Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 11:49 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I was doing well, but last night I had a minor relapse. I usually quit eating at 8 p.m. and don't start until noon the next day, but the peanut butter and kavli crackers started calling my name at 10 p.m. and like an idiot I had one...which turned into two...which turned into 5! I don't know what it is about peanut butter that sets me off, but I wound up at 62 total carbs for the day. Back on plan today, and stuck to it pretty well, so that's something.
Dont worry i had a 60ish carb day too this week, but onwards and downwards, rest of the week i've been good as gold, just jumped back on. No point dwelling and you are doing fantastic getting back on plan! I think there is going to be the odd days like that and you've nipped it in the bud so well done x
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2013, 11:50 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Cfine, Green, how are you guys getting on?
Old 11-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no more scale!
WOE: Hunger Directed Eating 4/22/14
Start Date: JUDDD: start 2/14-4/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
Hey!! things are going very well over here.
BK are back up to 0.8 today from 0.4 yesterday. I ate less fat bombs and probably less veggies too. I imagine xylitol (in the fat bombs) was the culprit though.

Stats yesterday:
cals: 1900
pro: 55g
fat: 178g
carbs: 11g

I have yet to weigh since I started. I'm eating quite a bit so I'll be surprised if I lose more than a few pounds. I'll weigh on Monday or Tuesday.

Glad to hear everyone is doing well and staying strong. I think y'all are right about the planned cheats. It's hard to imagine it for myself as any time I go off, it totally snow balls into carb-binging for days, BUT I've never planned one. It's something to think about. Maybe that would give me a better sense of control.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:12 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I don't know what it is about peanut butter that sets me off.
OMG MerryKate... peanut butter sets me off too. Almond butter and cashew can have similar effects, but PB treats me badly. HA I just can't stop when I start...spoonful after spoonful. Can't buy the stuff anymore. Plus, I hear it's as aggravating to the body as some grains are, so I'm okay with staying away.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:13 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheened View Post
you've nipped it in the bud so well done x
WELL SAID! That is the hardest part for me.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Green you are doing fantastic, the carbs are brilliant! I tried a bit of low carb baking which was terrible, i can't get some sweetners here and i tried stevia, put me off sweetners for life! Anyhoo it was an epic fail so havent tried again, BUT i do want to try low carb pancakes at some point! I read some articles which said some sweetners act like actual sugar in your body? Dont know what your thoughts are on that?

Yeah the thing about the cheats are it depends on what you are like. If you plan one you really want your less likely to go "oh crap might as well finish off that cake or might as well have some pasta too". If you fall off the wagon you beat yourself up, feel bad, think you've ruined anyway so might as well carry on! Thats what i'm like anyway! If you say i can try some stuff but still watch what i eat you're more likely to feel ok with it and get back on plan. Thats my experience, obviously other people never go off plan and it works for them but hey, each to their own!

Last edited by sheened; 11-22-2013 at 10:32 AM..
Old 11-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Sheened!

It seems that I can handle a small amount of xylitol as it was in the fat bombs (probably no more than 1/2 teaspoon in each) but not 6 fat bombs in a day. Not sure yet.. still experimenting. I'm not sure how they act in the body, but from what I understand, the body doesn't absorb sugar alcohols. Some say that anything that tastes sweet causes an insulin release like sugar does.

Yes, I hear you about the planned cheat meal. Maybe I'll try a one after I reach my mini-goal of 135.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

I'm terrified of fat bombs anything like that and i can keep on eating them, my husband suggested making some and keeping them in the freezer to which i responded " have you gone mad! You'll come home from work and find my lifeless body face first in a bowl of fat bombs!"

Loads of people seem to use them really well but i dont think i'm part of that club. Yeah sugar alcohols dont really do anything to my weightloss (i dont think) but other people seem to havea problem with them.

I've got one in december and two days in january, i'll report back on what happens. Not planning to go mad, but will loosen up a bit, last weekend away the hotel staff probably thought i was crazy, i kept ordering eggs, bacon, steak and whatever other animal they had going, after two days of this and relentless boozing i was only up 0.4lbs. Within a week it was gone and then some! I went completely off track for a few weeks when my inlaws came to visit, within a week of low carb i was back down to the weight i was before they visited. So for me its manageable (at the moment) but i'm not planning another three week binge! Some people on other boards said it took ages to get cheat meal weight off. I think the odd day every few months probably wont do anything horrendous unless you get keto flu arrrgh.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:08 PM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: womanlexy
Stats: 232/223/150
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: October 2013
What.the.heck?

So, I get on to this here board and spout off about my commitment to the challenge. I share my "planned" cheat day. Talk about my new Shaun T. DVDs and wahlah!...

I'm so hungry by lunch today that I'm practically gnawing on my desk by 12 noon.

And I'm irritable. Got into a nasty argument at work. I've been having a mild headache all week, but today I just couldn't pull it together.

I'd decided to go to bed early, but then my little guy (my son) walks into the room with a new bag of pita chips. Fourteen carbs per seven chips. I had 63 of them. (Yes, I counted in multiples.) WHAT.THE.HECK!

Now I'm storming around the house looking for something to eat. I want eggnog by Lehigh Valley, right.now.thank.you.very.much!!!

I signed on to confess before I do my dirty deed. I'm out of control. What happened? I had a eggs and sausage for breakfast like I do every morning.

Something has gone awry. I'm going for egg nog now...I can't fight it.
womanlexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Ohhh lexy, i ate two lindt dark choc bars last week and i felt awful about it, so don't worry you aren 't alone! I know what you mean about hunger, i had one day when i was absolutely insatiable, that day i just kept eating low carb food, still went to bed hungry but ate more than usual. It happens don't beat yourself up about it, just keep logging and get back to it asap.

Have you had the headache for a while? Yeah getting into arguments at work can really play on your mind and be really very upsetting, its ok, maybe you need a down day to rest up, relax and refocus, its ok we've all been there x

Now tell me about your videos and what you were planning to do x
Old 11-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #41
Junior LCF Member

T25 Aspirations...

Quote:
Ohhh lexy, i ate two lindt dark choc bars last week and i felt awful about it, so don't worry you aren 't alone! I know what you mean about hunger, i had one day when i was absolutely insatiable, that day i just kept eating low carb food, still went to bed hungry but ate more than usual. It happens don't beat yourself up about it, just keep logging and get back to it asap.

Have you had the headache for a while? Yeah getting into arguments at work can really play on your mind and be really very upsetting, its ok, maybe you need a down day to rest up, relax and refocus, its ok we've all been there x

Now tell me about your videos and what you were planning to do x

Hey Sheened!

You saved me. I received the response to my post earlier tonight while I was driving to the Giant food store to buy my egg nog. Your text stalled my plan. Thank god! I was able to walk in pick it up, look at it, put it down and then walk away. I did it four times, but I did it! No egg nog tonight! I did buy sugar free diet Swiss Miss though.

Now about T25. It's for the 40 and above person who is busy with family, work, etc. and really can't commit to a trek to the gym or a long, strenuous workout. The workout lasts for only 25 minutes which is right up my alley. But the workout kicks butt! Big time. I'll be starting on it tomorrow. <smile>

I've just had a crazy day and a heck of a week.

I'm headed to bed with only the 63 chip slip today. Again, thanks for saving me.

Oh just to detail my eating today.

1 sausage patty (McDonald's)
2 scrambled eggs with a slice of creamy cheddar cheese (McDonald's)
CLA/GLA and Raspberry keytone pills (I started these today, wondering if they could have thrown me off?)
Two eggs Benedict with spinach, gruyere cheese, canadian ham slice, hollandaise sauce (Eggspectation)
1 diet Swiss Miss hot chocolate packet with one Maggi Moo cream/half and half
63 pita chips (Whole Foods)
CLA/GLA and Raspberry keytone pills

Today was a pretty light day as far as food goes. Maybe I simply didn't eat enough.

A~

Last edited by womanlexy; 11-22-2013 at 09:12 PM..
Old 11-23-2013, 05:56 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by womanlexy View Post
Hey Sheened!

You saved me. I received the response to my post earlier tonight while I was driving to the Giant food store to buy my egg nog. Your text stalled my plan. Thank god! I was able to walk in pick it up, look at it, put it down and then walk away. I did it four times, but I did it! No egg nog tonight!

Oh just to detail my eating today.

1 sausage patty (McDonald's)
2 scrambled eggs with a slice of creamy cheddar cheese (McDonald's)
CLA/GLA and Raspberry keytone pills (I started these today, wondering if they could have thrown me off?)
Two eggs Benedict with spinach, gruyere cheese, canadian ham slice, hollandaise sauce (Eggspectation)
1 diet Swiss Miss hot chocolate packet with one Maggi Moo cream/half and half
63 pita chips (Whole Foods)
CLA/GLA and Raspberry keytone pills

Today was a pretty light day as far as food goes. Maybe I simply didn't eat enough.

A~
Good job resisting!!
When I first saw your post above, my immediate thoughts were... "Is she in full ketosis?" And "is she eating enough?"

Are you logging your protein and carb intake? Too much protein puts me out of ketosis.

I find that eating at no more than a 500 calorie deficit keeps cravings at bay. For me, that's around 1800 calories. I eat around 60g protein spread throughout the day with no more than 30g of protein at one meal. Helps to include plenty of fat with protein too. I eat on the low side of phinny and volek's protein recommendation. About 1.1g of protein per my goal weight in kilograms. Seems to be working for me.

Just my two cents, fwiw. Great job getting back on track!!!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
peanut butter sets me off too. Almond butter and cashew can have similar effects, but PB treats me badly. HA I just can't stop when I start...spoonful after spoonful. Can't buy the stuff anymore.
Cashews do me in every time, and they and peanuts are the highest-carb of the nuts, so I'm better off without them.

However, I'm happy to report that almond butter doesn't set me off. The almond butter makes a great emulsifier for fat bombs. I used 1 tsp almond butter to 1 TB of coconut oil, plus 4 g chocolate and 1 tsp dark cocoa powder to make a really smooth, rich chocolate bark.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #44
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
Good job resisting!!
When I first saw your post above, my immediate thoughts were... "Is she in full ketosis?" And "is she eating enough?"

Are you logging your protein and carb intake? Too much protein puts me out of ketosis.

I find that eating at no more than a 500 calorie deficit keeps cravings at bay. For me, that's around 1800 calories. I eat around 60g protein spread throughout the day with no more than 30g of protein at one meal. Helps to include plenty of fat with protein too. I eat on the low side of phinny and volek's protein recommendation. About 1.1g of protein per my goal weight in kilograms. Seems to be working for me.

Just my two cents, fwiw. Great job getting back on track!!!
Hi Green!

Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate it. I tell ya', between the responses from you and Sheened, this board has been a boon for me in the last two days.

I just bought the Phinny book after researching most of the day. I also bought the Atkins 72 book. I had no idea that I needed to count protein and there was a formula for all of this. You were right, I was doing just about everything wrong.

Another good save. Thanks so much for your help.

A~
Old 11-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Lexy, I'm really impressed you managed to walk away, great job! That is a total victory! i'm happy this thread has provided you with the support you needed, this isn't an easy thing to do (ask my husband he quit after three days LOL due to what he called mouth hunger vs stomach hunger).

sooooo cant take credit for that, its your own mindfulness and willpower that got you away from the eggnog, i think everytime you walk away from something the easier it gets over time. For me when i'm worried i eat, for some reason happiness and sadness dont come into it but anxiety will make me self soothe with food. I dont know if the emotional element is something you experience (trying verrrry hard not to make assumptions as its irritating when people do that!) but if it is, its doubly hard to stop yourself mid track acti g out a set of behaviours which have been repeated over and over.

I'm really pleased this thread is helpful to you, i know a few words of encouragement or lack of can sometimes make all the difference! We are here to whoohoo each other!

Lol i'm still trying to get my butt up to do my jillian michaels dvd, she scares me soooo bad LOL!! But go you for getting the exercise in!

Green really good point about the protein, i thi k cfine found that a drop in protein for her got everything started again.

Rightiho, my weigh in this week had me down ................. 3lbs!!! Ok yes i know its the second week of my restart so its going to slow down but oh yeah baby, I am closing in on the 10st bracket! So 154.6lbs this morning!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:42 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Btw, Merrykate, that sounds delicious!! Might make some when i'm on my period, thats when i really struggle and thos sound like they could come in handy!
Old 11-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I received the response to my post earlier tonight while I was driving to the Giant food store to buy my egg nog.
If you want egg nog, go crazy - you can make it at home for less money and almost no carbs. It fits nicely within nutritional ketosis - just keep track of your servings, especially if you make it with alcohol. There are a bunch of recipes in the Recipe Room of this bbs.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:40 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Rightiho, my weigh in this week had me down ................. 3lbs!!! Ok yes i know its the second week of my restart so its going to slow down but oh yeah baby, I am closing in on the 10st bracket! So 154.6lbs this morning!
Fantastic!!!! 3 lbs in a week is amazing! You're doing great.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Thanks green! Its such a relief to be getting it off, i know its going to slow down, bounce around etc but getting back into the 10's would be a bit of a milestone for me! Hopefully by next week i would have tipped over that line, even if its 10st 13.9999999 it would be wonderful!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Yes, let that motivate you throughout the week! I'm excited today...my fasting BK have been increasing steadily. Today at 2.1! (AND I ate around 75g of protein yesterday!)

Anyone have special NK dishes for Thanksgiving? I'm thinking Spinach au gratin, without flour or breadcrumbs, of course.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Yay thanks green!! I'm hoping i'll miss out on the third week stall....

I tried mashed turnip with parmesan this week not too bad! And courgette noodles with er parmesan quite liked that. I'm sure theres loads of fantastic recipes floating around, kate seems like the person to go to on this one!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #52
Junior LCF Member

Quote:
If you want egg nog, go crazy - you can make it at home for less money and almost no carbs. It fits nicely within nutritional ketosis - just keep track of your servings, especially if you make it with alcohol. There are a bunch of recipes in the Recipe Room of this bbs.
Hi MerryKate...thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:53 PM   #53
Junior LCF Member

Hi folks...

I'm checking in for the last couple of days. Thanks to Green, I have made some pretty serious adjustments to my lifestyle eating plan.

I had no idea that I should be eating so much fat. Atkins gives the impression that more protein is ideal, not fat. That is the Atkins Nutritionals, not the Atkins 72 which I'm following now.

So, for the last couple of days, I have eaten the following:

Breakfast:
Six slices of bacon
3 XL eggs scrambled in a generous amount of butter
Decaf coffee with a generous pouring of heavy cream (so good and with no Splenda)

Lunch
1/2 cup of coconut milk
Hamburger with homemade thousand island dressing (heavy on mayo) and avocado slices on top
Bunch of lettuce

Dinner
Tuna fish (generous mayo) with cheese slices on top.
1 cup spinach with tomato pieces
Couple of spoonfuls of coconut oil

I'm not counting fat grams just yet, just initially incorporating more fat where I can. I'm down to 220 as of this morning. (No lie.)

I have to tell you, last week I was gnawing on my desk at lunch because I was so hungry.

Over the last couple of days if someone mentioned dinner more than once, I'd gag. I so very much did not want to eat anything.

It was much easier for me to eat more protein as opposed to more fat. If I continue with eating more fat, I may lose weight if only because I can't stomach all of the fat and won't eat.

I wake in the morning thinking, "Oh god...I have to eat eggs with cheese and sausage, again." Who would have thunk it? I never would have thought in my life that I would say this. And I'm not eating at night. Not at all. Can you believe it? Not even thought about it other than to acknowledge that I'm not hungry at all.

Isn't this amazing?

Thanks, Green. Your comment has sent me researching across the web and it has been empowering.

Last edited by womanlexy; 11-25-2013 at 06:58 PM..
Old 11-26-2013, 02:53 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Fantastic work lexy, it sounds like you have really overhauled everything, congrats on the weight loss! I watch the carbs and protein and let the fat take care of itself, i find you end up around 65%+ fat without triying. The reduction in apetite sounds like you are firmly in ketosis, I'm glad Green's advice helped you, it was good stuff. It sounds like its going a bit easier this week?

Green has your blood sugar stabilised. Do you think it was the protein?
Old 11-26-2013, 04:30 AM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Quote:

Isn't this amazing?.
Yes, so amazing when you feel your body mark that switch. Good job to you for doing research and getting empowered.

Sheened, thanks for the recipes. I haven't cooked with turnips so maybe I'll try it out for thanksgiving. I do know that I'll be making spinach au gratin, a cauliflower and cheese casserole (Linda's low carb recipe), a pork and mushroom stuffing (also from Linda), and Linda's pumpkin bake. It will be decadent.

I haven't been checking blood glucose levels, only my fasting blood ketone levels. They have been pretty high for the past few days. 1.1 on Sunday, 2.1 yesterday, and 1.9 today. When they plummeted to 0.4 at the end of last week, I thought it may have been too much xylitol or too much protein. I have been limiting the xylitol a whole lot, but I've been steadily increasing protein grams (still no more than 30g in a sitting) from 60g to 75g per day and still BK are high. So I'm guessing it was the xylitol (either the added carbs or its alleged insulinogenic effects.) OR, being that it has only been 3 weeks since my restart, I was just still becoming keto-adapted. I plan to experiment with xylitol again on thanksgiving, so we'll see.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Hey! yes my blood ketones stabilized nicely around 1.2 earlier this week.
I have been out of town since Wednesday and haven't checked them. I'll check them on Tuesday of next week though. I think it may have been too much xylitol that was kicking me out of ketosis. Or maybe I just wasn't fully keto adapted.

How is everyone?
Old 11-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #57
Junior LCF Member

After Thanksgiving Check-in

Well,

I'll provide updates next week. I had a planned out-of-control Thanksgiving, so I'm sure my body will reflect this.

I'm getting back on plan tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it. <smile>
Old 11-30-2013, 07:17 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Way to get back on board, lexy!
Old 12-01-2013, 03:37 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

hi guys!!

how are you all doing? Sounds like stuff is ticking over nicely!

okey my update, I stayed below 20g carbs this week, with the exception of some canderel bars day before yesterday due to TOM. My weight was up slightly from 154.6 to 155 . However I think it may just be my period messing with me.

I had so hoped I would be in the 10's again at this weigh in but heigh ho it is what it is! I shall persevere and hope for better for next week. So close but no cookie, but it will happen so am getting my head down and getting on with it.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #60
Senior LCF Member

Well, I not only fell off the wagon, I climbed to the top of the diving board and did a jackknife along the way. I live just south of the Canadian border, so this weekend we took a trip to Victoria. I lasted for all of two hours....my family wanted to go to Murchie's, a wonderful patisserie, and I was tired and hungry so the flourless chocolate cake seemed like an ok splurge. It just went downhill from there. At least I got my fill of french fries.

OTOH, I spent the last two days walking all over creation. By my rough estimate I walked a minimum of 7 miles over 8 hours, so calorically I didn't do too much damage. But I will have to endure the LC flu once my body realizes there are no more carbs coming. Happy Christmas to me.

Last edited by MerryKate; 12-02-2013 at 10:18 AM..