Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: westes
Anyone Understand the Sugars in Chestnuts?

I am on Paleo diet and trying to move more in the direction of higher fats and low carbs. I am trying to find a good substitute for wheat bread and have been researching various fats and wheat-substitutes that could be used in a bread recipe. In the course of reviewing nuts, I discovered the Chestnut and have some questions on that.

The first striking thing about Chestnuts is that they appear nutritionally to be like fruits, not nuts. They have almost no fat content. They have quite a few carbs, and the nutritional content listing on nutritiondata shows 45 grams+ of carbs per 100 gram serving,

But everywhere I look, I read the claim that the glycemic load of Chestnuts is low. On that site above the glycemic load is only 7, versus 45 for wheat bread!!

How is it possible that something with so much carbohydrate would have so little of the carbohydrate be absorbed by the body?

And since I want to grind up chestnuts and use their "flour" in a bread recipe, I am guessing a lot more of that carbohydrate will absorb into the body?

This may be one of those questions you can only answer by eating the chestnut bread and then testing with a glucometer....
westes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
This is one of the many problems with the 'glycemic load' theory. It is not really reliable and if you read about how it was produced and the many problems, you will likley not give it much more thought.

Quote:
The way nutritionists create a tables of glycemic index values is this: They feed a measured dose of a single food to a group of completely normal people. Then they test their blood sugar two hours after they have eaten and come up with an average blood sugar value they compare to the blood sugar the same group experienced after eating some reference food usually white bread or pure glucose.
You can just imagine the flaws that this system might present.

Too many carbs in chestnuts for me.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:59 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
yes, I believe the whole glycemic load thing is totally useless, myself. one reason is that it's been shown foods in combination don't perform at all like just averaging their loads would suggest... any carb can be forced to have a somewhat lower GL for instance by eating it with fat.

second, same carbs, same insulin release. why do you care if it's over 4 hours or 2 hours? it does make it a LITTLE easier to manage your blood sugar when you are injecting insulin, but other than that? fergit it.

good luck. sorry about the chestnuts!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
My advice with chestnuts is to roast them and just eat a couple.... you can enjoy the unique flavor without overdoing the carbs.

They are not a nut that makes you want to overeat them, not like salted cashews or macadamias.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
This is one of the many problems with the 'glycemic load' theory. It is not really reliable and if you read about how it was produced and the many problems, you will likley not give it much more thought.

You can just imagine the flaws that this system might present.

Too many carbs in chestnuts for me.
So the bottom line is use a glucometer and measure the effect that a specific recipe has on your own biology....
Old 12-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Not in my opinion. If you demonstrate any metabolic damage (i.e. excess weight), assume that the carb count is what is important and not the g.l. #.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Not in my opinion. If you demonstrate any metabolic damage (i.e. excess weight), assume that the carb count is what is important and not the g.l. #.
I am a very lean person, so body fat isn't going to tell me a lot probably.

I am showing a very high fasting glucose at 115, which may correspond to a low carb diet. In a perfect world, I would like to have fasting glucose at 80 and have my post-meal glucose never go above 140. I am not diabetic, but I do appear to have some bad genes here because I have never gotten my fasting glucose below 90.

At this point I think a glucometer needs to become my best friend. I'm never going to understand my body's blood sugar metabolism unless I observe how it reacts after specific meals.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CuriousCat
Stats: 215/149/145-135 range or lower
WOE: LCHF under 20gms total carbs
Start Date: 11/21/13
I am diabetic type 2 and since going LCHF my fasting blood sugar is lower than yours, so I'm thinking the low carb diet is not the reason yours is so high. BTW I've only been on this WOE for 2 wks and I went from a fasting blood sugar of 200 to 113 this morning and I have dawn reaction pretty badly.
CuriousCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:02 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
I am diabetic type 2 and since going LCHF my fasting blood sugar is lower than yours, so I'm thinking the low carb diet is not the reason yours is so high. BTW I've only been on this WOE for 2 wks and I went from a fasting blood sugar of 200 to 113 this morning and I have dawn reaction pretty badly.
What is "dawn reaction"?
Old 12-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by westes View Post
I am a very lean person, so body fat isn't going to tell me a lot probably.

I am showing a very high fasting glucose at 115, which may correspond to a low carb diet. In a perfect world, I would like to have fasting glucose at 80 and have my post-meal glucose never go above 140. I am not diabetic, but I do appear to have some bad genes here because I have never gotten my fasting glucose below 90.

At this point I think a glucometer needs to become my best friend. I'm never going to understand my body's blood sugar metabolism unless I observe how it reacts after specific meals.
Or you could simply stay away from foods that have a higher carb count like chestnuts. If you have high blood sugar readings like 140, I would suggest that you do have some metabolic disease. It doesn't always express itself with excess weight. That is just the most common one here on this forum.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Sorry it's actually dawn phenomenon, I miss remembered.

All people have the “dawn phenomenon,” if they have diabetes or not.

The dawn phenomenon is a surge of hormones that the body produces daily around 4:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m.

This causes the liver to release glycogen.

I wouldn't bother with a glucose monitor if I were you I'd just by one of the walmarts 9 dollar A1C tests and get a picture of your past 3 mths. That will tell you if you are creeping into the diabetic range or are perfectly normal.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
Sorry it's actually dawn phenomenon, I miss remembered.

All people have the “dawn phenomenon,” if they have diabetes or not.

The dawn phenomenon is a surge of hormones that the body produces daily around 4:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m.

This causes the liver to release glycogen.

I wouldn't bother with a glucose monitor if I were you I'd just by one of the walmarts 9 dollar A1C tests and get a picture of your past 3 mths. That will tell you if you are creeping into the diabetic range or are perfectly normal.
I thought the only consumer A1C test now was the Bayer A1C Now+ unit? Reports on Amazon have been that it is not accurate. Would be nice to have a reliable A1C tester as well.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

You add the blood at home and send it to the lab, all for the $9 price tag.