Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Nutritional Ketosis / High Fat, Low Carb (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/)
-   -   How long to see lab results? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/nutritional-ketosis-high-fat-low-carb/815547-how-long-see-lab-results.html)

DebbyCDA 10-20-2013 12:49 PM

How long to see lab results?

Hello!

Can anyone give me a ballpark idea of how soon after going lchf/keto to have good lab blood results (LDL/HDL/trig) show? I have an insurance exam coming up and while those results were fairly good pre-lchf (just watched my carbs), I wasn't so good for the last couple of weeks, but I was a much better eater this week. :o

Thanks!

Debby

ravenrose 10-20-2013 03:34 PM

oh boy. I am sure many others will weigh in, but this is my two cents worth.

if you want good results on lab tests when you are eating lchf, you need a patient doc who will do a VAP test and possibly do some studying to understand the results. these results are NOT what an insurance company will be looking for, I'm afraid. no one there is going to be interested in whether your LDL is composed mostly of the large, fluffy, harmless particles. nope.

I just had to do a blood test for a very difficult doc. I am TIRED of having to argue with her about statins. So I went the last 5 days before the test eating very low fat in addition to very low carb and moderate protein... in other words, I starved pretty much. It was NOT pleasant.

but I got my overall cholesterol down to 159 and LDL down to 100, the cutoff for being a problem in their minds. of course my triglycerides are very good. so she was pleased as punch.

eating high fat, my LDL runs 20-40 points higher than that which makes her very anxious. *sigh*

your blood lipids respond pretty quickly to your diet. 5 days is enough to see a major change.

another thing to take into account is that most cholesterol tests use a "difference calculation" to get your LDL value, which tends not to work well for low carbers. try to insist on a direct LDL test.

best of luck with this!

cherylockholmes 10-20-2013 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ravenrose (Post 16651337)
I just had to do a blood test for a very difficult doc. I am TIRED of having to argue with her about statins. So I went the last 5 days before the test eating very low fat in addition to very low carb and moderate protein... in other words, I starved pretty much. It was NOT pleasant.

but I got my overall cholesterol down to 159 and LDL down to 100, the cutoff for being a problem in their minds. of course my triglycerides are very good. so she was pleased as punch.

eating high fat, my LDL runs 20-40 points higher than that which makes her very anxious. *sigh*

Why would you put yourself through that to make some doctor happy? :dunno: It's your body, and if you and your doctor aren't on the same page, maybe it's time to find a new one? If that's not possible, then agree to disagree, but to adopt a diet that goes against everything you believe in so that some test makes someone else happy? Why?

cfine 10-21-2013 06:26 AM

I didn't even think about going low fat for a few days before bloodwork. Good idea. I'm having all of my blood tests done next Monday. I am going to try that even though my numbers have been looking good. Unfortunately, I fear that insurance companies are going to start insisting on us taking meds if our numbers don't look right or upping our premiums. I hope that doesn't happen, but I can see something like this coming.

MerryKate 10-21-2013 10:38 AM

That's part of what has me concerned with Obamacare. I suspect it's just a matter of time before the Medical Establishment insists we all follow their low-fat, high carb diet in order to qualify for medical care. :( And then browbeat us to death for gaining weight on it...

Ntombi 10-22-2013 04:26 AM

Sorry, I'm not going to change my diet for the illusion of a better result when I know my results are already stellar.

I don't know how long it takes for a LCHF diet to show changes in a lipid panel, as my cholesterol numbers were already very good before I went back on plan, and they remained very good after. My PCP wasn't thrilled when I told her I was going back to Atkins, but she understood that it was my choice. Now that I've been steadily losing fat and my tests are all coming back the same or better than before, she's behind me 100%. I'm sure some of my LDL converted to type A, but I didn't have a reason to insist on that test. If I were concerned about it, or needed to show an insurance company or other interested party, I would.

clackley 10-22-2013 05:27 AM

Chris Masterjohn warns that blood lipid panels may be skewed due to the mobilization of fat tissues and the resultant release of various lipids through this process. Commonly the ldl # may be higher until about 6 months after weight loss has stopped. This is not always the case.

My lipid panels continue to improve with higher hdl #s even after 3+yrs of compliancy on my ketogenic woe. I actually tested outside the range for Hdl last time (high end).

Too bad insurance companies don't know what the heck the #'s mean. Good luck!