Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Fat bombs?

I have a question (possibly stupid) about fat bombs. I know quite a few people use them but I'm having difficulty grasping his.

So from what i understand carbs and protein are the macros that are important to monitor etc. so lets say you have 20g carb 50g protein and the rest made of fat does it matter if your ratio isn't 70% + fat? This isn't referring to myself, On average i hit 70% quite easily by just using butter and oil and fatty meats.

If your body is largely relying on carbs and protein to form glucose does it matter if you hit that 70% number? Lets say you hit 50% fat and you are in a calorie deficit do you really need to top that fat number up?

Just curious about this as I'm not really following the logic on this?
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
Here are the important numbers on NK: calories, carbs, protein. Once you know what you should be eating in these categories, then the rest is fat. It's not so important for the percentages as they work themselves out if you have the rest of your numbers in order. For instance, I eat 2000 calories, under 20 net carbs, and 80 grams protein. The rest of my calories are filled in as fat which is a lot of fat calories.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Yeah cfine thats what i thought, i find the fat takes care of itself. I guess maybe people use them to top up calories or for a snack.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think a lot of people doing n.k. are not counting calories but rather counting grams of their macro nutrients.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheened View Post
I have a question (possibly stupid) about fat bombs. I know quite a few people use them but I'm having difficulty grasping his.

So from what i understand carbs and protein are the macros that are important to monitor etc. so lets say you have 20g carb 50g protein and the rest made of fat does it matter if your ratio isn't 70% + fat? This isn't referring to myself, On average i hit 70% quite easily by just using butter and oil and fatty meats.

If your body is largely relying on carbs and protein to form glucose does it matter if you hit that 70% number? Lets say you hit 50% fat and you are in a calorie deficit do you really need to top that fat number up?

Just curious about this as I'm not really following the logic on this?
I only count my protein and carbs. I keep my carbs under 15 grams and my protein usually under 50 grams. I eat the rest as fat. I do keep an eye on my fat intake and especially fat bombs. It is too easy to over eat those. If you eat too much fat, you probably won't gain, but you won't lose either. That does not mean that I keep an accurate count of my fat intake. I just make sure I only eat until satisfied.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Lovetoknit, thats kind of what i was getting at, thanks, i imagine i would likely to overeat fat bombs.

Clackley, quite a few people on various threads here have indicated they watch their cals, I understand it's not for you but I have noticed that some members have a loose calorie band. On the calories thread here it is discussed, on the thread i started on the main low carn forum some lchf members also stated that they watch their calories. Some dont need to count but i find it helps me.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Most people who are tracking their macro nutrients (as in n.k.) are aware of their calories but the focus is not calorie counting. The calorie information on all trackers is first and fore and is impossible to ignore.

The reason I comment on this is not necessarily for the o.p. but for those that may be reading. If calorie counting is your thing, that is great. Just trying to keep the waters from being 'muddied' so to speak.

No offense intended and hopefully none taken

Last edited by clackley; 11-18-2013 at 06:32 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lrrych
Stats: 198/160/160 6'0"
WOE: Ketogenic/Traditional-organic,raw and pastured
Start Date: May 2013
My take on fat bombs;
I love being in a state of NK for the various reasons we have all come to embrace. After having experimented with this WOE for 6 months I learned a few things about how "I" respond to foods. I've learned that for me eating Xg or more of protein at one sitting knocks me out of ketosis (for my lifestyle of work/exercise etc)..ergo, I consume less. The same with carbs. Xg of even low glycemic carbs can lower my ketones or raise blood glucose levels to where I don't want them to be. The delicate balance of staying in ketosis while supplying my body with vital micronutrients and phytonutrients (often from plant foods) is truly an art and a challenge that I have a lot of fun with. My body does well with adding cream, butter, coconut oil etc. to my vegetables and meats to aid in slowing down gastric emptying and carbohydrate absorption (as evidenced by ketone and glucose monitoring). Popping in a creative, seasonally inspired, delicious fat bomb after a "higher for me" carb and/or protein meal really helps me navigate around those issues in a way that helps me personally sustain this WOE.
lrrych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for your feedback irrych

Clackley, sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying.