Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 01:24 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
HIIT/ Crossfit Exercise and NK

I know many complain about not being able to do Crossfit as well on NK, but I just wanted to say my Crossfit has not suffered one bit.... and I'm even in the "beginning" phases of ketosis again, not in "deep ketosis".

And last night, I already made a noticeable strength gain on the pull-up (which could either be due to muscle growth or fat/water loss or both).

Besides Crossfit, I also go jogging regularly, brisk walking, and strength training with heavier weights. I haven't yet suffered once in any of these areas. Anyway, I'm no athlete, but am relatively fit. I would know if my performance was decreased.

By Crossfit, I mean that I go to an actual Crossfit Box 2x per week and do the workouts, many RX.

What has your experience been with Exercise and NK?
unna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I used to be a competitive athlete, and my performance suffered greatly when I started LC. However, this was more to do with poor turnaround time, and competing at a high level of competition. As far as just overall exercise, I don't find it all that bad. For me, LC is better for my health, so I gave up sports on a "competitive" level. All it means is that I need more recovery days and can't work out as long. It doesn't matter that much that I can't keep up with other competitive athletes my age. I prefer to stay low carb for the other benefits. Being a competitive athlete isn't all that important to me.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

That is interesting.

Can I ask what sport you used to compete in? (or at least, what type of sport was it)
Old 12-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Triathlon and running in the summer and alpine and XC skiing in the winter. With the exception of alpine ski racing, the others are endurance sports. I still do XC ski racing but I can't keep up with the other woman my age. I am pretty sure it is because of low muscle glycogen storage.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

I haven't done an all-out 100% sprint yet (such as is done in running or XC skiing). My crossfit trainings are always sprint-like, but not at an intense, competitive XC skiing level.

What happens when you load up your glycogen storage before a race?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:48 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I never had to "load" up because I had a high carb diet when I was racing. Now if I were to race, it might be difficult because your muscles use a lot of stored glycogen at "race pace." A well trained runner, out for a jog, would burn mostly fat. However, if you are running hard and you don't want to talk, then you are burning at least 50% glycogen, maybe more. So it probably depends on how long you are out for. I don't have any problem doing small sessions of weight lifting (less than an hour with a lot of rest). But if I go out XC skiing and do a lot of hill climbing, it takes a lot out of me. Because I like staying low carb, with no refeeds, I haven't really tried going out after a high carb session. I have been below 50g/day for over a year now.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I had a crossfit course last night. I still never felt weak or like puking. It lasted 20 minutes:

4 rounds:
30 Overhead press (45lbs)
50 air squat
30 pushups

Maybe I'll crash later... we'll see. I actually find that I'm improving.

What made you decide that you'd rather have a low-carb diet than be in competitive sports?
Old 12-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
I'll be doing a strength training hiit class tonight. Haven't been since my BK have been steadily in the zone, so I'll let y'all know how it goes. In general, I find this sort of stuff easier when being in NK, too.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
I'll be doing a strength training hiit class tonight. Haven't been since my BK have been steadily in the zone, so I'll let y'all know how it goes. In general, I find this sort of stuff easier when being in NK, too.
Yeah - I keep expecting to crash all the sudden, b/c that is all people talk about only when they talk about doing HIIT while in a ketogenic state.... in reality, I seem to be doing absolutely fine ...

Let us know how it goes!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unna View Post
I had a crossfit course last night. I still never felt weak or like puking. It lasted 20 minutes:

4 rounds:
30 Overhead press (45lbs)
50 air squat
30 pushups

Maybe I'll crash later... we'll see. I actually find that I'm improving.

What made you decide that you'd rather have a low-carb diet than be in competitive sports?
My main reason for exercising was to keep the weight (fat off). I have had a weight problem ever since the age of 12 and the only thing that seemed to work for me was exercise. Mind you, back in the 80s they didn't know that low fat diets weren't very helpful for some people. The problem with competitive sports is that you tend to crave a lot of glucose (sugar) which for me just made my weight problem even worse. It seemed like every year I had to do more and more exercise just to keep my weight in the healthy range. The low carb diet seems to allow me to control my appetite and therefore weight, without having to exercise so much. I can also spend more time with my family. It just seems like a better way to live. And all I have had to do was pass on the sugar and eat more fat.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:14 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I should also mention, is that I have periodically had to drop out of doing competitive sports for reasons, like when I had my daughter. And what happened was the pounds packed on. For some reason what happens when I have to stop exercising, my appetite doesn't seem to adjust to the change in exercise. So I end up gaining back any weight that I have lost and/or even exceeding previous weight levels. So really in the long term, exercise for me does nothing. Because when I stop, I just gain back any weight that I have managed to keep off. I do not want to be exercising more than an hour a day 10yrs from now, so I decided that I better focus on a diet that works instead.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:36 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

My energy was pretty low last night for Hiit. I haven't been eating as much protein as I did in NK back in the spring. I could almost feel it! It's like my strength has diminished some since going lower protein (hovering around 50 or 60g on some days). Maybe I should up my protein. I going hiit to be much easier in the spring bout of NK. Oh and I woke up in the middle of the night starving, which is pretty unusual. It's only been a month in NK this time, so I may not be keto adapted yet
Old 12-07-2013, 02:35 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Green: It is a bad signal if you are waking up in the middle of the night to eat.

I tried Intermittent Fasting for a few months, just to see how it felt. It wasn't bad, sometimes it was even good, but I found myself a few times waking up in the middle of the night to eat. So, I think I'll skip it for now.

If I "hit a wall" at Crossfit, I'm going to do a carb-refeed. Actually, I'm going to do a refeed if/when I have a strong craving for carbs. I haven't had this yet.

In the end, it is just most important that you listen to how you are feeling and nourish yourself!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I do not want to be exercising more than an hour a day 10yrs from now, so I decided that I better focus on a diet that works instead.
This is simply stated, but so smart. I agree completely. I love exercising and setting exercise goals (like pull-ups, etc), but I don't want to exercise because I feel like if I don't I will get fat.

And I sort of started to feel like that after a few months of substantially increasing carbs (from NK to paleo).
Old 12-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Do you think it means I need to eat more?
Old 12-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
Do you think it means I need to eat more?
In my experience, there are two reasons to wake up to eat during the night:

1. anxiety or nervousness

2. not enough calories during the day
Old 12-08-2013, 12:35 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
I should also mention, is that I have periodically had to drop out of doing competitive sports for reasons, like when I had my daughter. And what happened was the pounds packed on. For some reason what happens when I have to stop exercising, my appetite doesn't seem to adjust to the change in exercise. So I end up gaining back any weight that I have lost and/or even exceeding previous weight levels. So really in the long term, exercise for me does nothing. Because when I stop, I just gain back any weight that I have managed to keep off. I do not want to be exercising more than an hour a day 10yrs from now, so I decided that I better focus on a diet that works instead.
I don't think this is abnormal.

In Germany, I've seen that a lot of the ex-profi soccer players have this problem. And it sounds like your sports are similar to soccer in terms of length and calorie expenditure.

One of the most famous German ex-profi soccer players, Oliver Kahn, is even the male spokesperson for Weight Watchers here (he claims he lost the weight through WWs).
Old 12-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: blablues
Stats: 250/190/160
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: July 2013
I run, do Hot Yoga and do weights mixed with sprints,etc.(kind of crossfitish) with a personal trainer. I find that being on a nutritional ketosis diet (for the past four months) has actually given me more energy for my workouts. Of course exercise during the first week just didn't happen with the keto flu, but has been fine since then. I do have to be very careful to get enough salt before/after a Hot Yoga session or a long run or I get a horrible headache/nausea. My speed has gotten better over the past 4 months of running, but I think that's just from regular training and the weight loss of 20lb.

And there was a low-carber that won an ultra marathon recently - not sure if I can link to the article but you can find it googling "Low Carber Wins Ultramarathon".
blablues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

blablues: I had another crossfit class last night. Like you, I feel like I'm actually performing better and have more energy for the entire workout. I will keep in mind the need for salt....