Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Swinters
Stats: 162/134/125
Vacation on Keto

Hello, I'm going on vacation to Puerto Rico next month. I have never been there and know I will want to try some of their cuisine that would not fit with keto. I always stay under 30 carbs a day but I'm worried that if I go out of ketosis I will have to go through the low carb flu again. I really don't want to reverse my progress or get the low carb flu but I don't want to miss opportunities to try new things that I may not get to try again. Your opinions are much appreciated!
Swinters is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/206/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
You can't have it both ways. Enjoy your vacation then get right back on plan when you get back.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I have not been to Puerto Rico but would love to go someday.

I have been on a number of vacations in foreign countries and aside from the actual travel there, I did not have to do anything special to stay in ketosis. That was always my aim though and the idea of breaking ketosis to sample some carby foods is just not appealing to me.

On the other hand, I have read of many folks who do eat some samplings and do just fine. It really depends on your personal ability to convert back and forth and you won't know until you try.

One other thing is that some people get feeling pretty bad when suddenly reintroducing carbs so that may be an issue to consider as well.

For myself, I know that I get physically ill when I have mistakenly consumed something carby and I feel it is a big risk in my ability to get back on plan. This makes it unappealing and so not worth it.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
I went off track for the last 3 weeks, back on this sunday, felt a bit slow but no carb flu really. I'd just enjoy the holiday!
sheened is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Auntie Em
WOE: VLC-Pastoral
Start Date: Maintenance since 2000
Hi, Swinters. I'm in my fourth year of VLC and have not found it necessary to forsake my food plan or my macronutrient ratios due to change of location, or for any other reason.

Meat, eggs, fish, cheese, butter, olive or coconut oil, nuts, and a few greens, and plenty of water are, for many, the basis of eating very low carb. Herbs and spices for taste and variety. Salt for balance.

When I read Dr. Richard Bernstein's The Diabetes Solution, it really woke me up to the necessity to protect our health. His book changed my life. I have found following his Law of Small Numbers to be a very easy way to eat very low carb for life.

If you don't get the answers you are looking for, in this thread, the folks at the Bernstein thread, are aces at staying VLC, and would be glad to help.

Best wishes for happy, healthy LCing.
Auntie Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Aunti em does have a point, last holiday i just ordered meat, worked out fine for me! Also after my 3 week blip this is my first full week on NK and i've almost ditched the additional lbs i gained. It really depends on you, how easy it is for you to get back on track and how carb sensitive you are. As i said i would try a bit of this and that, i'm planning to on the next break i go on, mainly low carb but if something looks interesting i'll try it!
sheened is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Swinters
Stats: 162/134/125
Thanks for all of your input. I think I will stick to my diet while out of town. I assume they will have plenty of fish or meat dishes that would fit my diet while still being able to try something new.
Swinters is offline   Reply With Quote