Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Tracking....

I have been planning, tracking and recording my food for over 4 yrs. now (except when on vacation) and I don't want to do it anymore. Anyone else get to this point?

I still don't mind weighing but tall the time it takes to record everything I eat is getting very tedious (it always was actually).

Last edited by clackley; 11-24-2013 at 07:20 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I keep trying to get myself to start tracking!

Seems to me you must have a pretty reliable routine down.
Afraid of what might happen without it?

Maybe you could taper off . . . track just every other week, or once a month, that sort thing.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I never did. Every once in a while, I'll do a day of tracking, just to see where I am, but that's like a once every couple of months thing. I know what to eat.

When I did a week of blood ketone testing several months ago, I weighed and tracked every morsel of food, to get more data. I'm really glad I did, and I'll probably do it again soon, but boy, I would not want to do that every single day!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
By now, I wonder how much you've memorized. I bet you'd do just fine without tracking.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 01:50 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I track using a well known tracking tool. Just so I get into a routine of knowing what is enough for me. I don't track on the weekend, and try and only eat when my body tells me to. It seems to be working. I may start tracking less once I have a better feeling of amounts and such. My brain loves to play games with me, so as long as I can not control the brain, I have to keep tracking...

Cathy, I think after four years of tracking, you could do without just fine! Why not try it out for a couple of weeks and keep intermittent track of only BK, to see if you are ok, just in case?

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #6
Ice
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Ice
I'm not losing with any regularity so I need to know exactly what I'm eating to see if I can rule out diet for not losing, in other words anther cause. I agree, it takes way too much time and seems for me to now be obsessive, but I figure I'll be tracking for quite some time. It helps to keep me accountable as well. I don't want to put things I shouldn't be eating or maybe the amount of food I want to eat on the tracker....lol.

I'd say, stop for awhile and see how it goes. If the weight starts to climb, then start tracking again?
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Wow, 4 years is awesome! I have been tracking steadily only since July and now I'm tired of it, so I am giving myself a break for a while. As long as I don't eat when not hungry I do fine. I think by now you should have a good idea of how you should be eating, so give yourself a break from the tracking and see what happens.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

I feel almost guilty not tracking but I agree with you all in that I should be able to do just fine without the slightly obsessive tracking. I am giving it a rest. I will continue to weigh and measure ketones once a week or so.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Let us know how it goes.
One week weighing should be sufficient to head off any probs.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Cathy, I've gone through times of tracking and times of not tracking.

I just jot down what I eat in a small, spiral notebook. I track P, F, and C grams and total the calories. I make a note if I feel markedly better or worse after eating something.

I find the paper and pencil or pen method much less tedious than entering date in tracking software.

There have been times when not tracking was more helpful to me than keeping the records. For an example, I haven't weighed myself in over a year. Weighing my food is more helpful to me.

to you!

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I have been planning, tracking and recording my food for over 4 yrs. now (except when on vacation) and I don't want to do it anymore. Anyone else get to this point?

I still don't mind weighing but tall the time it takes to record everything I eat is getting very tedious (it always was actually).
I don't write down what I eat any more. I keep a running total of protein and carbs in my head throughout the day, but it is a loose count. I lose at an average of 2 pounds a month which is fine for me. For some that is very slow, but I am not hungry and I am very satisfied. I will be eating this way forever anyway. When I have lost all my weight, I may add in a few more green vegetables and an occasional avocado. Also maybe some homemade high fat yogurt.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: unna
Stats: 230/155-160/tone
WOE: Primal LCHF
Start Date: January 2012
I think tracking is very important for beginners... as the principles of HFLC seem to go against everything we've ever been taught.

Are you where you want to be in terms of health and weight?
unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:56 AM   #13
Chatty Cathy

Unna, I agree that tracking in very important for those just starting off. It really is the only way of knowing what is going on in terms of nutrition.

I have been at this (ketosis) for more than 4 yrs. without pause. I know the deal so to speak. I have been tracking food into a tracker and am burned out.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Sounds like you have paid your dues.
Liberate yourself.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:26 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I know exactly what you mean, I think for me it has been about 3 years. It is tedious. I am not able to successfully maintain yet, at least to the point of where I am happy. So I still need to track to make adjustments to my diet. It is so easy to make a mistake and overeat, then when you look back at the numbers you go. Oh yeah, that is why. Trying to develop a diet that helps me maintain, not feel deprived, makes sense and is economical, and generally fits with the North American WOE, is easier said than done. I've come a long way but I still need to track until I get it down pat. You are probably further along in that area than I am.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:32 AM   #16
Chatty Cathy

I hear you Punkin. For me, it just needs to be less obsessive at this point. I have a good handle on what I can consume and not.

It has been a few days of no food tracking and I must say, I probably eat pretty much the same with the exception of day 1 when I was experimenting with a recipe and really didn't want to put all the ingredients through my tracker and figure out what was an allowable portion. Instead I ate what seemed to speak to my hunger and was rewarded with a slight downward scale # which has remained. It was a high fat recipe!

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
Old 11-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no scale unless doing PHD
WOE: HDE, Potatoes as needed
Start Date: May 2014
That's awesome Cathy! Congrats!!
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
I hear you Punkin. For me, it just needs to be less obsessive at this point. I have a good handle on what I can consume and not.

It has been a few days of no food tracking and I must say, I probably eat pretty much the same with the exception of day 1 when I was experimenting with a recipe and really didn't want to put all the ingredients through my tracker and figure out what was an allowable portion. Instead I ate what seemed to speak to my hunger and was rewarded with a slight downward scale # which has remained. It was a high fat recipe!
Wow that's great! I must say I do envy you that you are at that point. I might be ready for it in the spring. I am still concerned with my tendencies to overeat. And I am also not confident that I know my portion sizes yet. I still weigh and measure things, but maybe in a month or two I will start testing myself to see how accurate I am. The one thing I am good at is estimating calories and grams of macros! I am also pretty good at getting over 60% fat at each meal. Two of my main downfalls are social functions and eating out. Although I can always find something on the menu to eat, I often find I either feel hungry afterwards or if unlimited food is available (such as at a party or buffet) I eat much more than I should. But who knows, maybe we are just programmed to overeat when food is available. And of course it always is!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Checkoutchick
Stats: 199/151/143
WOE: Atkins (NANY)
Start Date: 17/06/13
Hi All, I read your post and the responses with great interest. I've been tracking since June and paid good money for a decent App. I too am looking forward to the day when I don't feel the need to track anymore!!
The only days I 'allow' myself not to track is when we go out for dinner and /or social occasions, which doesn't happen that often.
I agree with Patience, perhaps tapering off would be a good idea? Start by not tracking at weekends, then add another day each week without it?
Personally I want to lose another stone, so I guess I'll be tracking for a while yet ...
Checkoutchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, I hope you are enjoying the tracking-free time.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #21
Chatty Cathy

Yes, I have been enjoying it but find myself right back at it today as I am doing another experiment!
Old 12-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Cathy, I wish you happy experimenting!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #23
Chatty Cathy

It was good. I will do it again in a week.