Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Amnicity
Ketosis Q.

Hey guys. I'm new, so I'm sorry if this has been asked already. Anyways, I like doing a low carb and high fat diet, but I don't think I can stick to it ALL the time, like in the holidays. I'm usually very disciplined and try to always stay in ketosis. So my question is, do I need to stay in ketosis to lose weight? I mean, I know there are other ways to lose weight, like keeping calories low or low-fat approach, but is it okay that I am predominantly low carb but for one day eat something high carb or do I have to be consistently in ketosis? So for example eat high carb one day, like during the holidays, then go back to low carb or make mainly low carb choices but not consistently enough to be back in ketosis. I'm just worried that I may be doing harm by alternating because I I've read that fat and carbs don't mix. I'm not sure if I was clear enough but thanks anyways.
Amnicity is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I think it depends on your goals. I am not sure ketosis matters as much as they say it does. I think it is more like metabolic damage from years of a very high carb diet that is the issue. I lost 60lbs on a HC diet. And the last 5lbs on the LC diet. The LC diet I was following was high fat and the satiety was great on it, but I was in and out of ketosis (according to my blood monitor) all the time. If doing the odd HC day doesn't affect your ability to get back on plan then I can't see why not. Some people can't do it but some people can. See if it works for you. It certainly is a more realistic way to live.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Seems to me that going high carb will slow your weightloss.
Of course, you haven't really given us much info to go on . . . age, current weight, weight goals, etc. When younger I could eat lots of carbs and not gain weight. But as I've gotten into my 50s and now 60s, I just can't do anymore. I've not addressed your question about ketosis . . . there are others here more expert. Seems to me, though, that one day of high carb will likely not mess with you. If might throw you out of ketosis but you can get back.
I am sticking to plan this year because my loss is slow and I am not willing to backslide. Some others will not increase carbs because it will set off all sorts of cravings. You can certainly lose weight without being in ketosis though. It happens all the time. It really depends on your unique body.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome Amnicity! I have never really seen your question in quite this way and it is a really good question with lots of variables as Patience has indicated.

I think the short answer is that breaking out of ketosis occasionally is something that some 'experts' advocate for weight loss.

If you are not fully keto-adapted at this point it will slow down that adaption process to some degree. It is really dependent on your personal physiology.

How all this relates to your weight loss is again very individual. If you are planning on only a short break (a day or a meal), you will only gain back some water weight. However, if you have been in ketosis for any length of time, you may find that eating some higher carbs may make you feel ill.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote