademia nuts!!!
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #33
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Let_Me_Atom
Stats: 216.8/196.2/150
WOE: High-fat IF/Bulletproof Protocol
Start Date: January 2014
I started this protocol yesterday, however I am not drinking BP coffee. 1) It's expensive and 2) I prefer tea. So instead I am adding a small amount of green tea extract to a morning shake of sorts which consists of grass fed butter, MCT oil and water. I just down it . . . it's not the most appetising thing in the world, lol.

I've also been taking the recommended vitamins with a few tweaks here and there. I'm not taking BCAAs; I wil however add raw egg yolks on my weight training days as a natural way to get ammino acids. Otherwise I'm just eating butter or coconut oil to satiety.

I plan on cycling this protocol for 2 weeks on/2 weeks off because it's pretty intensive, and there's the risk for women to respond negatively to long-term fasting or so I've read.

Your results are impressive thus far green Keep at it!
Let_Me_Atom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Glad to have a partner!
Are you doing the refeed day also, Let me atom?

This morning I woke up with TOM.
.9 lb gain but fasting BK at 2.7.
Weight is 144.8
Old 01-07-2014, 04:16 AM   #35
Junior LCF Member

Yeah, I'll do a refeed day once a week on the weekends I think. I'll just have some sweet potato and beef with some eggs or something. Have you had any issues with feeling really cold all the time since you started fasting? Last night and today I have noticed my body temperature feels really, really low . . . I was lying in bed in my big blanket feeling freezing so I've had the heating cranked up today to try and counteract it :/

I did some reading up about that and can be a sign of ketosis but also from a slowed metabolism caused by eating a low-calorie diet. Not sure.

Do you also weigh yourself everyday? I am thinking I won't weigh myself until the 2 weeks are up.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:27 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Yes I've been weighing myself every day, but not weighing is a great idea.

I did feel quite cold on the first two days. I think it's due to low calorie... Hot baths really help!

I hope the refeed won't set me back since I mostly avoid carbs. Dave says on his site that only carbs reset leptin levels and even provides a link to a research study. I previously thought that just a large refeed in calories (no matter if just protein and fat) would do the trick. I'm sticking with his plan though.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:32 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

I'm on a business trip and couldn't avoid a dinner last night, so I kept it as low protein as possible with a cream based oyster stew, and a caeser lobster wedge salad.
Can't weigh or check Bk this morning, but used a keto stick and it's dark purple.
Will have to have a similar day today, then I'll refeed tomorrow.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:52 PM   #38
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
WTG Green! Good choices!

Enjoy your refeed, too!
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Thanks!! I thoroughly enjoyed my refeed yesterday.
Now I'm quite bloated but feeling great back on my BPC.

Probably a fat fast today and back to NK for the next week or so.
Want to see where my weight stabilizes at.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #40
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Green, how did you do your 'refeed'?

I will be anxious to see how your weight loss settles out as well.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:41 AM   #41
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Green, how did you do your 'refeed'?

I will be anxious to see how your weight loss settles out as well.
I'd like to know, too.

I'm still doing 2 days fasting (under 500 calories) with low protein per week. I'm not sure I like it but I'll reassess after a full month. I feel hungry on fast days and hungrier than usual the next day. I don't like feeling the urge to eat more than planned.

Weight loss the day after fasting is not really impressive or motivating. The other health benefits may be incentive to continue but I am going to research one day fasting per week.

I'm having two mugs of BPC every day but I am not up to the full amounts recommended in Dave's recipe yet. I have had no problems at all with MCT oil. I used 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon butter (organic, salted, not grassfed) in my coffee twice the first day, increased the MCTs to 2t while keeping 1T butter on the second day, and today used 1T MCTs with 1T butter in two mugs of coffee. I'm hoping reaching the full amount of fats in the BPC will make a difference. Time will tell.

I think I might have found a local source for 100% grassfed butter from a farm that sells through a grassfed milk coop. I am waiting for verification of that. I'd like to try it to see if it really does make a difference in how the BPC makes me feel. If there is a noticeable difference it would be worth the extra cost. if not, well, organic butter will do.
into generations of society. ~
Mark Sisson, The Primal Blueprint
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:40 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Well the refeed didn't go quite as planned. I had to attend a gala the evening before, and I had hopes of not eating much of the fixed meal. I did well and just ate half of the steak with added butter... Until dessert. They brought out flour less chocolate cake and didn't take it away until after this live auction ended. It sat there for a good thirty minutes before I convinced myself I would start my refeed then and there.

So, the morning of my intended refeed start, I had an omelet with sweet potato hash browns and a few bites of a pancake.
I was so full and satisfied I barely wanted lunch 5 hours later, but I forced down roasted plantain chips from trader joes (snacked on them throughout the afternoon) and picked up fried rice and pho from a Vietnamese place but could hardly put a dent in it.

Dinner was sea bass and another flour less choc cake. Ha.

Dave advises to only eat starchy vegetables and white rice for the carbs in refeed day, so I hope I didn't screw up royally. We shall see! I won't be getting on the scale until I see some of the bloat go away.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:03 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Krissy2010
Stats: 171/151/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/7/2013
Hi guys I just started this today and I'm following it like Dave wanted.... Bpc with butter and coconut oil with all the supplements. I am a little hungry but I'll eat some butter later tonight! I'm hoping this works even though this seems a little drastic. I will eat 6 days of fasting and one day of re-feed; hoping to not have to do this for more than a month!
Krissy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:06 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissy2010 View Post
Hi guys I just started this today and I'm following it like Dave wanted.... Bpc with butter and coconut oil with all the supplements. I am a little hungry but I'll eat some butter later tonight! I'm hoping this works even though this seems a little drastic. I will eat 6 days of fasting and one day of re-feed; hoping to not have to do this for more than a month!
awesome. good luck to you! you can do it. I think the l-glutamine really helps. melatonin helped me with sleeping too.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Ya today has been ok but hoping day 1 is the worst! I think a lot of this is mental! Really hoping the at fast will also detox all that crap in my body out!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #46
Junior LCF Member

Well thought I would update. 7 days in and I checked the scales for the first time today (I said I wouldn't till 2 weeks was up but you know how it goes) and true enough, I have lost 6lbs since I started.

I am feeling great, after that first weird 2 days of feeling cold and tired. I think that was down to my not easing into the BP diet 2 weeks prior to starting the protocol. Anyway, doesn't matter now! Because my energy is amazing, stable throughout the day without BP coffee - I just have a shot of green tea extract mixed in water and MCT oil. So if anyone here thinks that is a requirement, I am living proof that it isn't.

I have been taking most of the recommended supplements, save for L-Glutathione and BCAAs, just for money issues. Instead of L-Glute I have been taking acetyl cysteine powder and along with Vitamin C this supposedly results in your body producing it's own glutathione (according to my research, anyway). I have also been eating coconut oil and grass fed butter if/when hungry, which admittedly, is not often.

So, so far so good! I think that with this protocol - if you are doing it as it is described without your own tweaks - it is important to supplement properly and drink lots of water. Also, I could not imagine keeping this up for longer than 2 weeks without risking falling off the wagon and binging on a refeed day, or just missing food too much to keep up with it. I made burritos for my son the other day and could feel myself reaching for the beef mince in the pan. Oh, how I love beef. Despite my missing certain foods, cravings are low, however.

Will update again in a few days or a week And good luck to all those starting out.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

So glad you are having great results! Im on day two of this and have lost 3.5 pounds and my energy is through the roof! On day 7 I am going to change it up and only eat meats and fat (no carbs) I'm afraid the sweet potato may send me on a binge or gain a good chunk of that weight back. I'll let you know how it goes! My only complaint is a slight headache which I'm thinking is from lack of salt??
Old 01-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #48
Junior LCF Member

Yeah the results are great, as are yours!

From what I have read it is important to eat carbs on the refeed day as this protocol is basically a glorified carb-cycling with coffee thrown in. Dave Asprey stresses the importance of carbs on the refeed day with his detailing the protocol. But I can sympathise with the temptation to binge after eating carbs.

I still am not sure how many carbs we should eat, but for my refeed day I just boiled up 2 peeled sweet potatoes and mashed them with butter and had a side helping of wild rice and chicken (kind of like a curry, but without cream or anything). And while I did have a flash moment of "OH HECK I JUST ATE CARBS WHY NOT HAVE BEN AND JERRYS TOO LOL YOLO!!?!" it soon passed and I just went back to my usual self :P
Old 01-14-2014, 01:53 PM   #49
Junior LCF Member

Oh and sorry I failed to address your headache comment, I would say the most likely culrpit is your body is just going into detoxing mode and all the toxins that are being released in your ketosis are going to result in some LC flu-like symptoms, headaches being a popular one. Do keep up your salt intake but I would just wait for the crap symptoms to pass as they naturally would within a week.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Y'all make me want to start another round! I went crazy on refeed day with the sweets.. And have yet to get back into full ketosis since then even though I've been eating "legally." I said I would fat fast to get back in ketosis for a day or two but haven't yet.. Also haven't checked the scale as I fear the bloating from refeeding is still present.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:08 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Ok so how did you feel after the refeed day and did you happen to weigh that day? Im Afraid it'll gain like half if the weight I lost back! Hmmm havent made my mind up yet but I've got a couple days to figure out what I'm gonna do on day 7! How long have you been doing this?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 AM   #52
Junior LCF Member

@Green: I think Dave says that going crazy on a refeed day can result in 4-6 days of stall before your body gets back into ketosis again. I wouldn't worry about the weight, most of it will just be water weight anyway. I still think it's best to do this protocol for short periods of time for women because our bodies are more likely to react negatively to extended fasting.

@Krissy: The point of carbs on the refeed day is to reset leptin levels and restore muscle glycogen so if you're not going to eat carbs on your refeed day I would recommend you eat a little protein and leafy green vegetables every night or else you'll be setting your body up for a stress response. You could just continue as you are with the supplements and fast until mid or late afternoon and then have a meal without hampering results too much. It wouldn't technically be a fat fast this way but it would be best to do this if going without the refeed.

I've been doing this for 9 days, though on my second day in I had a meal of chicken and creamed coconut because my energy was awful (from not easing into it properly).
Old 01-15-2014, 06:11 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissy2010 View Post
Ok so how did you feel after the refeed day and did you happen to weigh that day? Im Afraid it'll gain like half if the weight I lost back! Hmmm havent made my mind up yet but I've got a couple days to figure out what I'm gonna do on day 7! How long have you been doing this?
I did the refeed this past Thursday and didn't weigh until this morning.
I still don't think think I've lost all of the water weight but I weighed in at 146. Over two pounds down from when I started Dave's protocol.

So hooray! I'm hoping that's an actual loss of fat and not LBM.

That was my first round.
Not sure when I'll begin another one. Maybe next week.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:12 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let_Me_Atom View Post
@Green: I think Dave says that going crazy on a refeed day can result in 4-6 days of stall before your body gets back into ketosis again. I wouldn't worry about the weight, most of it will just be water weight anyway. I still think it's best to do this protocol for short periods of time for women because our bodies are more likely to react negatively to extended fasting.

@Krissy: The point of carbs on the refeed day is to reset leptin levels and restore muscle glycogen so if you're not going to eat carbs on your refeed day I would recommend you eat a little protein and leafy green vegetables every night or else you'll be setting your body up for a stress response. You could just continue as you are with the supplements and fast until mid or late afternoon and then have a meal without hampering results too much. It wouldn't technically be a fat fast this way but it would be best to do this if going without the refeed.

I've been doing this for 9 days, though on my second day in I had a meal of chicken and creamed coconut because my energy was awful (from not easing into it properly).
Thanks Let me atom!
Old 01-15-2014, 06:44 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

I've dropped 6.7 pounds in two days from this so I'm thrilled! I've decided on day 7 I'm gonna eat meat, fats, and sweet potato for my carbs. The white rice is so high in carbs!
Old 01-15-2014, 01:31 PM   #56
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: jrhoden
Stats: 159/157/140
WOE: low carb/high fat
Start Date: 10/18/13
Hi Y'all. For those of you , and myself as well, who find it hard to eat coconut oil by itself, have you tried Coconut Manna by Nutiva ? It is very good and I eat it right out of the jar. Completely different from coconut oil. Give it a try. I still use coconut oil in my BPC but you might find this helpful on a fast.
jrhoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #57
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
It is good but the protein is about equal to the fat grams which might not be great.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:11 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhoden View Post
Hi Y'all. For those of you , and myself as well, who find it hard to eat coconut oil by itself, have you tried Coconut Manna by Nutiva ? It is very good and I eat it right out of the jar. Completely different from coconut oil. Give it a try. I still use coconut oil in my BPC but you might find this helpful on a fast.
I love this stuff - it is really good by the spoonful, but it does have some carb to it, so don't crazy. I make a great fat bomb by combining Coconut Manna with coconut oil and shredded coconut, sweetened with SF almond Torani syrup, and coat it with melted dark chocolate mixed with coconut oil and hwc. It comes out tasting like a mounds bar.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:18 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: onthepath
Stats: 234/213/180
WOE: low carb
Start Date: June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I love this stuff - it is really good by the spoonful, but it does have some carb to it, so don't crazy. I make a great fat bomb by combining Coconut Manna with coconut oil and shredded coconut, sweetened with SF almond Torani syrup, and coat it with melted dark chocolate mixed with coconut oil and hwc. It comes out tasting like a mounds bar.
I would love your recipie for your "mounds bar".
Thanks.
onthepath is offline   Reply With Quote