Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   High Fat Chat for DECEMBER! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/817968-high-fat-chat-december.html)

clackley 12-02-2013 05:47 AM

High Fat Chat for DECEMBER!
 
Hard to believe it is December already but here it is! Lots of challenges this month with social situations but being prepared is the best strategy in my opinion.

Mimosa23 12-03-2013 12:15 PM

Subscribing! Will pop by tomorrow for some chat.

Green 12-03-2013 02:45 PM

Checked BK this morning for the first time since my stay with the parents for 5 days.
BK at 0.7. Not super high, but I'll take it. I wanted to weigh for the first time since starting almost a month ago, but I chickened out. I'm nervous because I recently quit taking spironolactone (which acts like a diuretic) and I have gained a visible amount of water weight. I don't know why I'm so afraid of the scale! Any others like me around?

unna 12-03-2013 11:48 PM

I saw an interesting documentary yesterday on the Bodi tribe in Africa. All of the members were super fit (men and women alike), and their main diet staples seemed to be cow blood and milk. I looked up the nutritional content of cow blood, and it is surprisingly packed with protein: 100g contains 18g of protein. That is basically the equivalent of a whey protein shake. Anyway, with this diet, I would bet they are in a state of ketosis!

A few of the male Bodi members remove themselves from the tribe for a few months to become very fat. All they do everyday is gorge (still only the blood and milk) and try to move as little as possible. At the end of their gorge, after they have gained significant weight, they rejoin the group in a dance festival.

Apparently, the men gorge to ensure their future. If they become very fat, they will have better chances of surviving any famine in the future. They break their metabolism on purpose.

After the dance is over, they enter back into the tribe and slowly lose the weight to become a normal size again (still on the same diet). They don't pay attention to their portions, instead they focus on moving around.

First of all, the process of the men gaining weight looked quite painful.... I'm guessing because they need massive amounts of ketogenic food constantly to ever gain weight....

Mimosa23 12-04-2013 01:07 AM

Unna, I saw that documentary too! Found it fascinating. Also, the guy who was the protagonist (Richard Gress) trekked alone and fed on small rodents and sometimes amphibians like frogs, which he also consumed alive when needed. He looked fit and strong, and fed himself the same diet as the tribe were consuming when he was with them.

I find traditional diets interesting. They all looked like they had good health and amazing teeth too.

Next Sunday is the second part of the documentary. Am definitely watching!

On another note: we currently have Christmas market time, and the city where I work as well as the town where I live have them. Lots of mulled wine and such! They also sell crepes, sweets, sugared nuts, etc. I'm sticking with some good grilled sausages and pork belly to eat and maybe I'll have one or two mulled wines this year... I'm definitely not drinking too many. They contain tons of sugar and alcohol, so will be a sure way to gain lots of water weight! The place where they sell the best mulled wine in my town also sell glasses of dry Riesling wine, so I guess I am able to indulge without too much damage should I fancy it.

I am sure to be out of NK at the moment after my weekend at my parents' house. I'm trying to get back into ketosis quickly, and will measure BK on Sunday to see if one week of being very careful will get me back to where I was.

unna 12-04-2013 03:29 AM

I agree that Richard Gress is definitely healthier than the normal German man on his diet of frogs, rodents, grasshoppers, and tribal food!

The only part about Richard Gress that bothers me is how he bonds with the tribal children by giving them hard candy, which they of course have never had before.... I hope they don't get any cavities!

I plan on avoiding the spiced wine this year. It always gives me a terrible sugar headache. It truly gets sweeter and sweeter every year. I usually just take a hot tea with me. I find I don't miss the spiced wine experience at all.

I plan on making a keto eggnog at my in-laws house this Xmas... just for me, as the others will find it too unhealthy, I'm sure! I don't like the German equivalent of eggnog, which is called Egg-liquor. It is a super sweet, yellow, sirupy liquor that you just warm up as is out of the bottle. It is not half as good as warm, creamy eggnog with nutmeg. The Germans don't seem to know what real eggnog is at all, somehow it never caught on here.

dee 12-04-2013 06:08 AM

Good morning folks! I'm happy to report I am down a couple of lbs this morning plus I slept most of the night! All this while still taking 25mg of trazadone (for insomnia). Previously I couldn't sleep thru the night on 25mg. And the stuff seems to make me gain weight. I was up in the 90s a week and a half ago. Want to get off this stuff. Despite keeping my carbs around 60-70ish...I'm actually losing a bit. Also the eye twitching ive had or over 2 months seems better too. It's a good day, tater. Lol. Hope you all are doing well today.

unna 12-06-2013 12:41 AM

Congrats Dee!

I'm happy to report that I just started my period this month and, only after a few weeks of keto, experienced almost no pms (hormonal zits, terrible moods). Also, the first 24 hours of my period had been becoming quite terrible since I went off keto... I'm happy to say that I haven't had any painful cramps at all.

I knew keto had a positive effect on my periods, but I had no idea it would happen this fast!

Mimosa23 12-06-2013 02:38 AM

It's snowing here. Yesterday we had a pretty awful storm, and now it's snowing. YUK. I am not ready for real winter!
Got my brother and sister coming over this weekend, so we planned to do lots. Got a nice duck defrosting so we'll roast that tomorrow evening for dinner. I may make some cauli mash to go with it and some roast vegetables too.

unna 12-06-2013 02:51 AM

The storm wasn't so bad here.

My husband is coming home from a 2 week business trip. I don't have anything planned for him! Mimosa, you are so much more thoughtful than I am! I would highly recommend making nomnom paleo's asian warm brussel sprouts slaw. It is amazing, and you can cut the orange juice in half.

I suppose I'll just cook a meat and veggie as usual and just add some potatoes for him.... sometimes I am really quite lazy in the kitchen.

LolaGetz 12-06-2013 02:59 AM

Unna, I wonder if you'd share the recipe for your keto eggnog. Do you add any alcohol to it (such as brandy, bourbon or rum)?

unna 12-06-2013 03:16 AM

Lola: I plan on modifying Alton Brown's traditional recipe (raw form): Eggnog Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

Instead of 1/3 cups + sugar, I am going to try two, non-heaping teapoons of sugar (one will go in the yolks, and the other in the egg whites. You could make it sweeter if you like fake sugar or stevia - I don't. Then I plan on adding a small amount of high quality bourbon.

I used to work in a cocktail bar as an undergrad. I cannot stress how important it is to spend extra money on the more expensive alcohol, if you can. You could ruin this drink with cheap bourbon.

LolaGetz 12-06-2013 03:31 AM

Oh, thank you so much, unna. That sounds delicious. I wonder if you could omit the sugar as bourbon has such a smooth, almost sweet flavor. It tastes sweet to me anyway. I have a fondness for Wild Turkey which is not the most expensive and yet it is marvelous. Although I've given up my evening cocktail, having decided it stalls my weight loss, I would like to enjoy an eggnog on Christmas Eve and may just indulge with your recipe. Thanks again.

unna 12-07-2013 01:48 AM

Did anyone see the success story on Mark's Daily Apple Yesterday? He lost his weight on a primal version of NK!..... his wife even joined him on the diet and lost weight too (though she was already thin).

Checkoutchick 12-11-2013 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unna (Post 16705252)
I agree that Richard Gress is definitely healthier than the normal German man on his diet of frogs, rodents, grasshoppers, and tribal food!

The only part about Richard Gress that bothers me is how he bonds with the tribal children by giving them hard candy, which they of course have never had before.... I hope they don't get any cavities!

I plan on avoiding the spiced wine this year. It always gives me a terrible sugar headache. It truly gets sweeter and sweeter every year. I usually just take a hot tea with me. I find I don't miss the spiced wine experience at all.

I plan on making a keto eggnog at my in-laws house this Xmas... just for me, as the others will find it too unhealthy, I'm sure! I don't like the German equivalent of eggnog, which is called Egg-liquor. It is a super sweet, yellow, sirupy liquor that you just warm up as is out of the bottle. It is not half as good as warm, creamy eggnog with nutmeg. The Germans don't seem to know what real eggnog is at all, somehow it never caught on here.

Actually, the German version of eggnog (Eierlikör) is very nice. And you're not meant to heat it at all! However, it's not on any Keto List :sad:
'We' do however do many Keto friendly Wurst :yummy: :jumpjoy:

Checkoutchick 12-11-2013 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LolaGetz (Post 16708041)
Unna, I wonder if you'd share the recipe for your keto eggnog. Do you add any alcohol to it (such as brandy, bourbon or rum)?


Try this:
Keto Whipped Egg Nog - Caveman Keto

I've got a cream whipper, they're amazing. Alcoholic whipped cream, Russian Coffee..... They should be easily available in Germany.

unna 12-11-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkoutchick (Post 16714013)
Actually, the German version of eggnog (Eierlikör) is very nice. And you're not meant to heat it at all! However, it's not on any Keto List :sad:

I hate Eierlikör... my MIL likes to make a cake in which she pours it on top of the icing. Even when I was eating everything, I would still scrape off the German eggnog.

Maybe my problem is that I compare it to American eggnog, which is so thick and creamy and fresh....

Btw, I REALLY need to invest in a cream whipper!

Checkoutchick 12-11-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unna (Post 16714504)
I hate Eierlikör... my MIL likes to make a cake in which she pours it on top of the icing. Even when I was eating everything, I would still scrape off the German eggnog.

Maybe my problem is that I compare it to American eggnog, which is so thick and creamy and fresh....

Btw, I REALLY need to invest in a cream whipper!

Out of curiousity, do you live in Unna? My hometown is Kamen, just a few km from Unna.

SuzanneM 12-11-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkoutchick (Post 16714027)
Try this:
Keto Whipped Egg Nog - Caveman Keto

I've got a cream whipper, they're amazing. Alcoholic whipped cream, Russian Coffee..... They should be easily available in Germany.

That sounds really good, I want eggnog now and even more I want a cream whipper :love:

Checkoutchick 12-12-2013 01:54 AM

Just finished another 3-day-FF and I'm 2 1/2 lb down :clap:
So I'm now 10lb from goal :cool: feeling a bit strange :hyst:
The hardest part is done, now the fine tuning begins :p

Mimosa23 12-12-2013 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkoutchick (Post 16714843)
Out of curiousity, do you live in Unna? My hometown is Kamen, just a few km from Unna.


I'm not too far away from Kamen, I live in Guetersloh...

So not much on the food front to report. I'm retaining boatloads of water at the moment, have bowel trouble and feel generally crappy. I'm on some really aggressive antibiotics to sort out a problem with my gums, which is killing good bacteria too.

Trying to eat as many fermented and cultured foods as possible without going over my carb and protein allowance. I'm taking a really good probiotic as well, but I guess it's going to take a while before my gut is back to normal!

Checkoutchick 12-12-2013 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16715269)
I'm not too far away from Kamen, I live in Guetersloh...

So not much on the food front to report. I'm retaining boatloads of water at the moment, have bowel trouble and feel generally crappy. I'm on some really aggressive antibiotics to sort out a problem with my gums, which is killing good bacteria too.

Trying to eat as many fermented and cultured foods as possible without going over my carb and protein allowance. I'm taking a really good probiotic as well, but I guess it's going to take a while before my gut is back to normal!

I wish you well :hugs: and hope you can get off those meds soon :sick:
It's great to 'meet' someone from 'home' :shake:

Mimosa23 12-12-2013 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkoutchick (Post 16715483)
I wish you well :hugs: and hope you can get off those meds soon :sick:
It's great to 'meet' someone from 'home' :shake:

Funny thing though, I'm Dutch, LOL! I moved here four years ago, after living in the UK for 13 years and Spain for two... It was work that got me here, but I think love will keep me in Germany! That, and I love living here. It is close to the Dutch culture, maybe a bit more regimented than the Dutch, but generally very similar. I really feel at home here and I think the quality of life is excellent. I'm now spoiled for life, as I noticed when I went to London for a weekend and was moaning about the lack of quality of everything over there, LOL!

dee 12-12-2013 09:41 AM

Down to 183.2 this morning. The Scale REALLY wanted to give me something in the 182 range...it hovered and then zipped up. Even my scale wants to hang on to the weight LOL. I'm doing good so far. I've lost at least 5 lbs plus the extra I was gaining in Nov due to meds. I was at 193 one day! 3 lbs from my highest ever wt. OMG. I was horrified. and now I'm 10 lbs lighter than that now! Can't wait to get in to the 170s and leave the 180s behind forever (well THIS time forever!!!)

Green 12-12-2013 10:30 AM

Awesome, Dee!

I haven't weighed myself in over a month. Just trying to focus on how good this WOE makes me feel. Plus had to go off a medication that caused some edema, so I don't want to be disheartened if I haven't shown a loss yet.

I'm getting a dunk test on Saturday, y'all!! so excited. I just need to know what my LBM is.

Green 12-12-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkoutchick (Post 16715264)
Just finished another 3-day-FF and I'm 2 1/2 lb down :clap:
So I'm now 10lb from goal :cool: feeling a bit strange :hyst:
The hardest part is done, now the fine tuning begins :p


Amazing!!!!!!!
How much protein do you eat on a typical FF day? also how many cals?

Green 12-12-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Green (Post 16715851)

I haven't weighed myself in over a month. Just trying to focus on how good this WOE makes me feel. Plus had to go off a medication that caused some edema, so I don't want to be disheartened if I haven't shown a loss yet.

UGHHHHHH I don't know why I just weighed myself... 149. I knew it would be higher than when I started. Here's to hoping it is indeed just water weight.

Checkoutchick 12-12-2013 01:48 PM

[QUOTE=Green;16715854]Amazing!!!!!!!
How much protein do you eat on a typical FF day? also how many cals?[/QUOTE

Day 1 I managed 90% fat, ca 1100 cals
Day 2 86% fat, 937 cals
Day 3 84% fat, ca 1200 cals
The difference was made up of protein and very small amounts of carbs, below 15g

unna 12-13-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16715528)
It was work that got me here, but I think love will keep me in Germany! That, and I love living here. It is close to the Dutch culture, maybe a bit more regimented than the Dutch, but generally very similar. I really feel at home here and I think the quality of life is excellent. I'm now spoiled for life, as I noticed when I went to London for a weekend and was moaning about the lack of quality of everything over there, LOL!

If I weren't married, I would have started learning Dutch and moved to the Netherlands. I'm glad that I learned fluent German, and I do love Germany, but I REALLY love the Dutch culture.

They are just so cool ... for me, they are like a crazy mix between the Germans and Americans.

Luckily I live close to enough to visit frequently. There is a new paleo bakery in Amsterdam that I really want to try.

unna 12-13-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Checkoutchick (Post 16714843)
Out of curiousity, do you live in Unna? My hometown is Kamen, just a few km from Unna.

I think I visited Kamen once to go shopping on a Sunday (Verkaufsoffener Sonntag). I live very close!

Nice to have you on the boards!


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:15 PM.