Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   Bulletproof Chai (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/815811-bulletproof-chai.html)

RebeccaLatham 10-23-2013 07:07 AM

Bulletproof Chai
 
My recipe for Bulletproof Chai:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tbYjmb8_UC.../s400/chai.jpg

12 oz. brewed, caffeinated chai
2 Tbs. grassfed, unsalted butter
1 Tbs. MCT oil
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
pinch sea salt
10 drops vanilla Stevia extract

Blend all ingredients together. It is important to blend so that the fat is emulsified into the liquid. If you don't blend, the fat floats on top of the liquid and it;s just not the same.

34.2g fat
0.3g protein
2.3g total carbs (not net)

I had this this morning and I think it rivals any froo froo hot drink you could get at Starbucks.

monica1210 10-23-2013 08:39 AM

That looks delicious! Question on how you blend....can an immersion blender work or is that not powerful enough?

I will try it tomorrow, but just curious how you blend.

Thanks and enjoy that cup of yum!

RebeccaLatham 10-23-2013 08:42 AM

I use my immersion blender and it works just fine!

monica1210 10-23-2013 09:01 AM

Yesssssss! I am all about the easy clean up! Especially since I am up very early!

Thank you for sharing! I can't wait to try this!

nill4me 10-23-2013 06:39 PM

I am going to give this one a go when I get home this weekend. It sounds so yummy, and a nice diversion from my coffee and hwc. Although, i do have a little battery powered whip i use to beat the hwc with some stevia before adding my coffee. It too reminds me of a coffee house drink.

clackley 10-23-2013 07:33 PM

Looks very good!

RebeccaLatham 10-23-2013 08:18 PM

I get to have it again tomorrow morning. Yay!

monica1210 10-24-2013 08:45 AM

I had this for breakfast and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks again for sharing! I can see this being a regular occurrence in my life. :)

itsmeshelly01 10-24-2013 01:35 PM

That sounds so good!! I wish bulletproof coffee or tea would actually keep me full.
I am still usually hungry for breakfast at least an hour later. Granted i havent tried that much fat. Maybe that would help.
I have been doing 1T of either MCT oil or CO and a little half and half.

RebeccaLatham 10-25-2013 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica1210 (Post 16656711)
I had this for breakfast and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks again for sharing! I can see this being a regular occurrence in my life. :)

You're very welcome! I'm glad you are enjoying it!

RebeccaLatham 10-25-2013 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmeshelly01 (Post 16657077)
That sounds so good!! I wish bulletproof coffee or tea would actually keep me full.
I am still usually hungry for breakfast at least an hour later. Granted i havent tried that much fat. Maybe that would help.
I have been doing 1T of either MCT oil or CO and a little half and half.

The large amount of fat it the whole point of keeping hunger away. If all you are doing is drinking coffee or tea with 1 Tbs. fat, it is no wonder you are hungry an hour later. :)

itsmeshelly01 10-25-2013 01:17 PM

I guess i need to try it and see how it works. I am noticing my hunger is finalizing going down. Thank god for that!!!

monica1210 10-26-2013 04:44 AM

Quick question...why butter and not heavy cream? Does something happen chemically to cream when it's converted to butter?

Hubby was asking me this last night when I was describing this little delightful drink. :)

lowcarbella 10-26-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham (Post 16655097)

Blend all ingredients together. It is important to blend so that the fat is emulsified into the liquid. If you don't blend, the fat floats on top of the liquid and it;s just not the same.

I totally agree.First time I tried,I did not blend bcoz I was reading the recipe too fast.I made coffee with CO and tea with ghee.They tasted so gross that even with sweetener I couldn't stand it.Down they went in the drain.

I kept wondering how people drink this stuff.

Then I chanced on the original BPC site,and realized that I had to blend in a blender.that was the 'aha' moment.It blends just right in ,and I don't taste the oil anymore.Also I used instant coffee,and one time I blended cold coffee ,it doesn't work,the coffee has to be hot.
I now add BPC coffee to breakfast if my fats are low.fast and convenient,tasty too.:up:

RebeccaLatham 10-26-2013 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monica1210 (Post 16658787)
Quick question...why butter and not heavy cream? Does something happen chemically to cream when it's converted to butter?

Hubby was asking me this last night when I was describing this little delightful drink. :)

I don't know the answer to that. I guess you would have to ask Dave Asprey, the Bulletproof Executive. Look for him on his website or on Facebook. On Facebook, look for Bulletproof Executive. When you get an answer, please share here.

lowcarbella 10-26-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RebeccaLatham (Post 16658936)
I don't know the answer to that. I guess you would have to ask Dave Asprey, the Bulletproof Executive. Look for him on his website or on Facebook. On Facebook, look for Bulletproof Executive. When you get an answer, please share here.

Some people use CO and MCT oil or ghee in coffee for its benefits.I just think adding HWC or butter wouldn't matter one way or the other.:confused:

RebeccaLatham 10-26-2013 03:20 PM

He has his reasons for adding pastured, unsalted butter, but I can't remember what they are.

luckymuma 10-27-2013 02:31 AM

It's to do with 'brown' fats I believe of which there are more of in butter than cream. Also from our pov, butter is slightly lower carb than cream.....


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:41 AM.