Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 11:54 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
Zucker Rats

I found this information on Zucker rats interesting (from Taubes' book Good Calories, Bad Calories).

Zucker= German word for sugar, so "Sugar rats"

Zucker rats are rats in which LPL activity in the fat tissue is elevated in the womb - apparently the effect of fetal hyperinsulinemia, which persists in adulthood. As a result, Zucker rats grow monstrously obese.

Taubes writes, "But they will actually lay down more fat, Greenwood reported, if they're kept to a strict diet than they will if they're allowed to eat freely to satisfy hunger. The less their allowed to eat, however, the smaller their muscles will be; their brains and kidneys will also be "significantly reduced" in size" (p. 399).

What I take from this is that just because calorie restriction may work in the short-term to shed a few pounds, it may not be doing our weight loss efforts any favors in the long-term. When people aren't losing, it is popular to talk about how to cut out more food, but this may actually be defeating weight loss.

I think I may be similar to a Zucker rat insofar as I have always had a tendency from birth to grow obese, at least in the presence of too many carbs. My mother has also always ate a very high carb diet and gained substantial weight while pregnant with me.... she has struggled with her weight her whole life, starving herself w/ fad diets or Weight Watchers and gaining it back 6 months later.

Anyway, the purpose of this post is to say: When it comes to weight loss, always question absolutely everything you know to be true. Just because the majority are saying that calorie restriction is necessary does not mean it is true. While it may produce quick, short-term results, it may be causing our brains to shrink in the long-term!!
unna is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2013, 04:47 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no more scale!
WOE: Hunger Directed Eating 4/22/14
Start Date: JUDDD: start 2/14-4/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
Thanks for the info Unna!!! I think that's wonderful advice.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote