Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Checkoutchick
Stats: 199/151/143
WOE: Atkins (NANY)
Start Date: 17/06/13
Increased hunger while nearing goal weight?

I've been experiencing increased hunger over the last two or so weeks and don't understand WHY
I've been doing Atkins Induction/NK since June '13. Until very recently my appetite was suppressed as expected. I've not 'cheated' or eaten 'off plan'. Been tracking pretty much every day trying hard to not overshoot my cals and macros, which are:
1450 cals / 25g carbs / 75g pro / 117g fat
I'm 5'5" and my Weightloss has slowed down enormously, ie 1lb in November
I'm about 14lb from my goal weight.
Today I carefully planned my meals, spreading them out throughout the day, finishing off with Bulletproof Coffee after work (21-00hrs). But I picked at a few olives on the way home, feeling hungry, plus I miscalculated my coffee, so I ended up having about 1650 cals
My blood ketones have dropped too, 0.1 fasted and 0.8 pm yesterday
I tried to get my protein lower but I REaLLY struggle with that, my body seems to demand protein up to a set point ie ca 70-80g.
WHY do I get HUNGRY
Checkoutchick is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkoutchick View Post
I've been experiencing increased hunger over the last two or so weeks and don't understand WHY
I've been doing Atkins Induction/NK since June '13. Until very recently my appetite was suppressed as expected. I've not 'cheated' or eaten 'off plan'. Been tracking pretty much every day trying hard to not overshoot my cals and macros, which are:
1450 cals / 25g carbs / 75g pro / 117g fat
I'm 5'5" and my Weightloss has slowed down enormously, ie 1lb in November
I'm about 14lb from my goal weight.
Today I carefully planned my meals, spreading them out throughout the day, finishing off with Bulletproof Coffee after work (21-00hrs). But I picked at a few olives on the way home, feeling hungry, plus I miscalculated my coffee, so I ended up having about 1650 cals
My blood ketones have dropped too, 0.1 fasted and 0.8 pm yesterday
I tried to get my protein lower but I REaLLY struggle with that, my body seems to demand protein up to a set point ie ca 70-80g.
WHY do I get HUNGRY
Maybe try lowering your carbs a bit to see if that helps. 25 carbs a day is too much for me.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
You are hungry because you are not in ketosis. You probably need to reduce your protein amounts. It seems that the longer a person eats low carb the better they are converting excess protein. Try lowering the protein to 65 grams and include all sources.

In my opinion, it is a waste of test strips to test anytime other than in the morning fasted state because you may be producing ketones from your food. Wait until you have changed up your protein and fat for a few days and then test in the fasted state.

It also seems to be very common to have weight loss slow drastically as one nears goal. I consider it practicing maintenance.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TishyLish68
Stats: 234.5/141.2/145 5 ft 5.5" 45YO
WOE: LC, no grains & Intermittent fasting
Start Date: February 2009
Lowering my carbs didn`t help me to get to goal, but reducing my calories did. But, if you`re already hungry that`s going to be a problem. It is extremely difficult, in my experience, to shed those last few lbs and also to maintain while you get there. It was hard for me to get used to the small portions it takes to maintain my weight now, as I was always a big eater. Our brains are conditioned to those gigantic portions and its very hard to overcome that mentality. I did intermittent fasting ( sorta eat stop eat) to get to goal and to maintain I do a 20-4 fast daily..20 hrs fasted, 4 hour eating window. This has helped me control my hunger immensely, as long as I stay low carb, when I do eat. This is not for everyone and I`m not suggesting that you fast, this is just what it took for me. I think everyone has to find there own way when it comes down to those last few pesky pounds and maintenance. I have found maintenance extremely challenging and have come to some realizations that have been hard to except. I will never be able to go up the carb ladder, so to speak, I will have to keep it no higher than about 25 -30 grams a day and no grains, always mindful of what I put in my mouth forever. But, I have found a way to do that and I`m happy and healthy and slim, which was my goal.
TishyLish68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Hey there Tish! Every time I see your avi, I think I know the location you are standing in.... I wonder if I am right. Is it in Toronto west side, Annette? If you would care not to answer, I understand. Btw, you look fabulous!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
it is my belief from my reading and experience, that we have about 6 months to lose weight when we start, and then our bodies have mustered their resistance and start a wholesale onslaught of hormones to try to stop the process. your body thinks you are starving and wants to put FINDING FOOD at the top of your to do list constantly. unfortunately, this bad hormonal mix will last for years, so it's a matter of figuring out how to deal with the hunger, etc.. I think we all are different that way, but you will work it out. best of luck!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
What you are describing fits my experience, RavenRose. About six months in I hit a big plateau. Fortunately I am not super hungry every day, it comes and goes. I am in it for the long haul, no going back . . . . how long will this stage last, according to your theory? Give me hope.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Thank you all for your replies
There's a lot to think about and figure out but I'm determined to get to my goal. I'm feeling in control again, -1lb this morning and I wasn't hungry tonight, and I kept to my boundaries
I think one of my problems is that I've lost just short of 40lb in 4 1/2 months and in my head I figure the last 15-18lb have to come off just as quick. But unfortunately reality doesn't work like that and I have to stop setting myself 'deadlines'...
Old 11-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Two things that helped me were a fat fast, almost to the point of where I was only eat fat, but that isn't really healthy in my opinion. The other thing was adding more fiber to my diet. Soluble fiber tends to kill appetite more than insoluble, but they both tend to be ok. For example if you have to do low cal, you can't really make a lunch with a lot of fat because you go over your calories pretty quickly. I will make a spinach dip with half and half and glucomannan powder and spices. The glucomannan powder which is soluble fiber, tends to kill my appetite and helps regulate my blood sugar which keeps me from overeating. I prefer that to something like a bullet proof coffee, which although works, doesn't make me feel like I have had a meal. I also like to eat some veggies because they make me feel healthy.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #10
Chatty Cathy

That's only good if you count calories which I don't. I also have to be very careful about the amount of vegetables. Fortunately, I have found I can be pretty happy with using them mostly as flavourings and not a dish per say.

On the other hand, I use bpc as a meal daily! Today, it was breakfast and lunch. I am just now, starting to feel a bit hungry. As an aside, I was listening to Dave Asprey (the one who made bpc popular) and he explains that those that have hunger as described here is a function of leptin resistance. That condition develops before insulin resistance.

Last edited by clackley; 11-30-2013 at 01:22 PM..
Old 12-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Checkout, I wish you continuing success!

I have to fiddle around with sometimes eating more than my regular plan, and sometimes eating less. This helps me in overcoming the dynamic Ravenrose described.

For example, once in a while I eat very little, or have a really low protein day, or eat much more than usual. I keep to the foods in my food plan, but change the amounts.

All the best to you!
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: TishyLish68
Stats: 234.5/141.2/145 5 ft 5.5" 45YO
WOE: LC, no grains & Intermittent fasting
Start Date: February 2009
Clackley, do you remember the tv show awhile back on CBC called " The Week the Women Went" ? Well, I`m standing at the Train Station Inn and Restaurant that was featured in that show....Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia....I know that`s a mouth full. Thanks for the compliment.
TishyLish68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
Chatty Cathy

I remember that show! I am not sure I have ever been to Tatamagouche but I certai ly have been in that area many times - used to have a family cottage very close to Truro and visited family in Halifax as a child.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quick update, I've managed to drop my protein levels and after a couple of days or so, my appetite is rapidly decreasing again
Cals stayed pretty much the same as I'm keeping my fat ramped up
Hoping for a new 'all-time-low' on the scales this week
Old 12-03-2013, 01:33 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
In my experience, the "last ten pounds" are extremely hard and can even take years to successfully lose.... that is why most people end up turning to "body recomposition" through exercise.

Diets simply don't work anymore for these pounds (maybe short-term, but not for long-term loss). I think this is because the body has a self-regulating mechanism - it seeks homeostasis. So, regardless of what you believe your body should look like to be healthy, it has its own idea of what health looks like.

I think ravenrose is absolutely correct!

Anyway, not everyone is the same. Maybe your weight will come off more effortlessly. Good look!
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
You are hungry because you are not in ketosis. You probably need to reduce your protein amounts. It seems that the longer a person eats low carb the better they are converting excess protein. Try lowering the protein to 65 grams and include all sources.

In my opinion, it is a waste of test strips to test anytime other than in the morning fasted state because you may be producing ketones from your food. Wait until you have changed up your protein and fat for a few days and then test in the fasted state.

It also seems to be very common to have weight loss slow drastically as one nears goal. I consider it practicing maintenance.
I have adopted IF 16:8 and it has helped me enormously on all fronts
Appetite is suppressed once again and I'm managing to keep my protein/carbs down as well as my overall calories
9 lb to go
Old 12-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Thanks for sending the links, checkoutchick. I'll be waiting for reports from you.
I am seriously thinking about IF, starting gradually with one day a week.
I am going to add some cardio too, first thing in the morning, two days a week.
These are just small changes, but a start. I am ready to for something new to keep my weight loss going. At his rate I'll be 99 before reaching goal.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote