Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Checkoutchick
Stats: 199/151/143
WOE: Atkins (NANY)
Start Date: 17/06/13
NK and IF

Hi All
I've started IF 16:8 since last Tuesday in conjunction with Atkins/NK and I'm loving it. It seems to have given me an added tool to eat in a way which fits ME rather than eating because one "must have breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, smaller meals because more often is better, blah blah"... I'm enjoying my food more and have no need to 'overeat' in my feeding window, in fact the opposite is true
Anyone else doing this and how are you getting on with this?
Checkoutchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dahilz
Stats: 159/150/135
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: Nov 2013
Great to hear your sucess with that. How do you work that plan around family?
How long do you typically go without eating? Has is hastened your weight loss?
What is a typical day of food for you?
Dahilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahilz View Post
Great to hear your sucess with that. How do you work that plan around family?
How long do you typically go without eating? Has is hastened your weight loss?
What is a typical day of food for you?
Well, it's only me and hubby at home now. He's a true carb addict and I'm not going to be able to change that
I plan 'our' meals based on Keto principles then add any carby stuff like pasta, potato, etc for him
I Fast 5x 16hrs per week. Basically I don't start eating (breaking fast) until 12noon to 1pm, which opens my feeding window of between 6-8 hrs. Sleep is included as part of my fast as I'm not eating
Sat/Sun I eat 'ad lib' and I find my appetite remains minimal
This pattern suits me because I don't need breakfast and prefer to eat later in the day. It also has to revolve around my shifts at work.
But it's entirely up to you how you plan your fasts as long as you apply some principles.
When I eat it's based around my macros, it took me six months to work them out
I never go to bed hungry and it seems to have had a positive impact on the scales too
It's not for everyone. If it leads you to overeat/binge in your feeding window, then it's not for you. If your interested, give it a try for a couple of days a week to start with. There are some good sites to look at. PM me and I'll send you the links
I'm 9b from goal having lost 43lb since 17/06/'13
Old 12-22-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/196.5/150
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: April 2011
I've also been doing the 16:8 fast, 5 days a week since October. It helped me halt a mysterious gaining trend - I never could figure out what was causing it, but the IF helped me start losing again. I'm surprised at the lack of hunger I have on nights when I stop eating by 8 p.m. - I have no problem being done for the night, even if I've eaten far less calories than I normally would. When I'm really in the groove I have trouble eating enough. If I'm focused on work, I don't think to start eating until 1 or 2 p.m., and then I have to fit two meals in a 6-hour window.

The problem for me is the two non-fast-days – if I eat after 8 p.m. for some reason I wind up "grazing" until I go to bed. I have a hard time not going off the fast on weekends, because I spend time with my mother and she likes to have a "fun" breakfast on Saturday (i.e. low-carb pancakes). Having that extra meal leaves me feeling munchy, even though my carb levels are still fairly low. It usually takes two days of IF to get me back on track. I'm thinking about going to IF all the time in January as part of a push to really get losing again.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dahilz
Stats: 159/150/135
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: Nov 2013
Hey Chick and Merry,
This sounds very interesting. I would like to get my fat percentage down so I may just give this a try. My hon loves a big farm breakfast though and he can have all the carbs he wants without gaining weight. He's the same size and weight he was in high school and I refuse to let myself go.
Is there a book you would recommend?
Dahilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahilz View Post
Hey Chick and Merry,
This sounds very interesting. I would like to get my fat percentage down so I may just give this a try. My hon loves a big farm breakfast though and he can have all the carbs he wants without gaining weight. He's the same size and weight he was in high school and I refuse to let myself go.
Is there a book you would recommend?
Why do you want to get your fat percentage down
We're eating High Fat, Moderate Protein, Low Carb.

I'm also tempted to go IF 7 days a week from January It definitely keeps my appetite in check
Old 12-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Krissy2010
Stats: 205/203/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/7/2013
I am so excited to see that there are other people doing this as well! I have finally dropped 10 pounds from the IF in combo with nutritional ketosis and I've got 5-10 pounds more to go. I read about IF about a month ago and thought this would be hard at first which it was for the first couple days but once I got it down for a week I was in love! I normally have my coffee with cream in the morning and don't eat until 2-3pm. I also follow the 16 hrs of no eating/fasting and pick an 8 hour windows where I do eat. I've found I'm not obsessed with food or stuffing my face all the time; I'm also fuller faster and with less food. I've seen a lot of the body builders have recently adapted this and I'm loving it! Really hoping I can drop the last 5-10 pounds because I was stuck before doing IF! How has your journey been on IF?
Krissy2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
Maybe 1 or 2 days a week I will IF for 14-16 hours on nothing but water and coffee.
The rest of the days I usually "IF" using bullet proof coffee ( coffee blended with butter and mct oil). From what I understand, this is a form of fasting but doesn't stress the body out as much. I'm a woman at child bearing age and want to keep my body stress free and fertile.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: aeatinger
Question for the NK /IFers

Do you IF everyday? I was thinking of the the NK with 4 days of IF just to shake it up a bit. Is that a bad idea you think?
aeatinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:09 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

I've almost completed a full week. Weigh in Thursday
I'm having two coffees with a little cream am, then start eating about 12-1pm or even later. I'm definitely 'full' much quicker Two meals a day and I'm done
Old 12-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
I do this too.
I first start off with a fat fast,then modified fat fast and make sure I get into good ketosis.-about 3-4 days.then I do IF.morning hwc coffee then nothing until I feel hungry.most days I really have no appetite.great tool to drop a few pounds faster.
I have found that if I start off with IF first b4 being in ketosis,I go all out binge mode.
these holidays I gained a few pounds and this has helped take off faster than otherwise.i am determined not to make that mistake again,since I was feeling awfully bloated and crappy.
IF makes me feel very happy,and sometimes I do it with BPC coffee.next morning sometimes I have to force food down.I was just a little nervous about going too far.
180:reached
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I am a fan of I.F. and do a modified one most days naturally. I am not a breakfast eater so I don't. And I do consume bpc so am not hungry until early afternoon. I never have more then 2 meals a day and snacking is mostly a thing of the past but I always plan one in case I feel like it.

The benefits of eating this way are vast. Just as an example, it simplifies food prep enormously. It propably saves me $ in food. It also has made me really okay with having hungry feelings without feeling panic. It is quite wonderful.

If you listen to Jimmy Moore's experiences, he says that he does I.F. up to 24 hours - no problem and it is based on his hunger signals entirely. I can't go that long. I do get hungry on the clock pretty much.

I think the advice about eating several times a day... small meals is basically bad and is formulated around people who have a high carb woe. It doesn't apply to N.K.ers. As we all know, when eating carbs, we would experience a very different kind of hunger that was forceful and driving. So probably the advice was to keep that kind of hunger from being a downfall for high carb woes.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I am a fan of I.F. and do a modified one most days naturally. I am not a breakfast eater so I don't. And I do consume bpc so am not hungry until early afternoon. I never have more then 2 meals a day and snacking is mostly a thing of the past but I always plan one in case I feel like it.

The benefits of eating this way are vast. Just as an example, it simplifies food prep enormously. It propably saves me $ in food. It also has made me really okay with having hungry feelings without feeling panic. It is quite wonderful.

If you listen to Jimmy Moore's experiences, he says that he does I.F. up to 24 hours - no problem and it is based on his hunger signals entirely. I can't go that long. I do get hungry on the clock pretty much.

I think the advice about eating several times a day... small meals is basically bad and is formulated around people who have a high carb woe. It doesn't apply to N.K.ers. As we all know, when eating carbs, we would experience a very different kind of hunger that was forceful and driving. So probably the advice was to keep that kind of hunger from being a downfall for high carb woes.
Funny, I've cut myself some slack being on 'holidays' and everyone else indulging. But I still only have a small HFLC snack for 'breakfast' around 1pmish then dinner around 5pmish I'm just not hungry and when I finally feel 'hungry' enough for a full meal, I'm full so much quicker
No idea how much I've eaten macro wise and had a few!!! Pringles (about 10) and a couple of roast potatoes ooh and WINE

The weird thing about IF is that I quite enjoy that hungry feeling when my mealtime comes round. It's entirely different from the 'stuff yourself with all kind of crap that comes your way before you even get to your meal' feeling ...
Old 12-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #14
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkoutchick View Post
The weird thing about IF is that I quite enjoy that hungry feeling when my mealtime comes round. It's entirely different from the 'stuff yourself with all kind of crap that comes your way before you even get to your meal' feeling ...
Ohh yes! There is nothing like appetite to make your food taste fantastic! I love that part too!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #15
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Are the health benefits of fasting with a plan like 5:2 days different that the health benefits of fasting 16:8 hours every day?

I've read a little about some of these plans & it seems like health benefits are the main reason to do it? The fat loss does not seem to be increased from what I have read about so far.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I totally agree.The food prep is almost nil. timewise and moneywise.In fact after being on NK,my food bills came down considerably,esp after I discovered fasting.On LC alone ,I used to buy tons of (costly)meat. Protein is costly.And then convenience foods like shakes and bars.Now I don't use them at all.

I give myself permission to eat on plan if I get hungry.In my case the key is to be already in ketosis.If not, IF not only doesn't work,it backfires for me big time.

I recently read a book that said prolonged IF can cure some cancers and other diseases.It gives the body a chance to heal when it is not bogged down by constant food digestion.
In fact fasting is very much part of most ancient cultures.It is a norm in eastern cultures too.Constant snacking and readily available refrigerated(not fresh) food all the time is a result of modernism and with it comes our modern lifestyle diseases.
lowcarbella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkoutchick View Post
Hi All
I've started IF 16:8 since last Tuesday in conjunction with Atkins/NK and I'm loving it. It seems to have given me an added tool to eat in a way which fits ME rather than eating because one "must have breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, smaller meals because more often is better, blah blah"... I'm enjoying my food more and have no need to 'overeat' in my feeding window, in fact the opposite is true
Anyone else doing this and how are you getting on with this?

I am considering this. As it is my husband and I go 12 hours without eating. I knew someone years ago, who only ate once a day. Her weight was good. She and her husband had been eating like this for years. At that time, I ate high carb, so I could not understand how she could do that. Now that I am LCHF, I think that I could actually do that without eating my arm off.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote