Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: NYCPhT
Stats: 288/266/144
WOE: NK / HFLC
Start Date: 09/20/2013
Ladies help a newbie out please :0)

Ladies I am new to keto dieting and I have 1 really important question that noone has been able to give me an answer for. Has anyone had any problems with amenorrhea? Missed or severely delayed cycle? Thanks.

A little history, TMI (sorry)...I started my diet abruptly on 9/20/13 weighing 288 lbs? I lost 13 lbs in the first 2 weeks then fell off the wagon (BDay celebration, etc.), regained my stride and lost another 3-4 lbs by the end of the third week. I was due to start my cycle 10/12 but nothing. Took HPTs at 4,11 & 17 days late all negative. I was due to begin my next cycle 11/9 and again nothing. Im usually like clockwork, in 18 years ive only been late twice. Both times i waited two weeks and things went back to business as usual. The only thing different in my life is the diet. I backed off a little and even added carbs back into my diet to see if that was the problem but to no avail... Have a Drs appoint scheduled but just wanted insight from someone more experienced with this...
NYCPhT is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/212/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
I'm sorry that I can't help answer your question. I just wanted to say congrats on the weightloss.When I did have a cycle(complete hysterectomy at age 30) LC helped me to stay regular. I had your problem only when eating a crappy SAD. LC was what helped me to get pregnant.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
I read this situation happen to another lady recently,and someone mentioned something like excess hormones being secreted when you lose weight.
I have the opposite problem.I am having my cycles too short after losing some weight and they are getting closer together and freaking me out.two months in a row,23 days only.ovulation happens right after periods,again freaking me out as to what's going on.Once in a while I do get a very late period,I wouldn't worry too much.
Congrats on the stellar weight loss!
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: elliot
Stats: 132/117/110
WOE: NK - HFLC/Atkins Induction
Start Date: Aug 2013
I too am like clockwork, but since this WOE and running (or working out) evey time I do a major change like a new set of workouts/intensity etc, it affects my body and things get delayed. This last month I was delayed by almost a week. I know thats nothing compared to what you are going through now, but I can understand the frustration of just wanting to get it out of your mind and move on.

On the bright side, I struggle less with things like fatigue now. Previously it was 2 weeks of fatigue, to the point of all I wanted to do was sleep. My Doc suggested a tab for the PMS and was taking them but less frequently now (on low-carb that is).

As Lowcarbella said, as you lose fat, some hormones are lost too and that can cause delays too. Speak with your doc and hopefully you'll get some answers.

btw, congrats on your weight loss
elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: keo480
I normally have varying periods that go from 28-90 days but when I am in ketosis it gets worse, like a period every 50-60 days instead of a little shorter. I am on the pill (pop so I ovulate) so it's not like I am trying to get pregnant. My guess it's the hormones and your body in general trying to regulate. My question is, when you go to the dr and they tell you they think lc is unhealthy (which it isn't) are you going to quit? Or is your dr lc friendly? Please don't take offense to my question, I've been in that situation with my pcp.
keo480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
Junior LCF Member

Thanks for the encouragement

Thank you ladies!!! I am really proud myself and what I achieved in such a short space of time but my happiness is tempered because I don't know what's going on with my body & wether or not it's serious or something simple. I see my GYN 9/16 and I'll request bloodwork AND a transvaginal ultrasound for my own piece of mind and I guess take it from there...

As for my GYN I'm not sure what his reaction will be to my HFLC diet but hopefully I can sell him on it. I won't mention NK, I'll just tell him I'm following Atkins because that's usually easier for people digest. I just saw him for an annual checkup in mid July. He actually scolded me like child about my weight gain and told me to do something about it so I did. If he asked me to stop dieting I would do it IF AND ONLY IF he could prove to me that it was causing me harm (messing with my endocrine system, etc.).

Wish me luck
Old 11-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 205/185/140
WOE: LC/Experimenting w/ NK
Start Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCPhT View Post
Thank you ladies!!! I am really proud myself and what I achieved in such a short space of time but my happiness is tempered because I don't know what's going on with my body & wether or not it's serious or something simple. I see my GYN 9/16 and I'll request bloodwork AND a transvaginal ultrasound for my own piece of mind and I guess take it from there...

As for my GYN I'm not sure what his reaction will be to my HFLC diet but hopefully I can sell him on it. I won't mention NK, I'll just tell him I'm following Atkins because that's usually easier for people digest. I just saw him for an annual checkup in mid July. He actually scolded me like child about my weight gain and told me to do something about it so I did. If he asked me to stop dieting I would do it IF AND ONLY IF he could prove to me that it was causing me harm (messing with my endocrine system, etc.).

Wish me luck
Hi NYCPhT! Your situation sounds very similar to mine a few years ago. I was at the highest weight I'd ever been, and my cycle, which had previously been like clockwork for years, started getting messed up, with long pauses between menstruation. My doc was for low carb if I that was what I wanted, she just wanted me working on weight loss. I had very similar results to you, though my introduction to LC was the Coconut Diet (not as LC as Atkins or NK though). I also had used acupuncture and herbs for other issues previously, and embarked on a regimen prescribed by my acupunturist and approved by my doc. Doc thought because my blood sugar was up also that I might have PCOS, I had the vaginal ultrasound to look for cyst and none were found. She did not diagnose me, but said you can still have PCOS and not have cysts.
Anyway, after 3-4 months my cycle started shortening, to about 32 days (down from 38-50 days, my normal was always 28). And then....
I got pregnant with DS (unexpected, but welcomed).

I was on and IUD after DS was born (for reasons too long to get into here) and had it out after almost 2 years because I felt it was affecting me badly, and a lot of my symptoms did go away after I had it out. Now that I have my cycle back it is regular, which I attribute to LC, 30 days.
Well, that's my story - just thought I would share.
Don't let your doc bully you into changing your diet if it works for you. He doesn't have to live in your body!
Hope it gets sorted out for you.Cheers!
alex_in_wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Junior LCF Member

So I took another early result test HPT on Tue and it was again negative, then Wed night out of the blue my cycle stated!!! A full SIXTY DAYS!!! It's the worst I've had in recent memory but I'm still super happy...