Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2013, 06:33 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Is greek yogurt a safe food for NK?

Some brands are low carb but also high in protein when compared to the fat. I am just curious what others' opinions are on whether or not it would be a safe food for NK.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I try to make the ratios better when I eat greek yogurt. I add almond butter and coconut oil for example, or some heavy cream. Or all of them at once!

I actually discovered creme fraiche is so much tastier, and the ratios are much better... (I still added the almond butter and coconut oil, LOL)
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
When I do eat Greek yogurt(which isn't very often, but maybe when I go to maintenance as I love it in a smoothie) I use the Fage full fat brand. I can only find this at one store where I live.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
I think Greek yogurt that has some fat in it is okay in small amounts (less than a suggested single serving). And as in everything, it will be a very individual thing. It is nice to get the benefits of many things in yogurt so ideally, would be a good addition but as I said, in small amount.

I have bought regular yogurt (high fat 9%) and made it into Greek yogurt by straining it through a coffee filter. Getting out most of the whey reduces the carb count but it also increases the fat and protein.

I have made my own yogurt using a combination of whole milk and hwc. Very good!

I can get a sour cream that is 30% m.f. and find that it is a better choice in terms of protein. It is still a fermented product and I like it very much.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

@clackley. That's great. I can't seem to get high fat dairy where I live. Its the low fat, high sugar stuff that seems to sell so that is what they keep in stock. What brand of sour cream is it? I'll see if I can find it somewhere reasonably close to me. All of the sour cream in my local stores are only 14%.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:33 PM   #6
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Western is the brand of sour cream. It also comes in 14% and 5%. Superstore and No Frills both carry it.

For 9% b.f. plain Greek yogurt, look for the President's Choice Greek Yogurt found in any store that sells that brand (i.e. Loblaws, Zehrs, Superstore, NoFrills, and a few others that don't come to mind at the moment).

Where in Canada are you? Is it possible to ask the store manager if they can special order for you?
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: finallylosing
Stats: 206/135/I think I've reached it!
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Western is the brand of sour cream. It also comes in 14% and 5%. Superstore and No Frills both carry it.

For 9% b.f. plain Greek yogurt, look for the President's Choice Greek Yogurt found in any store that sells that brand (i.e. Loblaws, Zehrs, Superstore, NoFrills, and a few others that don't come to mind at the moment).

Where in Canada are you? Is it possible to ask the store manager if they can special order for you?
Thanks for the info about Western sour cream. I have been looking for one higher than 14%. Will have to check a No Frills next time I am near one.
finallylosing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
@clackley. That's great. I can't seem to get high fat dairy where I live. Its the low fat, high sugar stuff that seems to sell so that is what they keep in stock. What brand of sour cream is it? I'll see if I can find it somewhere reasonably close to me. All of the sour cream in my local stores are only 14%.
I use Daisy sour cream. It does not have extra stuff in it. Just cultured cream
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

@clackley. I live between owen sound and collingwood. I should be able to get Western products and I definitely know I can get PC, so thanks for that info. I didn't even know they made a sour cream with more than 14% MF, that really helps, there are just some recipe's that are better with sour cream than using something like butter just for the higher fat. I have been driving to Fergus to get sheep's dairy products because they are higher in MCTs than cow's milk. (25% compared to 5%). But the sheep's sour cream is only 10%.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
I eat yogurt in small amounts, but not everyday. I believe the cultures help m tummy. Right now I have Greek Gods brand Greek Yogurt in my fridge. Sometimes I buy Fage, or Kalona SuperNatural yogurt, not greek style but yummy. I typically buy fullfat plain. My favorite sour cream is Kalona SuperNatural. I do see that it contains milk as well as cream, and a carb per tablespoon. Is that typical?
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

I think sour cream ranges from 0.4 to 0.6 carbs per tablespoon. It might say 1 carb, but they round up or round down. I usually count 0.5 if it says no carbs, or 0.6 if it says 1, but you have to check it online. In my opinion that 0.4 carbs makes a difference, especially if you are making a sauce out of it!
Old 11-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I use Greek yogurt, full fat, in half-servings in my protein smoothie. With added HWC.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Green
Stats: no more scale!
WOE: Hunger Directed Eating 4/22/14
Start Date: JUDDD: start 2/14-4/14 NK: 3/13-6/13, 11/13- 1/14
According to Phinney and Volek (in Low carb for Athletes), they say that full-fat yogurt with NSA is fine as the carb count is much less than what the package says. I believe they wrote that the bacteria digest all of the lactose so the final product is actually quite low in carbs.
Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:41 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
According to Phinney and Volek (in Low carb for Athletes), they say that full-fat yogurt with NSA is fine as the carb count is much less than what the package says. I believe they wrote that the bacteria digest all of the lactose so the final product is actually quite low in carbs.
That is really interesting thanks. I do strain my yogurt, just in case but this is good to know. It seems like they just use the same carb content as milk. I decided to just try making my own using cream instead of milk. It worked great, but it is nice to know that the carbs are probably completely removed.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:05 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Several low carb approaches make that case about yogurt and fermented foods. Who knows? I do eat full fat yogurt, but in smaller servings (2 or 3 ounces max) and not everyday. I typically count it as a cheese servings. I like to think it keeps my digestive track happy.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • NK 10/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green View Post
I've seen this claim several times from different sources, but never any hard science to back it up. I'm not inclined to dismiss the carbs in yogurt for that reason. While I do think yogurt is a good LCHF food, especially with added cream, I always count the full amount of carbs on the label. I've seen people stall out by eating too much yogurt and considering it a "free" food.
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Yeah. Better safe than sorry, I guess.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:05 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Just thought I'd mention...
I make homemade kefir with full-fat goat's milk. I let it ferment for 24-48 hours.
I drink 8oz every day and always have something fatty with it, like brie or bullet proof coffee.

Although I do count it in total carbs, and hardly ever let my daily total get over 30g, my fasting BK have been increasing steadily. Yesterday at 1.1 and today at 2.1.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 AM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I drink a cup of golden milk every day and it's not set me back. I do calculate the fat, protein and carbs in my daily allowance though.

(Golden milk is a drink made with turmeric paste. I make mine with raw milk, which I warm up, then I stir in the turmeric paste, add a touch of ground stevia, vanilla and cinnamon and a tsp of EVCO. Very yummy and it's supposed to help with inflammation, sleep and general wellbeing)
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote