Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Frying oil (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/816480-frying-oil.html)

geobom 11-03-2013 04:53 PM

Frying oil

What is the best oil for deep frying chicken wings?

lowcarbella 11-03-2013 06:32 PM

I have always used CO with no problems and nice aroma.

Ntombi 11-03-2013 06:50 PM

I use coconut oil (virgin has the smell and taste, expeller pressed does not) or extra light olive oil.

metqa 11-03-2013 06:56 PM

If I had enough Ghee, I'd fry with it.

I oven "fried" some wings last week by putting a layer of ghee at the bottom of the pan and regularly turning the wings over in the oil , while it was under the broiler. It was the best "fried" wings I'd had.

geobom 11-04-2013 03:04 AM

I have the virgin CO and could not imagine frying chicken with it. I have to get the expeller pressed today and try it.
What is Ghee? Many post I have read talk about this, but I've never seen it in the grocery stores. Is this something that can be bought at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods?

metqa 11-04-2013 04:53 AM

TJ's or WF's? Maybe.

It's clarified butter. Butter that has had all of the water and milk solids removed leaving only the butterfat behind. It can withstand higher temperatures without turning black because there is no sugar to burn and discolor. But if while making it, you allow the butter solids to brown without burning, the oil takes on a sweet caramel aroma and tastes even awesomer.

I make my own, but you can buy it in a health food store. The first time I made it, I nearly burned the bits, but the flavor came out phenomenal. Since then, I've been more careful and BF says it's been more bland.

It's great for pan frying, sauce making or just drizzling over veggies or meats. I've even sweetened it and used it as "syrup on faux pancakes.

Punkin 11-04-2013 06:17 AM

It depends on how high the temperature is. I have had problems with olive oil and coconut oil because they start smoking at lower temperatures. Some of the best are actually the cheapest if you are going to fry at high heats. Canola, peanut, vegetable oil. Some types of olive oil (usually light).

Ntombi 11-04-2013 01:20 PM

Coconut oil has a fairly high smoke point, actually.

And I used to use those oils for frying, but I'm working on using healthier oils now. Those vegetable oils are no longer in my home.

Mistizoom 11-04-2013 05:06 PM

I use lard from pastured pork. It works fine for me at 350-375 F. I would prefer tallow but it is much harder for me to obtain.

geobom 11-04-2013 06:07 PM

I have read that certain oils are not good for you at high temps. And some oils, such as canola, vegetable & olive oil are not good for you for high temp deep frying. Has to do with too much omega 6 etc....

Mistizoom 11-04-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geobom (Post 16671068)
I have read that certain oils are not good for you at high temps. And some oils, such as canola, vegetable & olive oil are not good for you for high temp deep frying. Has to do with too much omega 6 etc....

There is nothing wrong with olive oil. It is a good fat. The whole "don't fry with olive oil" seems to be a readily perpuated myth. It really depends on the oil's smoke point whether you can fry with it. Ntombi says she uses extra light olive oil for deep frying on occasion. I don't do that but would have no qualms if I had a large quantity of extra light olive oil on hand. I do pan fry with extra-virgin olive oil frequently. Works very well. Canola and vegetable oil, on the other hand, should be avoided because of the high omega-6 content and for other reasons such as they generally are GMO. You can fry with them, of course, but they aren't healthy oils like some of the others mentioned.

GME 11-04-2013 06:34 PM

I have seen ghee at Trader Joe's by the coconut oil.

Doesn't palm oil have a pretty high smoke point and a good profile?

lawrencep93 11-05-2013 04:06 AM

I use a small pan and shallow fry in coconut oil.

shelleyvdp 11-07-2013 12:59 PM

Mark Sisson (primal blueprint) says that if you can't use beef tallow to deep fry, rice bran oil is the next best option. Do not ever heat olive oil anywhere near smoke point, which is quite low for olive oil. Shallow fry in butter, lard, coconut oil or bacon grease......

Mistizoom 11-07-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelleyvdp (Post 16674947)
Mark Sisson (primal blueprint) says that if you can't use beef tallow to deep fry, rice bran oil is the next best option. Do not ever heat olive oil anywhere near smoke point, which is quite low for olive oil. Shallow fry in butter, lard, coconut oil or bacon grease......

The smoke point for extra light olive oil is 468 F (242 C) which is actually quite high. There are not too many oils/fats with a higher smoke point.

Ntombi 11-07-2013 10:43 PM

Yes, there's a big difference between extra virgin and extra light olive oils.

clackley 11-08-2013 06:14 AM

Bacon fat works great for frying at higher temps. It does not seem to transfer flavour that I have noticed.

Ntombi 11-08-2013 09:27 AM

I also use bacon fat, rendered pork fat, any meat fat that is salvageable is saved and use to fry or sauté. :yummy: