Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Dahilz
Stats: 159/150/135
WOE: HFLC
Start Date: Nov 2013
What's your story?

I'm curious. How did you decide to eat this way? It is so counter intuitive to eat fat to lose fat. Share your success and your goals.

For me, I've always wanted to be healthy and keep my weight in check. I like having adventures and want to be able to do them for many decades to come. I am 5'6" tall and have never had to diet but have eaten a healthy farm diet. I do love to bake & make desserts for family members. My husband is tall and works construction (He is the same weight he was in high school) and I have a sedentary job. Many years ago I told myself that I would never let my weight go over 150. (When I married 35 years ago, I weighed 128- and thought I should be 10 pounds lighter then)
A couple of years ago I went to a health fair and was dismayed when I jumped on the scale and weighed 159. I cut out sugar and flour and lost 15 pounds in several months. I didn't like the way I was constantly thinking about food. when I gradually quit eating that way, the pounds came back on. Last month at the health fair I weighed 156 and was at 35% fat. Ouch! I'm pear shaped and would really like to lose some of this extra layer around by hips. My mother has followed the low fat way of thinking and I find that choice has not helped her become thin and is quite tasteless.
This last summer I read Taubes book and also an Atkins book and so I thought I would try eating this way. One day I stumbled onto a video blog by Jimmy Moore about his LCHF approach and it clicked with me.
Love the way the cravings are almost nonexistent with this way of eating.
I have lost 6 pounds in the last month.

Goals: I bought a cute red dress to wear when I meet a new friend in January. If I lose about 5 more pounds it won't be tight around my hips.

In February, I am planning a trip with my hon to Costa Rica. I'm confident that I can be under 140 by then

Questions: What is a healthy body fat to have at my age? (54)
Does it matter whether you have a lot to lose or a little? Is it just as effective for almost anyone?

Last edited by Dahilz; 12-09-2013 at 04:40 PM..
Dahilz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: CuriousCat
Stats: 215/155/145-135 range
WOE: LCHF under 20gms total carbs
Start Date: 11/21/13
Hi, I'm new to low carb eating, only 2wks in but feeling good.

I have been a type 2 diabetic for several years but had little or no problem keeping my glucose levels under control with diet only until this past year. I actually went from July to November not checking my blood sugar because I was busy (trip to Alaska) then a very busy period, then I was just wrung out and sick as a dog for a couple months and not thinking.

Well I pulled out my meter when I realized how long it had been since I'd checked and really expected it to read where it always does but got a shock. 517. Suddenly the being sick made sense and here I was with no insurance. Instant web search and diet change commenced.

I have had totally normal blood sugars for the past several days, not diabetic normal, non diabetic normal. I had to quit one of my blood pressure meds because my blood pressures were so low. Tons of energy. Clearer thinking. I am SOLD.

Last night I read Jimmy Moore's blog and that is when I decided to not just work low carbs but to use LCHF.
CuriousCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
dee
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dee
Stats: (HW196)188/181.4/145
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart Nov 26.13 (formerly HHCG 2 rounds)
I am only into my 2nd week. I am no longer ready for a nap in the afternoon. I feel like running up a flight of stairs (cool!) Instead of walking. I really want to be in the 170s for mid January. My mini goal is 165. 20 lbs over my ideal wt but if I can make it there that will be 30 lbs from my all time highest wt. at least it will be reasonable. But my goal is 145. My motivation is I want to look at a picture of myself and not say EWWWWW! Lol. Sad but true I want to be in the best shape of my life when I turn 50 (I'm 47)

Last edited by dee; 12-09-2013 at 08:00 PM..
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahilz View Post
I'm curious. How did you decide to eat this way? It is so counter intuitive to eat fat to lose fat. Share your success and your goals.
I steadily gained weight through my adult life, largely due to a high stress job and an obsession with junk food, but after my dad died my weight spiked to 252 lbs. I started trying to lose weight about a year later, and lost 65 lbs. on a low-fat diet by exercising constantly. But I couldn't keep it up for long - after a while, my weight crept up, despite the diet and exercise. And then I suffered several sports injuries, which still plague me to this day. I finally gave up and was back up to 220 when I read an article in Reader's Digest by Gary Taubes which laid out the basics of the low carb diet. I decided to give Atkins a try. Honestly, I secretly expected to be back to eating sugar in a week, but after white knuckling it through the first 3 days, I suddenly discovered I was no longer subject to obsessive thoughts about food. For the first time in my life, I could control my eating without feeling deprived. On week two I gave away every carby food hiding in my cupboards, and committed to this as a lifestyle.

Another year and half went by, and my weight loss stalled out, so I started reading all the boards on Low Carb Friends and discovered Nutritional Ketosis. I started that in Oct. 2012 and lost 10 lbs. – over the holidays, no less! I haven't had as much success since then, but I do find NK keeps me stable. I relapsed this summer, but experiencing 6 weeks of riding the blood sugar roller coaster reminded me that the few deprivations of a low carb diet are worth it for the ability to control what I put in my mouth. I still want to get down to 150 lbs. if I can, but I'm happy with this WOE even if I never lose another pound.

Quote:
My mother has followed the low fat way of thinking and I find that choice has not helped her become thin and is quite tasteless.
From what Gary Taubes wrote in "Why We Get Fat," it seems that this type of weight gain is genetic. If you lose weight easily on NK, your mom probably would, too. There's a strong likelihood she won't have long-term success on a low-fat diet. Can you get her to try your new WOE?

Quote:
Questions: What is a healthy body fat to have at my age? (54)
Optimal body fat is the same no matter what your age - between 21 and 24 percent for women is considered fit, and up to 31% is average.

Quote:
Does it matter whether you have a lot to lose or a little?
The weight will tend to come off quicker if you're starting from a high weight. You don't have much to lose (compared to those of us starting in the 200s) so you'll find the weight loss will slow down as you approach the last 10 lbs.

Quote:
Is it just as effective for almost anyone?
According to Taubes' research, about 40% of the American populace is overweight, due to the fact that we don't process carbohydrates properly. We're the ones for whom the low carb diet is most effective. I'd say most people eating a standard western diet have some weight to lose due to an over-consumption of sugar and refined flours, and correcting their diet will allow them to get to a healthy weight.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Just remember that BMI charts and healthy BF ranges are based on stats or correlational comparisons, they aren't actual facts. If you go to another country or somewhere else in the world, what is considered "average" or "healthy" is much different. For example a woman considered healthy in her own country might be considered anorexic in our country. Even though having 1/4 of your body weight being made up of fat, might be considered healthy, it doesn't mean it is. For example, I tried that, I have trouble climbing stairs without being winded at 1/4 body fat. I don't like being winded that easily.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Punkin: I agree that your healthy weight is where you feel the best, regardless of a BMI chart. I'm currently trying to lose some of the fat on my butt and thighs so that I can make it over the pullup bar... otherwise I feel pretty okay at my weight. I wish I were lighter so that I could move faster, but I'm not going to hold my breath!

My story in very short form is that I was morbidly obese as a child and teenager. I've tried every diet in the world and fought anxiety, depression, and fatigue for as long as I can remember.

NK is the only diet I've ever tried that has made me feel amazing. I even tried a normal carb paleo approach and slowly started feeling bad again.

I don't recommend NK to people, it seems to frighten them. Sometimes it even frightens me, as I am eating everything I was told my entire life not to eat.

But for those of us with carbohydrate intolerance, this diet is life changing.
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Swinters
Stats: 162/134/125
I went a long time without weighing myself. I went to the doctor and found out I weighed 162lbs! I knew I needed a huge change in my life ASAP. I never was a huge smackers nor did I really over eat. I reviewed what I normally ate on a daily basis and realized it was mostly carbs. I them started researching differ bet low carb approaches. I wanted a diet that would be doable for me (I love cheese). When I found I could still have cheese and eat without starving myself I decided to give it a try. While it's been a struggle the results have been worth avoiding carbs.
Swinters is offline   Reply With Quote