Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
blood glucose... Lower than fasting BG after eating

This morning my fasting blood glucose was 84.
I checked it again 1 hour after drinking a cup of coffee with 2T if heavy cream and it was 81. (I wanted to see if coffee and/or dairy spike my BG)

Any thoughts on why it wouldn't be higher? I searched online and all I could come up with is I might have hypoglycemia...

I'll be checking again at the 2 hour mark.

Last edited by Green; 12-09-2013 at 08:06 AM..
Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

2 hours after the coffee with cream it's at 77.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
This morning my fasting blood glucose was 84.
I checked it again 1 hour after drinking a cup of coffee with 2T if heavy cream and it was 81. (I wanted to see if coffee and/or dairy spike my BG)

Any thoughts on why it wouldn't be higher? I searched online and all I could come up with is I might have hypoglycemia...

I'll be checking again at the 2 hour mark.
I do not know the reason, but maybe if you have a little protein with your coffee and cream your blood sugar levels will not dip too low.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Your very slightly higher fasting blood glucose is normal. Many n.k. 'long termers' have much higher fasting b.g. levels as a result of something called physiological insulin resistance. It is nothing to be concerned about if your A1c is within normal range.

Last edited by clackley; 12-09-2013 at 05:26 PM..
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks y'all. I plan on getting my a1c tested soon
Old 12-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: CuriousCat
Stats: 215/149/145-135 range or lower
WOE: LCHF under 20gms total carbs
Start Date: 11/21/13
Google "Dawn phenomenon" or "Dawn Effect" it will explain it all.

Basically your body releases glucose stores from the liver before waking to I suppose give you energy to start the day, as I remember it.

I have it too, my prebed readings are always lower than my first thing in the morning readings.
CuriousCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:27 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cavewoman
WOE: low carb / high fat + intuitive eating
I know you posted this a few days ago, but:

I don't think a difference of 4 points can be attributed to the Dawn Effect/the release of glucose by the liver. Firstly, 4 points is well within the range of error for a glucometer (meaning, I could check my glucose three times in a row and get differences within 3-10 points).

84 is a great fasting number, however. Are you concerned? Why are you getting your A1c's testing if your fasting numbers and post-prandials are well within normal range (not trying to be nosy! just curious about if there is a particular reason for concern, in which case, maybe my answer to your query would be different)

I think it is much more likely that you are getting post-prandial lows because of the natural release of insulin after eating, which in someone who is not diabetic, would lower your blood glucose to about the range you are experiencing, which is what it is supposed to do (even when consuming very low carb).

So my guess is that 2T of cream, which = 1 gram of carb, triggered a small insulin response (as it should!), and corrected it a very tiny amount, giving you a low number. As you get up and about, moving, etc, the number goes down as your muscles take in the glucose in your blood (since they can take in glucose without aid of insulin).

I hope this is helpful!
cavewoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone! I am not worried. Just curious really. I'm still questioning methods to see how certain foods affect me...Is testing post prandial blood glucose a good way to figure out if I may have problems with dairy?

I want to get my a1c tested just for good measure.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Sensitivity to dairy won't show up in your post prandial numbers, really -- although milk and yogurt are in high in carb (so you might get some spikes, but otherwise, no).

You could have a dairy sensitivity and still get great numbers. I would say the best way is to see how you feel after cutting it out. Try leaving it out for a week or two, then adding it back, and seeing if it makes you feel crappy.

Generally, a gluometer is just helpful for measuring how foods affect your blood sugar, not how inflammatory, etc, they are. Good luck!
Old 12-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

So let's say I want to see how much of an insulin response my homemade kefir triggers....

I test fasting BG, Then eat the kefir, test an hour later, then two hours later, and look for what results?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Yep, you got it!

So, test before you eat. Then, approximately an after hour drinking the kefir, see what your "spike" is -- that means how high that food raised your blood sugar. Your blood sugar usually gets highest at about the 1 hour mark, which is why you test then, but that is not necessarily accurate. Some people spike sooner than that, some people after. I spike at about the 45 min mark, then start to go down. If you want to be really hard core, test every fifteen minutes after you eat whatever food you are testing to find your peak.

At the 2 hour mark, you want your numbers to be back down to normal or normalish (which suggests your pancreas and insulin are functioning normally). If you are still high, it might be something to see a doctor about.

So, at 1 hour, (or whatever your peak is), you want to be no higher than 140 (that is the line at which beta cell damage starts to happen, leading to pooped pancreas, then diabetes)

At 2 hrs, no greater than 110.

Personally, I don't eat any food that spikes me more than 25 points. So if my fasting is 75, if I eat a food, I expect for my one hour number to be about 100. If it is higher than that, I won't eat that food any more (or eat it in lower quantities).
Old 12-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Thank you so much!!!!!