Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Temptation? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/818219-temptation.html)

unna 12-06-2013 01:11 AM

Temptation?

This may change, but I'm currently feeling absolutely no temptation or craving for any food that would not knock me out of NK (sugary, high carb).

In fact, the food I eat is the food I want to eat and look forward to eating everyday....

For those of you who have been doing this longer than I have, do you still feel this way?

Punkin 12-06-2013 07:11 AM

I felt this way in the beginning. I think for me it was because of the shock of adding fat to my diet. I also completely lost my appetite. It didn't last long though, and through a ton of experimenting, I eventually found a diet that made sense and helped me to not overeat and binge. Now I just have to see if I can maintain my weight and still feel the way I feel now. The other thing that I like now is that my food choices are more about nutrition and if it takes an extra few minutes for me to make something healthy, this happens. Before I would reach into the cupboard and take handfuls of cereal or crackers in response to hunger. And lets not talk about keeping things like chocolate or mint chip ice cream in the house. I have even managed to binge on high fat foods like nuts and cheese. Those days are long gone now. My only challenge now is parties and social functions.

You may not get to that point where the high fat novelty wears off, which would be great, but if you do I can share some strategies that I found which helped. The one great thing about when I first when low carb, high fat, was that I lost my appetite and cravings and could easily eat under my daily intake without feeling deprived. If you have to lose excess body fat, it is definitely an advantage to know about that WOE.

unna 12-07-2013 02:46 AM

I firmly believe the "novelty" will wear off, to a certain degree.... I think our bodies require different nutrients at different times.

I don't think I can buy that soluble fiber that you write about in Germany... It sounds interesting.

Punkin 12-07-2013 06:08 AM

I started LCing a year ago, and even though I loved being able to now eat fat, I found it really difficult to do low carb in the NA culture. Our diet seems ridiculously high in carbs, unless you make everything yourself at home. And I found myself eating A LOT of salads. How many salads can one person eat? The other issue is that I have a low daily requirement, a woman my age is around 1400 to 1500 cal/day. So I can't eat too much protein because those calories start wracking up as easily as the fat calories do. Fats are easy to eat as dressings and sauces, but you need something to put them on. The only thing that would send me over my calorie limit was a low calorie vegetable. Then I started getting comments from people like: "your only eating a salad for lunch/dinner?! Have you turned into an aneorexic?" People just didn't seem to understand that salads can have just as many calories as a sandwich when it includes and ounce of cheese and a full fat dressing. A large cesar salad can have 800cal in it. I found it really frusterating. Even though low carb was like a miracle diet for me because it meant I could easily maintain my weight without having to exercise like a crazy person, it caused me a lot of grief.

I worked so hard to try to figure out how to eat Low carb, and fit in with your culture's diet. I have decided to call my way of eating "gluten free, whole foods." The gluten free means that I am basically not eating bread or bread products unless I make them myself. And the whole foods is the NK safe foods.

This is just my theory about food, not necessarily accurate or founded on any research 8)
But I think prehistoric man was more of a scavenger, they ate when food was around and sometimes they went hungry. So they went through feast/famine stages which is why we have such things as the insulin response. Also, they probably ate foods with high fibre and water content which keep them feeling much fuller and maintained blood sugar stability. Processed foods are low in both fiber and water, and are more calorie dense. Which means that you can eat a handful of crackers before your brain even registers that you have had food. There was a time when I was making coffee gelatin for desert and putting a cream sauce on it, and it made me uncomfortably full. Gelatin is mostly water. Also things like high calorie nuts these days are shelled and sold in containers. A handful is a 10s commitment, where as our ancestors would have had to first collect them, remove the tannins, and then shell them. I read somewhere that it takes 2 - 3 days to remove the tannins in the wild, not exactly a 10s event. Where I live we have chipmunks and I watch them spend all summer collecting and storing food for the winter. And it seems to take a lot of energy and time. Once they have a den full of food, then they can hibernate and survive the winter. When I look around my house, I think, we are in the "fall mode" where we have definitely collected a den full of food! Then when some of the stock gets a bit low, like we run out of one specific brand of pasta or one type of oil, we immediately run out and buy more! So we are always fully stocked. Which means our bodies are probably always in storage mode. We are either storing the food on our bodies (fat) or storing it in our house. No wonder we have the potential to get fat.

I plan on doing a little experiment with myself to see if I could actually go without food for a couple of days by trying to live in the wild and see how hard it actually is to overeat having to rely on own ability to forge for food. It sounds crazy but I want to give it a try.

Punkin 12-07-2013 06:10 AM

Oops, by the way I forgot to mention, flaxseeds, chia seeds and psyllium husks also contain soluble fibre, you could probably make some type of pudding or cereal out of them. I used to do it with psyllium husks but I found I had to throw it in the food processor to break up the fiber. I like the glucomannan powder much better. I get mine online.

MtherGoos 12-07-2013 03:14 PM

I've been eating this way for 10 months now, and I still find that I have little hunger and no cravings. I can smell fresh baked bread or donuts and I'll think, "Oh that smells good", but I don't have a craving for it or a strong desire to eat it. I even went to a See's Candy Store this morning and had no trouble at all saying no the free samples.

unna 12-08-2013 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtherGoos (Post 16709827)
I've been eating this way for 10 months now, and I still find that I have little hunger and no cravings. I can smell fresh baked bread or donuts and I'll think, "Oh that smells good", but I don't have a craving for it or a strong desire to eat it. I even went to a See's Candy Store this morning and had no trouble at all saying no the free samples.

I hope I have an experience like yours! :)

clackley 12-08-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unna (Post 16708004)
This may change, but I'm currently feeling absolutely no temptation or craving for any food that would not knock me out of NK (sugary, high carb).

In fact, the food I eat is the food I want to eat and look forward to eating everyday....

For those of you who have been doing this longer than I have, do you still feel this way?

I am in my fifth year of n.k. and still feel this way. Probably more so than in the beginning. The key for me is simple. Absolutely no grains or starchy veg - ever. Although sugar sneaks in here and there, it is in minute quantities.

The second thing for me is that I LOVE what I do get to eat.

Thirdly and probably the most important thing is how good I feel eating this way. All I have to do is remember how I felt the day before I started n.k. and that brings things into focus.

blablues 12-09-2013 03:15 PM

I would say I still had cravings for lets say...the first month? Since then, four months in, I don't really get cravings at all. I sat through thankgiving with my family's regular spread and happily buttered up my turkey slices and ate my salad with fatty dressing while ignoring the mashed potatoes and stuffing with no problem, and ignored the desserts afterwards in favor of a Quest bar. :)

I actually kept a bag of hersheys kisses in the house because I could have just one and it would be fine. But they just taste horrible now, don't want them at all.

CuriousCat 12-09-2013 04:52 PM

I am only 2 weeks in but after the first week no cravings. Second week I discovered the high fat option and coconut oil in particular and now I have a hard time eating enough to meet caloric goals. Just not hungry or craving. I hope it stays this way because I feel so much better.

dee 12-09-2013 08:50 PM

I have no scientific way of knowing if I am in ketosis or not but i suspect i am. I barely have an appetite. I am getting bored though. I think not being able to have dairy is really limiting my selection. I have craved carbs but with the exception of Saturday, I feel like I'm doing well. So far so good

MerryKate 12-09-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtherGoos (Post 16709827)
I've been eating this way for 10 months now, and I still find that I have little hunger and no cravings. I can smell fresh baked bread or donuts and I'll think, "Oh that smells good", but I don't have a craving for it or a strong desire to eat it.

I stuck with NK for the better part of 9 months and I was like this - even doughnuts didn't faze me, and I love those. Sadly, I went through a high stress situation this summer, and had one meal with a large amount of hidden carbs, and the combination of the two kicked me out of ketosis and set off serious carb cravings. :/

I've also found that even while In ketosis I experience cravings in conjunction with hormone fluctuations. What's funny is that it's usually a different food each time, and all of them have been foods that are usually ok for NK, but in large amounts they'll throw me off.

MtherGoos 12-10-2013 03:02 PM

Dee, why can't you eat dairy? Does it adversely affect you?

MerryKate, I'm sorry to hear that happened. I know that's why I'm afraid to eat ANYTHING that is off plan, I'm afraid it could possibly set off a binge. Are you back on track now?

dee 12-10-2013 04:17 PM

@Mthergoos: I don't seem to tolerate dairy well. I'm not sure if it's an allergy or what it is but I find I am very itchy afterwards as well sciatica and arthritis symptoms flare up. Also notice I get brain fog and gassy. Overall, a bad deal LOL.

MtherGoos 12-10-2013 04:18 PM

I'm sorry Dee! That's got to be hard!

unna 12-11-2013 12:49 AM

Dee - I also sympathize. If it makes you feel better, peanut butter, which is my favorite food in the entire world, makes me extremely itchy.

Despite this, I've still walked around the entire grocery store with it in my cart, weighing the pros and cons of eating it. In most cases I put it back and do not buy it.

Punkin 12-11-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unna (Post 16713941)
Dee - I also sympathize. If it makes you feel better, peanut butter, which is my favorite food in the entire world, makes me extremely itchy.

Despite this, I've still walked around the entire grocery store with it in my cart, weighing the pros and cons of eating it. In most cases I put it back and do not buy it.

Have you tried any other nut butters? I make them myself by throwing nuts in the food processor. I do like peanuts but sometimes I take a break from them. With some of them I add a bit of oil to make them blend better. Cashew butter tastes a lot like peanut butter, so I will use that sometimes too.

unna 12-11-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16714074)
Have you tried any other nut butters? I make them myself by throwing nuts in the food processor. I do like peanuts but sometimes I take a break from them. With some of them I add a bit of oil to make them blend better. Cashew butter tastes a lot like peanut butter, so I will use that sometimes too.

I can buy other nut butters in specialty stores here, but they are quite expensive. And one time I made nut butter in my food processor, and it took SO long, I thought I was going to break it!

Anyway, I don't need nut butter...

MerryKate 12-15-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtherGoos (Post 16713400)
MerryKate, I'm sorry to hear that happened. I know that's why I'm afraid to eat ANYTHING that is off plan, I'm afraid it could possibly set off a binge. Are you back on track now?

Pretty much, although I had a blip for a few days on vacation last week. It was enough to remind me why I do better living low carb. I discovered that keeping a 16-hour fasting window helped me get back into ketosis more quickly than in the past. I've also found my temptations are greatly reduced when I stick to eating only 8 hours of the day...maybe because I can barely fit two meals in. :)

MerryKate 12-15-2013 02:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Punkin (Post 16714074)
Have you tried any other nut butters? I make them myself by throwing nuts in the food processor.

I second you on this - I love making macadamia nut butter. It doesn't take as much power from a food processor, especially if you add a bit of extra macadamia nut oil (say, 1-2 TB per batch). A TB of macadamia nut butter is very satiating, and it tastes great in yogurt.

Patience 12-19-2013 06:23 AM

I'd be tempted to eat the nuts before they became butter!
No nuts for me for long short-term.
Most of you know this I am sure, but peanuts are a legume not a nut.
Cashews and peanuts are among the higher carb nut butter choices.
Not to say I don't like them both, but my first choice would be roasted salted almond butter. Even that I am avoiding for now. My fav fatbomb is made with almond butter. Maybe it can be a little holiday indulgence . . . I can buy a small portion from the bulk section. But most likely not this year.

Punkin 12-23-2013 04:44 AM

I have a serious issue with nuts. Basically because they are so high calorie. I find I can easily over-eat nuts. Using the butters as sauces helps, but that is basically all I can deal with. I even tried buying them in shells so that I would have to work harder to eat them. I didn't matter, I still eat more than a serving when I snack on them. Having them in the shell doesn't stop it. I'd like to include them in my diet in a more realistic way but right now, they can only be in sauces.

Patience 12-23-2013 10:45 AM

That's the way I am around nuts, too.
I have some almonds under the tree for me. Fortunately it is a snack sized serving (I peeked).

lovetoknit 12-27-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unna (Post 16713941)

I too get a reaction from peanuts. I only ate 2 peanuts a few days ago and got a slight headache. I always knew that I was sensitive to them, but I did not know how sensitive.
Carolyn

Patience 12-27-2013 01:28 PM

I ate both servings at once (two servings in the bag) . . . . not great damage but reminds my why I don't keep nuts in the house. Who was I kidding?