Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2013, 04:02 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: AnnetteW
Stats: 182/144/135 (5'5", 50 yrs)
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Restart: May 6, 2013 @ 165lbs
High Fat Chat for NOVEMBER

Hope no one minds the title change. This thread is where you can just chat in general about eating in Nutritional Ketosis and the NK Lifestyle. Tell us how your day has been, let's get to know each other a bit and support each other in our journeys.

If you ate Halloween candy, be prepared to pay the price today. Keep those carbs down, get back on track and go forward.

I didn't have any candy, and though it smelled good, candy is kind of off the plan. I still have problems with eating out though, something for me to work on.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nill4me
Stats: 244/233/160-ish
WOE: LCHF/NK
Start Date: 9/9/13
Thanks for starting off November Annette. No candy here…other than my nightly fat bomb. candy-ish, but i always leave a place for it. I've been struggling again...ketones not above .5 all darn week….i don't get it. I think i have some major tweaking to do. i've started reading on one of the bodybuilder forums also. not that i want to be a body builder…but its another resource. I am really finding it hard to find that calorie/protein balance. I have the carbs down…no problem there. i am starting to think my zen lies somewhere in dunes of calorie and protein land….and finding the right mix of all to give me steady BG readings, ketone readings and weight loss. although, i'll be happy with steady BG.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Love the thread title Annette! And love your new avi!

No candy in this house for Halloween. I did however, buy small sacs of potato chips and handed those out. Not much (if any) better than candy except the lack of actual sugar. I had one woman appear on my door step 'trick or treating' with a babe in arms and no sign of costume at all with the possible exception of a plastic shopping bag. I gave her a bag of chips which I sincerely hopes she doesn't try to feed to her baby.

Going to a talk by Dr. William Davis tonight. He is the author of Wheat Belly. I am very interested in what he may have to say and wonder if he will talk about ketogenic diets at all? I have wondered, if I had a chance to ask him a question directly, what that might be. Blank....

"The energy content of food (calories) matters, but it is less important than the metabolic effect of food on our body." Dr. P. Attia

"dumping carbohydrates on your broken metabolism is tantamount to doing jumping jacks on two broken legs" -The Spark of Reason

“Eat animals. Mostly fat. Enjoy!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MerryKate
Stats: 252/201.5/175
WOE: Nutritional ketosis
Start Date: LC: 04/11 • Restart 04/14
I don't do Halloween candy either - we live in a quiet area and never get trick-or-treaters, so I'm spared the dilemma of giving someone's child food I regard as poison, or being the jerk that doesn't play along at Halloween. OTOH, sugar doesn't tempt me anymore. I can make enough sugar-free substitutes for what I like, usually in the form of fat bombs. When I was a kid (before the food tampering scares of the 80s) our neighbors would make their halloween treats. Wish we still could.

My Halloween treat was half a Jonagold apple, but I was quite annoyed that it turned out to be mealy. Before I started NK I ate apples daily, and pears whenever I could get them. I rarely eat fruit anymore, but I live 2 miles from the best farm stand in the NW, so during apple and pear season I'll buy a few fruits and eat them no more than once a week. :/ On the good side, my ketones were still at 0.6 this morning, so it didn't throw me off too badly.

Last edited by MerryKate; 11-01-2013 at 02:01 PM..
MerryKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/204/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: Atkins 4/12 Nutritional Ketosis 1/13
My family and I just got home from a long trip to see my DDs doctor in DC. So glad to be back home and back to my own kitchen. I do awful trying to stay on plan when traveling. I just unravel!! Back to it tomorrow. Unfortunately, I did eat Halloween candy....and even more unfortunate, it still tastes good.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:07 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nill4me View Post
Thanks for starting off November Annette. No candy here…other than my nightly fat bomb. candy-ish, but i always leave a place for it. I've been struggling again...ketones not above .5 all darn week….i don't get it. I think i have some major tweaking to do. i've started reading on one of the bodybuilder forums also. not that i want to be a body builder…but its another resource. I am really finding it hard to find that calorie/protein balance. I have the carbs down…no problem there. i am starting to think my zen lies somewhere in dunes of calorie and protein land….and finding the right mix of all to give me steady BG readings, ketone readings and weight loss. although, i'll be happy with steady BG.
Have you posted what you've been eating? If not, post away, and maybe we can help. It is frustrating when you think you should have certain ketone readings and you don't.

I've decided not to track them anymore as even when I cheated I showed blood ketones readings. Not that it's an excuse to cheat, it's just a way not to spend extra money on strips.

I figure as my blood glucose goes down, my ketones are probably going up. And I have to track those FBG readings every day.
AnnetteW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Love the thread title Annette! And love your new avi!

No candy in this house for Halloween. I did however, buy small sacs of potato chips and handed those out. Not much (if any) better than candy except the lack of actual sugar. I had one woman appear on my door step 'trick or treating' with a babe in arms and no sign of costume at all with the possible exception of a plastic shopping bag. I gave her a bag of chips which I sincerely hopes she doesn't try to feed to her baby.

Going to a talk by Dr. William Davis tonight. He is the author of Wheat Belly. I am very interested in what he may have to say and wonder if he will talk about ketogenic diets at all? I have wondered, if I had a chance to ask him a question directly, what that might be. Blank....
That's just too cool getting to see Mr. WheatBelly himself. Please report back, take lots of notes.

Questions...anything related to being female and ketosis, and perimenopause or menopause. And how hard it is to lose weight, etc.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I don't do Halloween candy either - we live in a quiet area and never get trick-or-treaters, so I'm spared the dilemma of giving someone's child food I regard as poison, or being the jerk that doesn't play along at Halloween. OTOH, sugar doesn't tempt me anymore. I can make enough sugar-free substitutes for what I like, usually in the form of fat bombs. When I was a kid (before the food tampering scares of the 80s) our neighbors would make their halloween treats. Wish we still could.

My Halloween treat was half a Jonagold apple, but I was quite annoyed that it turned out to be mealy. Before I started NK I ate apples daily, and pears whenever I could get them. I rarely eat fruit anymore, but I live 2 miles from the best farm stand in the NW, so during apple and pear season I'll buy a few fruits and eat them no more than once a week. :/ On the good side, my ketones were still at 0.6 this morning, so it didn't throw me off too badly.
Yea, for good ketones and for a yummy apple. I don't really eat fruit anymore though I pop the occasional grape. I do love a nice crisp apple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
My family and I just got home from a long trip to see my DDs doctor in DC. So glad to be back home and back to my own kitchen. I do awful trying to stay on plan when traveling. I just unravel!! Back to it tomorrow. Unfortunately, I did eat Halloween candy....and even more unfortunate, it still tastes good.
Of course it tastes good. I have never understood the comment people make about losing a taste for something. Sorry...but a McDonalds hamburger and fries would taste super duper yummy to me right now...and candy, and chips and anything else forbidden.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Checkoutchick
Stats: 199/151/143
WOE: Atkins (NANY)
Start Date: 17/06/13
Well I'm just struggling with my last 15lb
It seems to be going ever so slow now, although I lost 6lb last month
My fasted blood ketones are 0.6 mmol/L, BG 5.3.
I'm finding it much harder to keep my protein down than my carbs
Checkoutchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Looks like you are doing very well checkoutchick! Losing 6lbs in a month is excellent progress. Your ketones are within range so you must be eating appropriate to your situation.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clackley View Post
Looks like you are doing very well checkoutchick! Losing 6lbs in a month is excellent progress. Your ketones are within range so you must be eating appropriate to your situation.
I wouldn't mind getting my average ketone levels up a bit more. A couple of days FF pushes them to about 3.9.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
Chatty Cathy

Is that a first thing in the morning, fasted reading??? If so, what is it that brings them down so dramatically?
Old 11-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Yes fasted readings. I only test once a week max because the test strips are so expensive.
I've done two FFs and my ketones just shot up. A week later back to LC/HF/NK and they drop. I do drink red wine most weekends

Last edited by Checkoutchick; 11-02-2013 at 12:30 PM..
Old 11-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
Chatty Cathy

That is quite a difference.
Old 11-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I just got strips and started testing, in light of the fact that I'm doing a 16-hour fast (stop eating at 8 p.m. and fast until noon the next day). My ketones were 0.4 this morning when I awoke (approx. 12 hours after eating), and 0.7 at 2 p.m. when I'm getting ready to have lunch. I did have 2 cups of coffee over the last 3 hours, with 1 tb hwc each. Would that affect my ketone readings?
Old 11-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryKate View Post
I just got strips and started testing, in light of the fact that I'm doing a 16-hour fast (stop eating at 8 p.m. and fast until noon the next day). My ketones were 0.4 this morning when I awoke (approx. 12 hours after eating), and 0.7 at 2 p.m. when I'm getting ready to have lunch. I did have 2 cups of coffee over the last 3 hours, with 1 tb hwc each. Would that affect my ketone readings?
Your ketones will be at their lowest in the morning (fasted) and will rise throughout the day. If you're above 0.5 mmol/L fasted, you're in Ketosis.

The optimum range is between 0.5 - 3.0 mmol/L.
That's why I'm trying to figure out how to push mine up on average without doing frequent FFs.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

MerryKate, you might just wait a few days before you test again to see if they go up.

I'm out of strips now so not testing, but I was in NK every time I tested, but never super high.

I'm amazed at how my food choices have changed so much lately. I am still experimenting now with not eating salads and raw veggies (I keep having diarrhea.)

Yesterday I had the following:

Coffee, cream
smoked trout and cheddar cheese
1/2 acorn squash (22 g carbs, 3 fiber) sausage and cheese filling
sunflower seeds
much too much wine
1 chicken thigh, some stirfried veggies

I can see that my protein is probably right around 70 g (that's my estimate) carbs are maybe 35g (not counting wine) and fat not high enough. I don't usually eat 1/2 a squash.

Now it's kind of hard to think of what to eat if I don't eat a salad.

My weight has been totally stable for 2 months now, I'm not losing, but I'm not trying either. It's nice not to have to try so hard. I'm going to have to ditch the wine to lose weight, and I don't like that plan...lol

Last edited by AnnetteW; 11-03-2013 at 05:04 AM..
Old 11-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: snowangel9
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: which time?
Hi everyone! Maybe you guys can give me some advice. I have been eating Maria Emmerich's plan for over a month, she's HFLC. A lot of her recipes are super low carb, but. Isn't there always a but? After the first week and initial loss of five pounds, I haven't been able to lose any more.

I have never had a problem losing weight, ever. The only thing that changed was adding supplements. I all ready took quite a few and she added some. So, the question is, could some of these supplement be screwing me up?

She gave me a couple for 'thyroid health'. I take a thyroid med. so I am thinking these might be the culprit? I am just at a loss. I do plan on making an appointment tomorrow to see a naturopath. I just can't figure it out. To say it's frustrating would be putting it mildly.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

My ketones were at 0.6 this morning, which is better, but sadly my weight is still up...just not budging. I suspect it's estrogen dominance playing games with water weight.

FWIW, I did the second ketone test on Friday because I was curious to know what effect a longer-term fast would have on ketones. I was at 0.4 mmo/L at 9 a.m. in the morning, and at 0.7 mmo/L at 2 p.m., having consumed only 2 TB of hwc in coffee during those 5 hours. It was enough to encourage me that the 16-hour fast is helping to push my body to burn more of its own fat. The other good thing about the fast is that I'm eating fewer calories. The scale has to start moving soon.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:31 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Hi Snowangel!

What are the supplements you added? As a general rule, be aware that supplements do have nutritional value, and quite a few herbal supplements ad a carb or two to your total. On the other hand, it could simply be due to your body adjusting to the low-carb diet. A lot of women will report great losses in the first week or two, and then seem to stall out for a while as the body adjusts. The weight loss will show up again later, if that's the case, but it's frustrating while it goes on.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:14 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowangel9 View Post
Hi everyone! Maybe you guys can give me some advice. I have been eating Maria Emmerich's plan for over a month, she's HFLC. A lot of her recipes are super low carb, but. Isn't there always a but? After the first week and initial loss of five pounds, I haven't been able to lose any more.

I have never had a problem losing weight, ever. The only thing that changed was adding supplements. I all ready took quite a few and she added some. So, the question is, could some of these supplement be screwing me up?

She gave me a couple for 'thyroid health'. I take a thyroid med. so I am thinking these might be the culprit? I am just at a loss. I do plan on making an appointment tomorrow to see a naturopath. I just can't figure it out. To say it's frustrating would be putting it mildly.

Welcome! I've been reading Maria's stuff lately too, very nicely done. Just bought a cookbook yesterday.

I doubt supplements will keep you from losing weight. But there's no way of knowing for sure.

I truly believe it just super hard to lose weight for so many women. We have dieted so many times in our lives that our bodies are just somewhat compromised. We have to allow ourselves to heal nutritionally before we can hope to lose weight, before our bodies are comfortable enough to lose weight.

I started back to low carb the beginning of May this year, and the first month I dropped 10 lbs, and then it was slow, until it slowed down to a crawl, and now my body is just maintaining itself. But heck, I'm not ready to maintain and I'm still eating very high fat and low carb and am in Nutritional Ketosis.

May 1 - 165
June 1 - 155
July 1 - 153
Aug 1 - 150
Sept 1 - 147
Oct 1 - 145
Nov 1 - 146

Obviously something has to change for me to lose another 10 lbs, and it's going to be some sort of restriction...and I refuse to use the dreaded word "calorie."

I sure wish there was more direct research on women and nutritional ketosis and low carbing in general. Everything I read always makes it sound so easy to drop the pounds, and from everything I read here, it isn't as easy as that.

I'm 50, on hormones (my only meds) and in pretty good shape. I should be able to easily lose 10 more pounds.

So what needs to give? Next week I plan on reigning in on my diet a little more as I start up a new exercise program. I've not been exercising much lately.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #22
Chatty Cathy

Amen, Annette! Well said.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the replies. I'm over 50, but still. The only meds I am on is the thyroid. About a year and a half ago one of my daughters, her boyfriend and I all did MediFast. Had no problem dropping 30lbs. I've never had a problem losing, until now.

MerryKate, that may have something to do with it, the carbs in them but I question that because I have so few in my meals. The ones that I question are the Ashwaghanda, guggal, kelp and spirulina, and L-Tryosine. Those are the ones I am least familiar with. And from what I've read are for thyroid health.

Yes, Maria has a of great information.. I've learned quite a bit and that's saying something because I read about this stuff a lot. I'm usually the one figuring out what's wrong. So this is weird for me..
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:

Just my 2 cents.

I have a lot of Maria's cookbooks and although I have never done her plan,I am guessing that her plan has lot more carbs.This is the idea I get when I read her cookbooks.She uses a LOT of almond flour and coconut flour in her recipes.Many of her recipes also contain higher carb veggies.I did not try any of her recipes just for this simple reason:they are higher carb and higher protein than I could handle.
That being said,it would be nice if you could track your daily carbs,protein and fat and see where you stand.
Also you may want to cross-check if you are using anything not on Atkins Induction list,which means they are higher impact carbs.

You said her plan is HFLC.how much fat and how much protein?
Is this customized for you?
At least this is where I would start.
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:32 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well.. Hmm Good points lowcarbella. No, it's not customized. I'd have to go check the ratios again, to be sure. But on her weight loss plans she uses egg whites and protein powder mostly. She doesn't recommend the almond flour recipes if you are trying to lose.

For example, I just made the protein popovers. They are just protein powder, eggs, almond milk and butter or coconut oil. They are supposed to be just 1.2 carbs each, serving is three. I never get the same amount she does. This time I doubled it and got 36 not 24. So, a couple of those with butter and cinnamon sugar and bacon is usually breakfast.

You know, when I first did Atkins, what I liked was, only having to worry about carbs. Everything else just kinda fell into place. Maybe I should re-think things...

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate all of your insights everyone!
snowangel9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
You know, when I first did Atkins, what I liked was, only having to worry about carbs. Everything else just kinda fell into place. Maybe I should re-think things...
I kind of like plain old Atkins Induction for day to day eating. And if you watch that protein isn't over consumed it's all the better.

I bought one of Maria's cookbooks the other day. I also listened to her recently on Jimmy Moore. What I got out of that is that they occasionally eat a dessert treat, not daily. I haven't looked at enough of the dinner recipes to see what's in those.

I'll be interested in her new Keto book coming out, this month I believe.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:01 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
I think protein powder and almond milk are higher in proteins and carbs.For me at least,they are stallers.

If you could try Atkins Induction for,say,2-3 days,or so or even a week,and see how you feel,and maybe make a choice there.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:03 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Barley is absolutely NOT my friend. Which, logically I know being a glutinous grain, but my husband was in the mood for a soup that had barley in it. I had no carbs at all yesterday, minus a salad with iceberg lettuce in it, so I though I'd just go ahead and have the soup for dinner, one small bowl.

As I ate, I bit into potatoes (quite yummy I might add, haven't had one of those in 5-6 months).

I did test my blood sugar last night and it was fine, at 100, but this morning my fasting was at 108.

This is what I notice, my blood sugar doesn't go back down like normal. I never saw a spike, though it could have happened in the middle of the night.

I'll be extra carb careful today.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:11 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

I just happened to find a ketone strip in my drawer, and it was my last one.

I tested and have 2.0 (still fasting). So even though the barley did bad things for my blood sugar, I didn't eat enough carbs to go out of ketosis.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #30
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I'm popping in here to say hi again!

I relegated to standard LC for a bit, I was dealing with too much recently (back, inflammation, eye trouble, travelling, etc) and it felt wrong to me to keep posting here as if nothing was going on!

Anyway, I'm back on track and I expect my Precision meter and strips to arrive soon, so I'll be able to really get my macros to work. Hoping to see some consistent weightloss...
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote