Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thinking_thinly
Stats: 250/145/140
WOE: Paleo-ish
Start Date: Nov 15, 2012
SOS! Help for my dad!

My dad is interested in starting a HFLC diet. I presented him with the science, and the benefits and he is eager to start! He is 6'1" and approximately 400lbs, so he desperately needs to loos the weight, even a little would benefit him greatly! I even said I would be his diet partner! However, one thing that has stymied us both; what to pack in his lunch? He is a truck driver, working 16 hrs a day in his truck. He is used to 2 big sandwiches, a couple of granola bars, maybe a yogurt, fruit cup, and whatever else my mom packs in their. What would be some good on the go lunches for this WOE? My idea's consisted of peperoni slices, cheese cubes, and deviled eggs. Not much variety at all and would get boring after a while! What would y'all suggest?
thinking_thinly is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sheened
Stats: Original SW:190 SW:162.8 CW:145 GW:119
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: 10th Nov 2013
Hi! Good for him! And good for you to encourage him!! You could wrap cold roast meat like chicken, i eat nuts and avocados all the time, pretty easy to transport! There is a thread here started by elliot on what to pack if you were going to the middle of nowhere. Some fantastic ideas, have a look.

Good luck to your dad!!
sheened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
My husband is also a trucker driver, and while he is trying to eat more like me, he still finds it hard sometimes. One thing that I always make for him is two protein smoothies made with unsweetened almond/coconut milk, strawberries, LC protein powder, and a little liquid stevia. He loves them. He also always has nuts with him to snack on. I know if he really got into this WOE, he could make it work.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/192.1/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2 January 2014
How about Oopsies filled with tuna salad, BLT Oopsies, Oopsies with egg salad, Oopsies with chicken salad, Oopsies with bacon and guacamole.... You get my drift!

Or ham, lettuce and cheese roll ups?
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:26 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: metqa
Stats: 147/136/125; 5'1"
WOE: PSMF/hcg Transitioning to HFLC
Start Date: joined LCF 2003: HCG/PSMF 07/2014
Quote:
He is used to 2 big sandwiches, a couple of granola bars, maybe a yogurt, fruit cup, and whatever else my mom packs in their.
I second the idea of using oopsies to sub for the sandwich bread and make the sandwiches the same way. You can make homemade nut bars, I think there is one on Sugar Free Sheila's website that is a crunchy low carb snack bar, I'll see if I can find the recipe.

Greek Yogurt, has more protein, or get full fat yogurt instead. Sugar free gelatin cups.

Fruit cup, make your own by filling a small container with blueberries , strawberries, blackberries and or raspberries. He could even dump some of them into his yougurt.

Look at some Bento Lunch Sites for ideas on how to pack in a great lunch.
Many of them focus on starchy stuff like rice or noodles, but there are some low carb bento ideas out there as well.

Leftover dinner, like cauliflower fried rice, with meat. or a casserole in a good sealed container, deli sliced meat and cheese rolled up into lettuce leaves with a salad dressing dipping sauce with sliced veggies and ranch.

Make homemade fruit roll ups by pureeing the berries and drying them on parchment.

Make zucchini chips by slicing them thin, salting them and tossing with a bit of oil and baking till crisp. Makes potato chip like chips. They are great. You can even make flavors like sour cream an onion with a spoonful of sour cream for the oil and powdered onion or cheddar by using dry cheese powder, or salt and vinegar.
"You have to understand zat ven a vampire forgoes . . .the b-vord, zere is a process zat ve call transference? Zey force Zemselves to desire somesing else? . . .But your friend chose . . . coffee. And now he has none." "You can find him some coffee, or . . .you can keep a vooden stake and a big knife ready. You vould be doink him a favor, believe me." Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett
IBKKF 898
metqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #6

Crunchy Low Carb Snack Bars | Healthy Indulgences

These are AWESOME bars. I love them, love them, love them. I make the pistacio one sometimes( I leave out the coconut,personally) and it's so good! I've recently learned that using cocoa butter will allow the chocolate to stay solid at room temp so when I get some I'll try that. otherwise these stay well in cool temps.

Quote:
Crunchy No-Bake Snack Bars

Ingredients:
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup golden flax meal (could also use sesame seed meal)
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup almond butter (could also use peanut or mac nut butter)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon of raw honey
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons erythritol
1/8 teaspoon of pure stevia extract (NuNaturals brand!)

Easy Chocolate Ganache Topping

Ingredients:
4 squares of 85% cacao chocolate
2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated palm oil shortening (could also use more coconut oil or organic unsalted butter)
1 tablespoon erythritol
1/8 teaspoon pure stevia extract
1 teaspoon organic heavy cream (or full fat coconut milk)

Preparation:
For Snack Bars:
Powder erythritol in coffee grinder or magic bullet. Toast coconut and nuts in a dry pan over medium-low heat or the toaster oven, until slightly browned. Pulse nut and seed mixture in a food processor just until nuts are chopped. Melt coconut oil and nut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir until smooth. Add vanilla extract, honey, erythritol, stevia, and sea salt, stirring until incorporating. Fold into nut mixture. Press into an 8 by 4 pan with a spatula. Quick set in the freezer for 20 minutes. Cut into 6 bars. Store in the refrigerator, covered with a paper towel and plastic wrap.

For Ganache Topping:

Powder erythritol in coffee grinder or magic bullet. Melt shortening and chocolate in microwave in for 30 seconds. Stir until chocolate is completely melted and smooth. Stir in cream, erythritol, and stevia, until mixture is completely blended. Spread over cooled bars immediately.

~4.35 grams net carbs per 1/6 of a recipe

Pepita Pistachio Variation (a.k.a. REPTAR BARS, RAWRR!)

1/2 cup pistachios, roasted
1/4 cup plus two tablespoons pepitas, toasted
2 tablespoons hemp seeds (could use more pepitas)
1/4 cup sesame seeds (could also use golden flax seeds)
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/4 cup macadamia nut butter (could also use almond butter)
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 teaspoon raw honey
1/8-1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons erythritol
1/8 teaspoon pure stevia extract

Follow the steps listed above.

~6 grams net carbs per 1/6 of a recipe
Old 11-12-2013, 05:58 AM   #7

Actually ,it is Jacks Mixed Tape, Lauren's Recipe
Old 11-12-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I really want to try these.
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:46 AM   #9
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Don't forget about minute muffins!! They are filling and very transportable. Spread some cream cheese on for a fuller meal. I would also suggest cream soups in a thermos. Sliced English cucumbers are great for snacking and very low on the carb count.

I respectfully would discourage any fruit until ketosis is well established. It would be counter productive to have him bouncing in and out of ketosis and may well keep cravings an issue.

Good on you for being your Dad's diet buddy! Many years ago, my Dad and I were diet buddies. It was such a good experience. I only wish he had stuck with it - maybe would have avoided the illness that ultimately was his demise.

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lovetoknit
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinking_thinly View Post
My dad is interested in starting a HFLC diet. I presented him with the science, and the benefits and he is eager to start! He is 6'1" and approximately 400lbs, so he desperately needs to loos the weight, even a little would benefit him greatly! I even said I would be his diet partner! However, one thing that has stymied us both; what to pack in his lunch? He is a truck driver, working 16 hrs a day in his truck. He is used to 2 big sandwiches, a couple of granola bars, maybe a yogurt, fruit cup, and whatever else my mom packs in their. What would be some good on the go lunches for this WOE? My idea's consisted of peperoni slices, cheese cubes, and deviled eggs. Not much variety at all and would get boring after a while! What would y'all suggest?
My husband likes to eat summer sausage, and pepperoni bits. He also likes cucumber, and pork rinds. Pepperoni is a good low carb snack. He also can eat some celery and raw green vegetables if he wants to have something crunchy. Cheese sticks are also good. I like boiled eggs as a good food that can be eaten with your fingers. Also your mom could bake up some chicken legs or thighs and put those in your dad's lunch. Make sure they have skin on them.
Carolyn
lovetoknit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I take my lunch to work, and don't use refrigeration or a microwave. I have a Fit and Fresh lunch on the go pack which has a 4 cup main box with two 1-cup interior boxes, and a cold pack. You can use the whole 4 cup main box for a Big-*ss-Salad, or combine something in the bottom with something in each of the two smaller containers. I also have a good, thin 2-cup Thermos for soup.

I make bone broth every week, and heat up a cup or so of it in the microwave, then season with a spoonful of miso paste, some hot sauce, and top with butter. This is my soup. In a pre-heated Thermos, it stays hot for hours.

Here are some of the things I bring for lunch:
  • Big salad: greens and veggies (I LOVE radishes), topped with meat (whatever's leftover). A hard-cooked egg. Sometimes a small container of pecans or pistachios to top it. Homemade vinegar/oil dressing of the week. Baby Belle cheese. Olives. Whatever hits my fancy.
  • Meat and cheese rollups. Sometimes just luncheon meat (microwave the rolls for 5-10 seconds to soften the cheese, then refrigerate overnight. they harden back up and keep the roll shape)
  • Other times I spread cream cheese or a spread on the meat and roll it around a thin slice of pickle or scallion or avocado or celery.
  • Tuna salad, egg salad, chicken salad, ham salad (mix up the seasonings... curry's great with eggs, and jerk seasoning great with chicken, to give some variety). Cheese or liverwurst dips. Scoop and eat it with pork rinds or celery.
  • Marinated vegetables. Green beans are very low-carb. Microwave fresh beans until crisp-tender, then top with vinegar/oil and sprinkle with bacon and pepper. Top them when they're still warm so the flavor seeps in. Refrigerate, then pack. (also good with Chinese sauces and sesame oil)
  • Bratwurst or Keilbasa, cooked, then packed with a nice mustard, or in a nest of kraut. (this one does better at room temperature than cold, and even better warmed up a bit. But it's tasty no matter the temp)
  • If he doesn't mind eating cooled meat, try meatballs or sliced roast chicken or pork with dipping sauces of sour cream/sriracha or mayo/mustard.

I also keep tuna pouches, nuts, olive oil, peanut butter, Slim Jims, and vienna sausages in my desk at work, to supplement as needed.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: buttonwillow
WOE: Atkins '72
Start Date: RE-start date Feb. 2, 2008
I would like to suggest that Dad be "allowed" greater leeway, in terms of carbs, until he becomes accustomed to this way of eating and finds the fat dropping off. With success, he will be more motivated to cut the carbs even further. At his present weight, cutting his carbs in half, even though that number may be pretty high to you and me, will bring him some success.

Dad has a long way to go and, in time, people often get impatient. Thinking Thinly, if you think this might be so for your dad, perhaps a slower start would work. A few of his favorite foods, though a little carby, might smooth the way.

If he is receptive, a daughter who continues to educate and encourage him can probably convince him to cut his carbs more and more as time goes on.

And, as always, if hunger threatens, eat more fat.

Started Atkins 2/4/03
Height 5' 6"
Start Weight-- 165
Re-induct 2/3/08
Reduce carbs & calories 6/28/09
Weight on 9/13/09 151.5 lbs
buttonwillow is offline   Reply With Quote