Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   difference between HFLC & EFGT? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/817669-difference-between-hflc-efgt.html)

dee 11-25-2013 09:26 AM

difference between HFLC & EFGT?

I noticed there are 2 different plans. HFLC and EFGT. I know EFGT uses Dr. Barry Groves methodology. I have the EFGT book he wrote. Where does HFLC fit in? Is there a book I can get to explain the program to me? Or are these WOE pretty much the same thing?

MerryKate 11-25-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dee (Post 16696126)
I noticed there are 2 different plans. HFLC and EFGT. I know EFGT uses Dr. Barry Groves methodology. I have the EFGT book he wrote. Where does HFLC fit in? Is there a book I can get to explain the program to me? Or are these WOE pretty much the same thing?

There's not really a book for the LCHF way of eating. Dr. Stephen Phinney and Dr. Jeff Volek wrote several good books on nutritional ketosis which can be helpful. The Art & Science of Low-Carb Living is a good basic guide with a lot of science, and The Art & Science of Low-Carb Performance, which is geared towards athletes and has even more scientific background.

The ideal for LCHF is 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs, but the percentages are just a guideline. This is a fairly loose plan, without a lot of rules, and each person is encouraged to keep track of what works for them. Eat to satiety, make sure you get enough protein, and limit yourself to 50 total carbs in a day (although I think the consensus on these boards is that 40 or less is actually better for women). Many people use ketone blood testing to see if they're in ketosis, but it's not required.

If you check out the EFGT thread on this BBS, there's a stickie at the top which explains the basics of that plan. It's pretty close to LCHF, with the exception that Dr. Groves recommends 10-15% carbs, 20-25% protein, 60-70% fat.

dee 11-25-2013 02:40 PM

Thank you so much MerryKate, that is very helpful!

Mistizoom 11-25-2013 07:37 PM

I love The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, but it is more of a theory book than a how-to book. Maria Emmerich has a new book called Keto-Adapted which I think will be a good primer on eating LCHF. I liked the Kindle sample and downloaded the whole book tonight but I haven't read any more of it yet. I found a couple others on Amazon as well, but I don't know those authors, so I am a bit more wary to pay for those.

ETA: I have Trick and Treat, which is one of Barry Groves' books on my wish list for Christmas. The ratios MerryKate listed are pretty much exactly what I am eating now, 10% carbs, 20% protein and 70% fat, but I do consider myself a LCHF eater! To me, the percentages really don't matter, it is the actual grams of protein and carbs that matter. Fat just makes up the rest of your calories. And when you are losing weight your percentage/grams of fat is actually higher than you eat, since your body is also utilizing body fat in addition to dietary fat.

dee 11-25-2013 07:54 PM

Thanks, I will check out the books. To be honest, I'm relieved to hear you say it's the actual grams of protein and carbs that matter b/c that is a lot easier to track than all those percentages.

Mimosa23 11-25-2013 11:57 PM

For more information and generally a good blog check out the Dietdoctor. He follows a LCHF WOE...

dee 11-26-2013 05:53 AM

Will do! Thanks

Ntombi 11-26-2013 09:16 AM

I don't do percentages either. I keep my carbs very low (under 20g total), and my proteins moderate (around 120g, but the amount needed is different for everyone), and get the rest of my calories from fat. That's it. The percentages change daily, depending on my fat and caloric intake for the day, but the hard numbers stay the same, and that's what's important.

While in weight loss mode, I keep things simple by only eating what's on the Atkins induction list of foods, but when I'm in maintenance, I'll expand just a little.

If you google "keto calculator," the first hit will give you a good starting point on your macros. You need to have at least a general idea of your lean body mass, though.