Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   I get a feeling I'm really eating so much more than all of you... (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/816659-i-get-feeling-im-really-eating-so-much-more-than-all-you.html)

Mimosa23 11-06-2013 07:42 AM

I get a feeling I'm really eating so much more than all of you...
 
I look at all your menus and the quantities you eat and I'm thinking that I'm the biggest glutton in the world! :eek::lol:

I do fast some days but on the days I'd eat 'normally' I vastly exceed what I read here, give or take an exception or two.

I have done the whole calculation thing, but with my height (5'10") and build (large) I'd be absolutely eating my arms off if I'd have to stick with all your menus for more than one day. I would say my caloric intake lies anywhere between 1800 and 2500...

It just made me realise how different we all are and how interesting this NK business is. :high5:

Can't really compare anyone to oneself, can we?

Ntombi 11-06-2013 08:29 AM

My caloric average is around 1800, and I have days when I eat much more than that, and days when I'm not hungry and eat under 1000.

I'm 5'6" with a large frame and a lot of muscle mass (under the fat). I eat ~120g of protein per day, for example, some days up to 180g, because I'm trying to keep my 154 lbs of LBM as I lose fat. Most women my age (following NK) eat well under 100g. If I ate the amount they do, I'd be losing quite a bit of muscle along with the fat. No thanks.

Shoot, my goal weight is higher than yours, but if all goes to plan when I get there, I'll have a BF of 20%, which is on the lean side. It is what it is. :)

lovetoknit 11-06-2013 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimosa23 (Post 16673056)
I look at all your menus and the quantities you eat and I'm thinking that I'm the biggest glutton in the world! :eek::lol:

I do fast some days but on the days I'd eat 'normally' I vastly exceed what I read here, give or take an exception or two.

I have done the whole calculation thing, but with my height (5'10") and build (large) I'd be absolutely eating my arms off if I'd have to stick with all your menus for more than one day. I would say my caloric intake lies anywhere between 1800 and 2500...

It just made me realise how different we all are and how interesting this NK business is. :high5:

Can't really compare anyone to oneself, can we?


I am 5 feet 4 inches, and I eat about 1500 calories a day. It looks on paper that I do not eat much, but that is because most of my calories are fat. I am never hungry.
Carolyn

AnnetteW 11-06-2013 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoknit (Post 16673472)
I am 5 feet 4 inches, and I eat about 1500 calories a day. It looks on paper that I do not eat much, but that is because most of my calories are fat. I am never hungry.
Carolyn

I also think I eat so much more than others here, but I think Carolyn has a point. If you eat so much fat, it doesn't look like you are eating as much.

Some people really have the fat down. I eat my fat, but I eat what I eat...and that means no fat bombs for me.

Everyone definitely has their own eating habits, something that is so obvious when you see other people's daily menus.

keo480 11-06-2013 05:55 PM

I purposely signed up here to discuss this topic. I did Atkins in 2010 and lost 30 lbs two years after I had my first child. I don't remember eating this many calories before and looked up my tracker log from 2010 and usually stayed under 2000.

I am two years out from having my second child and trying to lose the last 20 lbs. I am not following Atkins because I cannot exercise under 20 grams. I am too fatiqued. So now I am just eating low carb and working out a lot. Cardio, body weight and free weights almost daily.

OK, back on topic, Before I workout my calorie in-take could be closing in on 2400. I am not afraid of fats, obviously. So far this week, I've been netting between 2000 and 2300. I am 5'6" and weigh in the high 140's possibly. I am not weighing again until I go to the dr on 11/27. I think this might hinder me. I have checked my keto stix and I am in ketosis, but we all know that means nothing.

Green 11-21-2013 09:18 AM

Mimosa, I feel the same way sometimes.

Keo, I'm right there with you. It looks like we have similar goals too.

So, I'm 5'4" with a small frame (muscular though) and still netting more than 2000 a day. I haven't checked my weight since I re-started a couple weeks ago. From what I understand though, not eating enough calories on a low-carb diet is a fast-track for thyroid issues. I'm probably eating at only a 200k deficit at most, depending on the calculator. I also worry it isn't enough for weight loss, but I'm trying to follow my hunger cues. So we'll see. I plan on weighing next week.

Mimosa23 11-21-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnetteW (Post 16673756)
I also think I eat so much more than others here, but I think Carolyn has a point. If you eat so much fat, it doesn't look like you are eating as much.

Some people really have the fat down. I eat my fat, but I eat what I eat...and that means no fat bombs for me.

Everyone definitely has their own eating habits, something that is so obvious when you see other people's daily menus.


I found the fat bombs hinder my weightloss as does tons of extra EVCO and butter. I limit myself to one BPC a day, and I now only have them on the weekend now. When I make bone broth, I add a pat of butter to my mug when I drink some, but I count that as a meal or as a part of my meal. I don't just eat fat for the sake of it anymore.

I found by stopping the fat bombs and such, my weightloss is steadier. As of today I've lost 20 lbs! And that whilst having inflammation and eating high calorie and high fat! Life can't get any better than this, LOL! :jumpjoy:

Spanilingo 11-22-2013 05:01 AM

I'm 5 ft 1 and very small boned. From a calorie point both losing and maintaining I would eat from 1000 to over 2000 (or more) calories a day and carbs 10 to 50 most days. Weeks I ate high and weeks I ate low.

Still- even at a 2000-2500 a day it was much less than I ate before low carb. Less protein , fat and carbs. Burger , fries, salad and a coke out me over my daily requirements at one meal so I wouldn't sweat what you doing now in comparison to anyone else if its workin!

It's a good place to be until yiu need to adjust

Patience 11-25-2013 07:23 AM

Mimosa, are you losing inches and weight?

I wonder sometimes about fat, too.
I am losing but very slowly over the last two months (1/2 lbs). I did have a little carb creep, but I am wondering about the extra fat I am adding to my coffee. I do measure and figure I can cut back a bit. Perhaps by switching my third cup of coffee to herbal or green tea, without added fat. I got over my love affair with fatbombs earlier this year.
Now they are only rare emergency rations.

Mimosa23 11-25-2013 07:54 AM

Patience, I've just started losing weight again. I stopped due to inflammation and taking painkillers and that brought my weightloss to a halt. Now that I'm getting my back sorted out, I dropped some pounds again (total of 20lbs lost now) and I am losing inches too.

I have calculated my macros using a keto calculator, and have done the whole protein and carb requirements and I fill in with fat to get my numbers to work. So far it's finally really working! I also don't eat very low protein. My numbers are higher than quite a few here, but I'm also taller than a lot of people here and I am built quite big, so I think my numbers are ok for now.

unna 11-26-2013 12:48 AM

Mimosa, I find the Dutch are taller and have bigger frames than other cultures. I assume you would need significantly more calories. The Dutch are, on average, much much taller/larger (not fatter) than the Americans. They are even significantly larger than the Germans and other Northern Europeans... perfect supermodel height!

I also find your culture interesting because the Dutch LOVE fat and have been eating tons of it for centuries! Of course there is the lovely fatty cheese, fatty fish, and everything else in Holland is fried!

You could say that you, in particular, have evolved to eat a high fat diet - it is truly in your genes.

Mimosa23 11-26-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unna (Post 16696921)
Mimosa, I find the Dutch are taller and have bigger frames than other cultures. I assume you would need significantly more calories. The Dutch are, on average, much much taller/larger (not fatter) than the Americans. They are even significantly larger than the Germans and other Northern Europeans... perfect supermodel height!

I also find your culture interesting because the Dutch LOVE fat and have been eating tons of it for centuries! Of course there is the lovely fatty cheese, fatty fish, and everything else in Holland is fried!

You could say that you, in particular, have evolved to eat a high fat diet - it is truly in your genes.

Yes you're right! I am taller and bigger built than most women I know here. In my family, my sister and I are small, LOL! For me, a US size 8/10 looks good on me: I look quite thin! That is of course the old size 8, not vanity size, LOL! It corresponds to european size 38/40, which is a UK size 12. I look perfectly good, healthy, thin when I wear that size. Definitely to do with my build and frame. (now just to get back to it, LOL)

And you're right, traditionally, the Dutch like fatty foods and lots of vegetables, with meat gravy or butter, LOL. I love traditional Dutch food and I know that I only have to substitute the potatoes (they love potatoes too) for cauliflower and I can make all the nice stews, and one pan dishes that I know from my childhood. :jumpjoy:


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:28 PM.